Manga Offer on iTunes Store

chaos

The Boss
Forum user Megagold brought to our attention that Manga is listing both series of "Rave Master" with each series costing £26.99 or £1.49 per episode.
After a quick look, we could find ten series:
- Afro Samurai £9.45
- Astro Boy £15.99
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex £23.99 (each series)
- Gurren Lagann £42.99
- Noein £22.99
- Rave Master £26.99 (each series)
- Robotech: The new generation £10.99
- Tactics £13:99
- Tokko £18.99
-Virus Buster Serge £7.99

Check out <a href="http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPlayListsPage?fcId=293937515&id=25107">Manga at iTunes</a>

I was amazed when I found this due to the fact that it virtually disappeared with no DVD releases or anything after TV runs. As I got Sky after it finished I never got to see it, but always wanted to. £50+ for both series is maybe a little steep though...

Some other interesting things on there too, but I still prefer to buy physical releases, for the time being anyways.

Incase anyone cares (I do), I also came across the fact that 'Rave Master' is also re-airing on Sci-fi in America. *cough*

Awesome, although I wouldn't actually buy any of them. I could of bought the Gurren Laggan boxset for £30, but I turned that up, so I'm not likely to pay £40+.

But don't get me wrong, it's nice to see!

Just comparing those prices which existing dvd prices, they are simply too high, its frankly laughable really.

When you can pick either Ghost in the Shell series for less than 20 quid at multiply on-line DVD retailers how can they think its good idea to sell at £23.99. The same problem applies with titles like Noein, Tokko, Virus Buster Serge

They may get the occasional first time buyer who didn't put the effort to search before hand on google to realise they are getting a really bad deal on there hands, but any already anime dvd buyer is not going to touch them at those prices.

To get anime download to sell in the first place is hard when they have competition with illegal free downloads but to price them even more than the frankly better dvd version is not a good move.

The only way I can see download working is if they offer something which DVD can't offer and that's HD material. But even that has problem with not exactly many true HD anime and of course a lot bigger download to contented with.

Actually Lagann is currently the only one which looks to be cheaper on iTunes than it is on DVD. It's going to cost at least that much if not more to buy the individual volumes.

The first sentance of the synopsis made me lol though: "In a fictional future..."

Aw, I wanted a story that showed us the real future.

ayase said:
Actually Lagann is currently the only one which looks to be cheaper on iTunes than it is on DVD. It's going to cost at least that much if not more to buy the individual volumes.

The first sentance of the synopsis made me lol though: "In a fictional future..."

Aw, I wanted a story that showed us the real future.

Tactics as well if the £13.99 is for the whole series, that would cost more to buy the uk dvd.

Good idea. The prices are all over the place but the more ways there are to buy product the better. I know it sounds crazy but there are some people who are so lazy they like the idea of buying someone an instant gift. For example, my Dad gifted me Torchwood season one over iTunes because I kept refusing to watch it at his place (I hated it anyway, but I did finally watch it that way and it killed a few boring train journeys).

I also rack up a lot of iTunes vouchers from workmates at Christmas because nobody can work out what kind of thing I like, so it gives people in that position something to spend the bally things on. I have close to £50 of credit in my iTunes UK account and nothing I want to buy; I can't be the only one in this weird situation.

I know sometimes iTunes puts up episodes for free as a promotion (usually dubs though). If Beez/Manga can get in on that it might interest people in new series just for the novelty value of a free episode (I downloaded the free iTunes episode one of Witchblade and now have the lot, though the free Blue Dragon hasn't led to any loosening of my purse strings).

R

Not a bad thing for those who can't wait a couple of days for DVDs to be delivered from on-line stores. But I agree with what everyone else has said, it is just too expensive compared to the DVDs. Although I could see myself being tempted with a film or something if I was stuck out somewhere and I could be certain it would download to my iPhone.

I agree, the prices are too high and even though Ipod screens are getting larger I still prefer to watch stuff on a wide screen TV...

How about some introductory prices?

My opinion about downloadable content is that it must be dirty cheap. I'm one of those that likes physical medias, so I would never buy an album from itunes, rather than get the CD, for instance.

Also, most of the times I'm not a person who needs to have things when they are new and "hot". I can wait a few years untill what I want enter the sales bin.

chaos said:
My opinion about downloadable content is that it must be dirty cheap. I'm one of those that likes physical medias, so I would never buy an album from itunes, rather than get the CD, for instance.

Also, most of the times I'm not a person who needs to have things when they are new and "hot". I can wait a few years untill what I want enter the sales bin.

See now i'm the same.

Why pay extortionate prices for something that isn't even physical.

I'd much rather buy the physical media for dirt cheap, have something to show for the money and also have the option to convert it into whatever format I want.

Back