MCM July '14 | NEW: Battle of Gods, Bayonetta, Harlock CGI

Re: MCM July '14 | Panel over...

Will definitely be picking up GITS Arise regardless - saw the screening of it at the BFI a few months back and it wasn't as good as I hoped (and I still don't like the new art style for the major) but it's a solid enough watch. Interested to hear what the dub is like (I assume it's all the usual cast back again)

Re: MCM July '14 | Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods - Dec 10th

Lutga said:
My personal theory is that they reckon their 'two series every week' approach could have potentially been damaging sales as people were essentially flooded with choice and didn't know what to pick. A lot of these titles weren't exactly top drawer - so perhaps by pulling back to more recognizable franchises and OVAs, there's less risk essentially, and more guarantee of better sales. Titles get more time in the sun this way, in essence.

Like you say, All The Anime have been really stepping up their game (as have MVM with Monogatari and Fate/Zero), so the whole market is becoming more competitive for the 'big' titles.

That said, I imagine there's more Q4 releases than just these to be announced (aside from obvious ongoing ones like Naruto and Bleach etc.)
Can't find the post but i'm sure in the past - Manga said they were going to start licensing less titles (think it was about the time MVM started to increase again).

If the shelf announcement was for Dragonball Z - that was quite disappointing.

Only interest in Bayonetta and Arise. Attack on Titan part 2, I will be getting the Australian version.

Anyone else announcing anything at MCM?

reborn said:
Lutga said:
My personal theory is that they reckon their 'two series every week' approach could have potentially been damaging sales as people were essentially flooded with choice and didn't know what to pick. A lot of these titles weren't exactly top drawer - so perhaps by pulling back to more recognizable franchises and OVAs, there's less risk essentially, and more guarantee of better sales. Titles get more time in the sun this way, in essence.

Like you say, All The Anime have been really stepping up their game (as have MVM with Monogatari and Fate/Zero), so the whole market is becoming more competitive for the 'big' titles.

That said, I imagine there's more Q4 releases than just these to be announced (aside from obvious ongoing ones like Naruto and Bleach etc.)
Can't find the post but i'm sure in the past - Manga said they were going to start licensing less titles (think it was about the time MVM started to increase again).

If the shelf announcement was for Dragonball Z - that was quite disappointing.

One DBZ film won't fill up shelf space, so I doubt that's it.

Surprised about Battle of Gods, but not on the edge of my seat excited for it by any means...

britguy said:
Don't know why I bothered getting hyped for this "big" "shelf space" announcement :/

Perhaps it was "All Manga releases will come in boxes designed to hold 3x the number of discs!"

Though perhaps they could announce they are using slimmer disc cases, to create more shelf space :)

I guess there was some misunderstandings regarding the announcement, I did some background checks. When Jerome said:
It's Jerome here. I've just signed a contract for a pretty big release. We will tell you about it @MCMExpo #Manchester on Saturday 20-July.
and then later mentioned:
It isn't JoJo. Warner Bros Japan is still deliberating on what to do with it in the UK and Europe.

It comes in a rigid box you could live in, which considering property prices in the UK may be a viable option.
Apparently that last sentence was a joke:
By "Pretty big release" do you mean it comes in an art box the size of a minivan?

It comes in a rigid box you could live in, which considering property prices in the UK may be a viable option.

I won't admit that I was hoping it would be a big title with a box but they should have at least reminded people that the comment was a joke, based on everyone's reaction in this forum it's obvious not many people got it.

I'm surprised they haven't touched upon the negative reaction of the Attack on Titan Collector's Edition set and not even mentioning what comes with Part 2. I'm just curious, how many of us here have gone for the US/Australian version?

Jerome mentions Saturday the 20th... Maybe he means Sunday the 20th?
Either way, there's absolutely nothing of interest come out of today's panel.

NormanicGrav said:
I'm surprised they haven't touched upon the negative reaction of the Attack on Titan Collector's Edition set and not even mentioning what comes with Part 2. I'm just curious, how many of us here have gone for the US/Australian version?

I was going to get the US version before it became clear it was locked to region A, then I delayed getting the Aus version for too long and now I think it's difficult to get hold of. It's one of those releases that I'd really like a nice box for. So maybe I'll just keep holding out until maybe there's a complete US collection that's compatible with region B. Either way I don't fancy giving Manga my money for that rubbish card box.

antonusklesk said:
I was going to get the US version before it became clear it was locked to region A, then I delayed getting the Aus version for too long and now I think it's difficult to get hold of.

The standard Australian version you can still get. I'm sure I read on Madman's forum they had a stock issue, that might be why it seems difficult to get. The LE you won't get now though. I believe it's out of print as it's no longer on Madman's site.

NormanicGrav said:
I'm just curious, how many of us here have gone for the US/Australian version?

You may know from the photos I posted but I have the Australian release. Apart from price, I see no reason to buy the UK Blu-ray. If you can't get the US release because it's A only, get the Australian release. The standard Aus version is better than Manga's CE. The standard Aus version comes with the 24 page book and has the extras on disc 2. You just don't get a box.

Since we're talking AOT - whats the best option(s) currently available for a DVD buyer (don't go suggesting buying a BD Player!)?

Emulsion said:
NormanicGrav said:
I'm just curious, how many of us here have gone for the US/Australian version?
You may know from the photos I posted but I have the Australian release. Apart from price, I see no reason to buy the UK Blu-ray. If you can't get the US release because it's A only, get the Australian release. The standard Aus version is better than Manga's CE. The standard Aus version comes with the 24 page book and has the extras on disc 2. You just don't get a box.
I saw those photos and for a AU release it's rather well done (the only flaw is the legal requirement to have the AU rating on the cover which sort of ruins the side view). I already went with the US release (in addition to pre-ordering the Artbox LE release for Part 2 to protect my Part 1 set) and I'm happy with it now that the whole artbox issue is resolved.

reborn said:
Since we're talking AOT - whats the best option(s) currently available for a DVD buyer (don't go suggesting buying a BD Player!)?

You might as well go with the UK release since the US and AU are locked to 1 and 4 respectively (unless your player is region free so by all means go for the standard combo pack from US since it's actually cheap for a Part 1/Part 2 release).

reborn said:

It's kind of confusing, and I'd suggest a wait and see.

Madman have it listed as PAL on their site

http://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view ... hannelId=1

which suggests that Manga will use the Madman masters for their DVD release. But Madman also have it listed as region 1 & 4, which is what they do when they share masters with Funimation, and they use NTSC discs, which Manga don't touch. So Manga might be authoring their own, which usually means wayward chaptering, stripped down extras, and inadequate subtitling. Or if AU is PAL then they'd use Madman's masters, which are usually pretty good, except sometimes they use really obvious pitch correction (usually on titles they care less about QC-ing, like Dragon Ball Z).

It all might be great, and Manga's discs might be fine. Funimation only sell combo, so you'll end up with the Blu-rays whether you want them or not. If AU does NTSC, then as they don't do combo releases, then that might be one to think about.

I was at the panel and I have to say that I too was disappointed by the choices Manga made. The Dragon Ball movie will be a long term thing. Slightly interested in Harlock. Will certainly get Attack on Titan.

Ian Wolf said:
I was at the panel and I have to say that I too was disappointed by the choices Manga made. The Dragon Ball movie will be a long term thing. Slightly interested in Harlock. Will certainly get Attack on Titan.

Considering they're picking up Harlock with Netflix, I wonder if they'll be doing Knights of Sidonia down the line too?

Lutga said:
Ian Wolf said:

Considering they're picking up Harlock with Netflix, I wonder if they'll be doing Knights of Sidonia down the line too?
From what we all know, Manga UK are definitely interested in getting Knights of Sidonia.

BoG? Oh yessssss!!

Hoping Birmingham doesn't get screwed with theatrical runs again, if it does come here, I'll go to every showing :)

Re: MCM July '14: No plans for Attack on Titan complete set

Joshawott said:
Well, I guess the big one was DBZ: Battle of the Gods.

It's been licensed from Fox instead of Toei though.
pNERgb9l.png

And that picture might as well be my TL;DR for this whole comment/reply I'm posting here. Seriously...

NormanicGrav said:
10/27 - Attack on Titan: Part 2 (Blu-ray & DVD)
10/27 - Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist (Blu-ray, DVD & Steelbook)
11/24 - Bayonetta: Bloody Fate (Blu-ray & DVD)
11/24 - Ghost in the Shell: ARISE border 1 & 2 (Blu-ray & DVD)
12/10 - Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray & DVD)

2015 - Space Pirate Captain Harlock the Movie (Blu-ray & DVD)
- Due to Attack on Titan not being in a chipboard artbox I'm not too fuzzed about getting the parts.
- I have no interest in the life action movie/web series.
- I rather want to own Banjonette, by which I mean... I don't really feel like watching that, and I'm not saying I never will.. But for now: no.
- Ghost in the Shell Arise... If only the SAC series was out on Blu-ray... ... I'll probably wait for the final volume or complete collection to pick it up.
- *insert previously shown picture here*
- Harlock? Aaarrrrgh lock that out. (pun intended) No. Nothing for me. Maybe in the future, but not now. I have a focus on anime anyway.

NormanicGrav said:
Well that was a rather disappointing.
Like about all MCM Expos the last 3 years?
I mean, seriously... I can't really recall the last time I wasn't disappointed by the announcements at MCM.
Most of the time the announcements are expected, or Andrew/Jerome/Tony already gave them away beforehand.

Rosencrantz said:
Though perhaps they could announce they are using slimmer disc cases, to create more shelf space :)
If they do that I request ALL their releases to get a slipcover so it doesn't mess up my shelf like your suggestion would. (I understand where you're coming from though. ^_^)

Lutga said:
My personal theory is that they reckon their 'two series every week' approach could have potentially been damaging sales as people were essentially flooded with choice and didn't know what to pick.
I don't think that problem will change by shifting titles to other distributors or not releasing them in the UK. It'd even damage the UK more I reckon...
And I'm pretty sure the UK can handle more (total) anime releases a week than the current amount. People prioritize all the time.
The thing for Manga was that as with every company there's only so much it can handle.
MVM has about 50 releases this year, Manga about 90 (IIRC said on their podcast) & AtA about 15 (?).
If you want to increase this you have to either hire more people, be happy with putting out bad products (Kaze), release less,... (lots of options)

As far as I understood team Manga has 3 people, team MVM has 2 people and team Anime Ltd has 3 people.
If I recall correctly Jerome said on one of the podcasts team Manga used to have 5 or more persons. And according to an early blog post by Andrew Team Anime Ltd has 5 people. But since we haven't heard anything about 2 of the 5 I'm under the assumption they either left or were fired. I could be wrong though!

OF COURSE (!) you need to keep in mind that for example MVM sounded like they outsource the cover artwork to a designer, and Anime Ltd has one on the team.
And for Manga I believe there's someone who does all covers of Starz. (Once again: I could be wrong though!!)

It's obviously all more complicated than what I just wrote down, especially with Team Manga. And given we rarely get any clarifications we don't really know what they all do..

reborn said:
It wasn't a post. It was part of the podcast. They allowed MVM and AtA to get more titles by announcing they wanted to handle less titles a year so they could do more with the titles they have. Like what happened with Blood-C The Last Dark, Wolf Children, Attack on Titan, GitS, etc.. (that AoT is a disappointment is aside the point here)

NormanicGrav said:
I guess there was some misunderstandings regarding the announcement, I did some background checks. (cont) Apparently that last sentence was a joke
pNERgb9l.png

NormanicGrav said:
Unless it's a stream of comments by multiple people it's easy to "miss" or "ignore" complaints.
About the latter question, maybe you should ask who hasn't... I haven't and as said earlier on in the post I might very well wait for the complete collection (or longer).

reborn said:
Buy a VHS player!! ;D [Nota bene: sorry, had to make the joke]

Dannielle said:
britguy said:
Don't know why I bothered getting hyped for this "big" "shelf space" announcement :/
I feel ya .. : |
Why?! Because "hype" is some kind of a feeling of excitement that promises improvement or something good/awesome, and builds anticipation.
It can be triggered due to lots of us humans tend to be influenced by other humans over "decisions". Which is one of the reasons why this went awry as nobody noticed the joke.
Hype is also a recipe for disappointment like proven by lots of people on this forum and on Twitter.

Which is one of the reasons why I tend to try to avoid overhyped anime/series until the hype dies down a bit, so I can watch it with a more clear view...
I won't always succeed at that and sometimes I'm naturally hyped myself, like with Chu2Koi... But yeah.. HYPE!

Re: MCM July '14 | NEW: Battle of Gods, Bayonetta, Harlock C

Bit underwhelming, that. Will be blind-buying Ghost in the Shell: **** regardless but not much else of interest for me there.

Back