Media Blasters

devilrules666

Combat Butler
What does everyone think of Media Blasters? I have enjoyed Bakuman, both seasons of Geneshiken and Gokusen from them. What shows from them would you recommend or what ones would you avoid?

I love Media Blasters! They have some excellent titles. They're smaller and more personal than the other companies, and haven't been putting out so much anime in recent months, but despite the occasional dodgy show they have a good eye for series to pick up.

The only thing I don't like is how cheap their stuff feels, like their box sets these days in flimsy sleeves and their very cheap cases. They also pioneered the irritating "release a cheaper box set right after the singles come out" idea which helped drive the US anime industry into the ground, though they weren't the only ones. Despite this, they've done some nice, reasonably priced blu-ray sets, and the actual content is usually solid. I think they've been struggling for the last couple of years but I hope they stick around. And I hope they finally release Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei one day before I die.

R

I don't own a single Media Blasters title at the moment. I was very tempted by Squid Girl as I love the show, but the horror stories I heard about the DVD cases turned me away. Has this problem been resolved at all?

*shrugs* I'll wait and see with the BD release anyways.

I recently picked up their release of Mazinkaiser SKL and, while I can see what you mean about the flimsiness of the cases, I don't think I'd have noticed if it hadn't been brought to my attention.

Seems perfectly fine otherwise.

Joshawott said:
I was very tempted by Squid Girl as I love the show, but the horror stories I heard about the DVD cases turned me away. Has this problem been resolved at all?
Apparently volume 2 has a better, more secure case (my copy should arrive in the next few days) but I don't know whether MB did anything about the first volume. That was the worst DVD case I have ever seen, not even fit for purpose. But yeah, at this point you're probably better off waiting for the Blu-ray.

As for other MB shows, Ramen Fighter Miki is a hilarious screwball comedy about a short-tempered delivery girl. I'd also recommend Midori Days for being that rarest of things: a charming, funny anime romantic comedy. Both are available as affordable complete collections.

Media Blasters have some very good shows, and some very bad shows with some very good dubs, and a couple of not so good dubs.

Some of the better shows (imo) are: Rurouni Kenshin, Genshiken and Bludgeoning Angel.

My only real problem with them is their DVD cases. They are the only company to ever send me bad ones, the first Kenshin boxset had a broken spindle and required replacing. The second Genshiken set had a broken DVD holder middle...section...bit. Due to failing to find a replacement case, the DVD is just sort of sitting loose in it atm. :/

flimsy sleeves???....

I had the impression they where to store our disc not to dance with it!

Anyhow I can't complain they have a varied catalogue and the "cheap felling" sets have made it possible to obtain a decent series without burning a hole in the pocket.

If I may suggest some others, try Oh my Goddess and Magic Users Club. Good luck on finding the latter

I remember when I got my Bakuman DVD, I noticed it wasn't wrapped and when I opened it the discs fell out into my hands. As you could imagine they didn't work properly so I sent them back.

The case for it did seem flimsy but I do admit I got my Toradora! DVD at the time I suppose it was easier to notice.

That is my only real experience with Media Blasters. It may not be pleasant but it doesn't put me off the thought of buying something else off them.

Cases? When I get dodgy or broken cases I just swap the disc and insert into a shiny new Amaray from my box of 100 (which I got a couple of years back at 24p a case) throw the offending one away and carry on with my life. And I don't know what your postmen do to your packages or how picky your DVD players are, but you'd have to run a Brillo pad over a DVD (and hard) to stop any player I've ever had from reading it.

I have Moribito and Twelve Kingdoms BD releases from Media Blasters - Twelve Kingdoms is reportedly excellent (but I can't personally verify that as I haven't actually watched it yet). Moribito has slightly lacking picture quality, but it's still a lot better than DVD.

MB are pretty cool, but I was seriously unimpressed with the way they went about announcing the BD release of Squid Girl. I also didn't realize Bakuman. was out, I should get on that.

Back