Metal Gear 4

McIcy

Mushi-shi
Some new info for you all

Binoculars and Infra Red/Heat Vision have all been replaced by Snakes new Eye Patch.

Upgradable stealth suit, not yet confirmed but there are areas on the suit where it states pads can be placed here.

New Stealth suit allowing you to blend into any background however this will apparently take a few seconds to fully turn on/charge up.

Onscreen displays we are used to like ammo count, health, armour etc are not planned at this point instead these will all be activated when using the eye patch

The mini robot MKII (about the size of a dog) will be fully controllable by Snake so it can be used to sneak up on guards and shock them. Also it can be used as a scout to relay info via the eye patch. Rumour: Apparently it was planned that the PSP would be used to control the robot via the PSP to PS3 connector cable (this has not been 100% confirmed yet)

Bad Points: Apparently the plot is insanely complex. Worse of all if you have seen the trailer you'll have seen Robo-Raiden slicing though Metal Gears ninja style, he will not be a playable character in the game.

McIcy said:
Bad Points: Apparently the plot is insanely complex. Worse of all if you have seen the trailer you'll have seen Robo-Raiden slicing though Metal Gears ninja style, he will not be a playable character in the game.

The complex plot is a Bad point. I think thats a good point, a huge good point. Nearly every mags and people say the long cutscenes is a bad thing, but I like the long cutscenes.

It has to be complex, its the very last game in the MGS series, so all the question will be answered, and new shocks will come.

They have to put David hayter as Snake in MGS4, no one does a better job than him.

The Plot being complex for MGS4 is a good point, because if a plot is simple then it can make the game boring, while a complex plot will keep things interesting as it will much harder to tell what will happen next..and i prefer not to be able to tell what will happen next.
Long cutscenes can be a bother if the game is more cutscenes than gameplay, other than that it isn't too bad.

keyblade_master uk said:
It has to be complex, its the very last game in the MGS series, so all the question will be answered, and new shocks will come.

Check out the new trailer it starts off with snake looking old but at the end of the trailer he pulls off his camo mask to reveal a young Snake, which is weird as the game is set a few years from now

Apparently its not the fact that its huge just that it gets a bit confusing at times and you can be lost when attaining objectives because you don't understand why your doing what your doind.

I for one love a decent plot but I understand what reviewers are saying as sometimes a plot can be so intricate and twisting you can lose where you are in the game and in a way it then takes a back seat as you just stop caring or being bothered to understand whats going on

Rukario said:
You forgot you can supposedly fight for either side of the battle field.

I thought that Idea was scrapped ages ago. I'm worried about the amounts of different endings thats going to be likely, I mean I want one true ending.

keyblade_master uk said:
Rukario said:
You forgot you can supposedly fight for either side of the battle field.

I thought that Idea was scrapped ages ago. I'm worried about the amounts of different endings thats going to be likely, I mean I want one true ending.

Yeah that plan was scrapped instead of having the option to choose sides, they beefed up the story

McIcy said:
Bad Points: Apparently the plot is insanely complex.
Are we talking 'insanely complex' as in ... i don't know... Deus Ex terms, or 'insanely complex' as in Metal Gear Solid 2 terms. I make the distinction between something intricate and interesting, and something which is actually pretty straightforward, just so laughably cliched and ridiculous that people throw their arms up and say 'oh noes! i don't understands! the millenium bugs are after me!'.
McIcy said:
Worse of all if you have seen the trailer you'll have seen Robo-Raiden slicing though Metal Gears ninja style, he will not be a playable character in the game until Kojima re-releases the game at full price with 100 extra VR missions, a mode where you do something indecent to Ape Escape monkeys and of course, mode where you get to play Raiden's ninja character for 5 minutes of badassery
Fixed.

It's a shame that the story is going to be 'insanely complex', because I don't doubt for a second that it's going to be the bad kind of 'insanely complex' (pretentious, shallow, godawful. Metal Gear Solid 2). MGS4 is the only game so far that has made me look twice at the PS3.

kupoartist said:
Worse of all if you have seen the trailer you'll have seen Robo-Raiden slicing though Metal Gears ninja style, he will not be a playable character in the game until Kojima re-releases the game at full price with 100 extra VR missions, a mode where you do something indecent to Ape Escape monkeys and of course, mode where you get to play Raiden's ninja character for 5 minutes of badassery
Fixed.
Lmao @ being so true it's not even funny.

MGS4 is the only game so far that has made me look twice at the PS3.

yeah same here, but I still can't convince myself to pay the whatever price the ps3 is for this one game (and armored core 3 maybe, but I heard thats coming out on Xbox360)

As for the story line I am a huge fan of the plot, its what has made it one of my favorite games of all time, not to mention the art style (whenever its used) and the exeptionally well designed characters with exelent voice overs. It just has everything that needs to be right in a game for me personally

I can see why people are a bit annoyed at the fact you can't be the new and improved badass Raiden, but I've never had that urge to be any of the more cool looking characters, I guess the style of gameplay incorperated with Solid Snake (and all the other snakes) really appeals to me so I have no urge to play a swashbuckling ninja guy.

but the new cinematics do look incredible esp. the ones I've seen with Raiden so far

This is one of those games that can probably inspire - eventually - me to get a new format (Halo 3 for the Xbox 360 springs to mind too. The Nintendo Wii already has The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess).

I agree about the multi-layered plot point (as in I consider it a good thing). It means there's a lot to get through and digest and I like a challenge like that now and again (particulary in the video game area of interest).

I also like the subtitle for this core fourth entry in the series "The Guns Of The Patriots". Can't help but think of George W Bush for some reason.

Thought I'd share that.

This looks very promising indeed by the way - to state the obvious of course!

The biggest thing about this game I am hoping to see will be the PSP add-on cable where hopefully we will get to use it to pilot the Snakes mini-gear. That would be awesome using the PSP screen to show you what it sees while the main on screen display shows snake external shots of the area.

McIcy said:
The biggest thing about this game I am hoping to see will be the PSP add-on cable where hopefully we will get to use it to pilot the Snakes mini-gear. That would be awesome using the PSP screen to show you what it sees while the main on screen display shows snake external shots of the area.

Hmm, I can see where you're coming from, though I have to admit one thing I don't like the way the video game industry is going is that if you don't have all the major pieces of hardware consumers that might not really wanna purchase a particular format can be potentially penalised as a result.

Don't get me wrong, I got nothing against format connectivity, but I've noticed a trend coming in that is beginning to penalise people who don't have all the formats required. Along with microtransactions, it does concern me.

Still, that doesn't mean this idea / concept is like that. It sounds like a clever novelty idea. That's my opinion anyway. :)

I see what your saying Hovis! buts its only a planned idea and if you don't have the PSP the plan was to have a 'Picture in Picture' mode where the corner of the screen would show what the Gear is seeing, I doubt they'd risk making a game unplayable by excluding people who decided on the Nintendo DS instead of the PSP

Everytime I watch the trailers I just can't imagine David Hayter's voice on old Snake's body, it doesn't seem to fit lol. I hope he doesn't lose the 'badass' tone to sound like 'a fragile old man'. :lol:

And I still want to know what the deal was with Snake being young at the end of the TGS trailer, but knowing Kojima we won't know any of these details until we actually play it.

There was a Kojima interview in the latest 'GamePro', I thought you all might like to see it, credit to Xgreyninja on the IGN MGS boards:

Gamepro:"In fact, Kojima nearly set Metal Gear Solid 4 against the backdrop of a full-blown World War 3, which he thought could serve as a suitable big "finale" for the series.

Gamepro: "But his signature back-to-the-wall stealth pose is gone, making room for a fluid, seamless system that will allow him to sneak quick peaks while behind cover."

Kojima: "(The signature Snake pose) rarely happens on the battlefield. Nobody is cool enough to hide like that. By eliminating this move, it's more like real life. Snake can hide behind something, then sneak a peak and shoot. There are more actions to it, and it's smoother that way."
On rumble:

Kojima: "I really miss the rumble feature, and I already said to Mr. Kutaragi that I want the rumble feature back."
On run and gun gameplay:

Kojima warns that if you use run and gun tactics,"you have to be prepared".

On gunplay:

Kojima says he wants to keep gunplay based at least partially in the near-future world, and will only deviate for the sake of "interesting game design" (he says an example would be the remote controlled missile in MGS1 and 2).

On complaints and long cutscenes:

Kojima: "I am always influenced by all this feedback, and I personally think the cutscenes are long as well. But we didn't make cinemas shorter before because we might lesson the emotional factor or fail to give enough explanation. This time, yes, I am thinking about making them shorter."

On weapon modification:

Kojima lets slip that weapons and mods may have a collection element: MGS4 may allow players to trade gun mods with others online or through some other player-to-player sharing. He also says "you'll be REALLY surprised by how many variations are possible.

On hiding

Gamero asked, "But if Snake can hide in broad daylight by using the high-tech OctoCam suit, will his enemies be smart enough to look for subtle clues in the environment?"

Kojima laughs at this, explaining that his team is currently "adjusting". Kojima also says that if an enemy is scared, he won't spend too much time looking around for Snake, but if he's calm and cautious, he'll take time to sweep the area. He gives 2 examples of triggering panic in enemies: shooting at the ground near their feet, or wiping out the members of a squad, leaving the survivors to fend for themselves.

On Cell as a CPU:

Kojima: "Overall, I think it is difficult, of course. But if it's easy and simple, then how can you differentiate from other games? We're trying to create something different. If I say too much, Mr Kutaragi might get really upset. I think that the PS3 was difficult to work with...but so was the PS2."

On MGS - MPO

Kojima also says there will be game connectivity between MPO and MGS4, but declines to mention details.

On hand-to-hand combat

Kojima also said that hand-to-hand weapons play a big role in MGS4, but declines to elaborate because "that gives away a little bit of how you complete the game, actually."

Both the enemies being scared and trading gun mods online sound extremely cool. Not sure how I feel about shorter cutscenes, I enjoyed watching the long, epic cutscenes in MGS2. :cry: Maybe there'll be more gameplay in scenes that would usually be cutscenes like the shagohod chase scene in MGS3?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back