Manga licensed by Chuang Yi Publishing (My Apologies!)

SnowWolf

Adventurer
(NEW) Fullmetal Alchemist: Volume 2 Comparison - http://mangaanotherstory.blogspot.com.au/2016/10/fullmetal-alchemist-volume-2-viz-media.html
Apologies and the Loss of Chuang Yi - http://mangaanotherstory.blogspot.com.a ... ng-yi.html
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle: Volume 1 Comparison - http://mangaanotherstory.blogspot.com.a ... ume-1.html
Fullmetal Alchemist: Volume 1 comparison - http://mangaanotherstory.blogspot.com.a ... ume-1.html
Fruits Basket: Volume 1 Comparison - http://mangaanotherstory.blogspot.com.a ... rison.html

While living in Australia, I discovered this Singapore based company that licences a lot of manga for the English speaking population in Asia, often with different translations. They are also one of the only companies I know of that release English titles with slip covers.

I decided to collect them to see how the translation differs.

I thought about starting a blog comparing the differences, volume by volume with their Viz/Tokyopop/Yen Press equilvelants.

Last edited:
Re: Manga licensed by Chuang Yi Publishing

I think the blog idea is very interesting! I've never seen one of the books on sale over here so it would be nice to see which country is doing the best job.

R

I have heard of them. My friend in high school considered importing the last few Fruits Basket volumes from them because they were ahead of Tokyopop. I have to say, I much prefer Viz's Vampire Knight covers. I'm curious as to how the translations will differ.

I'll try not to disappoint. I decided to collect them to have something slightly different on my shelf.

I can tell you now that Viz win the prize for consistancy. Whilst the quality of their translation stays the same, Chuang Yi's will at it's best surpass Viz and at it's worse...well... not.

Some of the series like Tsubasa and Ouran have a shakky start, but it seems to depend on the translator which can change within a single series.

Instead of replacing the sound effects, they put translations underneath. Chuang Yi also prefers to either translate honourifics to English or leave them out except in a few special cases.

Ah pretty sure I've seen your stuff on youtube. I always wondered why these versions look different. That's pretty interesting to know. Is there a lot of choice from this company?

Cheers guys!

Look at this, if it's even possible Hana is even stranger in the Chuang Yi version of Fruits Basket, lol.

It may take longer for some series then others. My local library stocks some of the Viz FMA's but not all.

Speaking of FMA, strangely teacher is left as sensei in the Chuang Yi version though there is a footnote explaining it the first time it appears in volume 1.

I have the Chuang Yi versions of Pokemon Adventures, they're not brilliant but they're all I could get at the time. Expensive to import though.

Re: Manga licensed by Chuang Yi Publishing (Blog is Up!)

Small nitpick. The front cover you've labelled as the original Japanese is actually the Hong Kong release. Other than that, it's really interesting :)

Re: Manga licensed by Chuang Yi Publishing (Blog is Up!)

st_owly said:
Small nitpick. The front cover you've labelled as the original Japanese is actually the Hong Kong release. Other than that, it's really interesting :)

Embarrassing. Thanks for pointing that out. You can't trust Google search these days. I'll amend it asap.

Thanks for reading.

Re: Manga licensed by Chuang Yi Publishing (FMA Entry is Up!

I've come across them a few times, because they publish Pokémon Adventures and unlike Viz Media, didn't stop for over a decade, so a lot of Pokémon fans imported from them.

Joshawott said:
I've come across them a few times, because they publish Pokémon Adventures and unlike Viz Media, didn't stop for over a decade, so a lot of Pokémon fans imported from them.

I know, they published reprints of the original Viz uncensored edition. I don't know what they're translations were like after Viz stopped though. They've also done the manga version of several of the movies. I own the "Lucario and the Mystery of Mew" one.

I enjoyed that! Since Tsubasa is a long term favourite of mine I found this especially interesting. I'd be upset about the colour pages but since the artbook includes a huge amount I'm ok with it :lol: I agree, it seems like the translators were just enjoying using English and trying to show off a little, but that made it really entertaining! Personally, I like the honourifics left in but that's just a preference. Particularly is Tsubasa when they are quite meaningful in the story.

Thank you for the fun read! :D

PandoraHane said:
I enjoyed that! Since Tsubasa is a long term favourite of mine I found this especially interesting. I'd be upset about the colour pages but since the artbook includes a huge amount I'm ok with it :lol: I agree, it seems like the translators were just enjoying using English and trying to show off a little, but that made it really entertaining! Personally, I like the honourifics left in but that's just a preference. Particularly is Tsubasa when they are quite meaningful in the story.

Thank you for the fun read! :D

Nothing wrong with that. I just think it's strange to use Japanese honorifics in a fantasy setting. It's interesting that Chuang Yi make their own attempts at translating the honorifics rather then just taking them out like Viz would.

Thanks for reading!

Back