Manga in libraries causes more controversy

I love the way this thread has gone from people slagging off manga to the finer points of Shakespeare. :"D

Personally, I thought Macbeth (the only Shakespeare I ever studied) was totally awesome. And I have to say, I love the language, too (although this is coming from a guy who wishes they still taught Latin in schools) - there's something really distinguished about Shakespearian English.

Shakespeare said:
Is this a dagger which I see before me,
The handle toward my hand? Come, let me clutch thee.
I have thee not, and yet I see thee still.
Art thou not, fatal vision, sensible
To feeling as to sight? or art thou but
A dagger of the mind, a false creation,
Proceeding from the heat-oppressed brain?
I see thee yet, in form as palpable
As this which now I draw.
Thou marshall'st me the way that I was going;
And such an instrument I was to use.
Mine eyes are made the fools o' the other senses,
Or else worth all the rest; I see thee still,
And on thy blade and dudgeon gouts of blood,
Which was not so before. There's no such thing:
It is the bloody business which informs
Thus to mine eyes.

What's not to like?

Well let me put it this way. I also studied Animal Farm at GCSE literature. And while I felt that was over analysed in classes as well, I like Animal Farm, and still dislike Macbeth.

I dislike Shakespear but i defiantly would have liked to have learnt latin in school, another of many languages i would like to learn, probably because of my liking of Harry Potter

the way latin was taught at my school (one of the only mainstream state schools to still teach it i think), it was done in a really dull and boring way. i still stuck it until gcse though.

I did English literature for A-level , by the end of it I was pretty tired of the ridiculous amount of analysis we had to put in , but I did enjoy the majority of the books we read ( we did gothic horror novels , which is fortunately a genre I enjoy ) .

You could do Latin as an option after-school while I was doing my GCSE's , I think the staying after school thing was what put me off at the time :lol: , but its something id like to learn in later life , I enjoy learning other languages.

I find it odd that theres a controversy over this anyway, my school and local libary have DC and Marvel Graphic novels and I think a recent addition was the Silent Hill series of comics.

The Bristol libary has copies of Battle Angel Alita on its selves and mostly old Viz releases, and some Tokyopop stuff.

I know that deviates from the current discussion as Latins over my head completly and all the Shakespear I did at school I enjoyed, and on a side note has anyone else noticed that WHSmiths have a started selling manga? I noticed a little Tokyopop stand with .Hack//legend of the Twillight and Tokyo Mew Mew.

Manga seems to be popping up everywhere now , noticed it appearing in small book stores near me , as well as bigger places like Ottakars and WHSmith. In fact the section in the nearest Ottakars seems to be steadily growing , reducing space taken up by american graphic novels.

Does anyone think the controversy over this is because Manga isn't regulated by a Uk group? As they seem to be US imports anyway, I was wondering if Manga or Graphic Novels in general where regulated by anyone?

Red XIII said:
Maybe you should check out the animated Shakespeare, they give the essence of the story in thirty minutes without all the language (also, a different animation style is used for each episode).

I can remember watching Czechoslovacian puppet shows based on Shakespeare when I was about 8 or 9, that's where I remember 12th Night from!
I always fancied trying to figure out what King Lear was about too, as that always seemed like a good one, sadly my school chose MacBeth and we were further tortured with a BBC stage version of it - blech :cry:

A little link between Shakespeare and manga!
In the manga version of Sailor Moon, she commits suicide in the same manor as Juliette in Romeo and Juliette :D

Shenny said:
Does anyone think the controversy over this is because Manga isn't regulated by a Uk group? As they seem to be US imports anyway, I was wondering if Manga or Graphic Novels in general where regulated by anyone?

The controversy this time was in America.

I don't know exactly who regulates manga but it does have to pass some regulation or other, as a lot of it is altered to make it suitable. Tenjo Tenge being the most recently talked about hash job of censoring!

Miaka-chan said:
I don't know exactly who regulates manga but it does have to pass some regulation or other, as a lot of it is altered to make it suitable.
I don't think there is an independent body for censoring manga or anime (or any other books/DVDs) in the US. I gather all the ratings and things are done by the company itself in a desperate attempt to avoid being sued.

Concrete badger said:
MacBeth in the style of a samurai/feudal Japan sort of thing you mean? that might actually work...

Akira Kurosawa's Throne of Blood is essentially Macbeth. I remember watching half of it (my attention span just collapsed after that), and there is a fair comparison. <a href="http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=96309" target="_blank">Take a look</a> if you have £15 (that you don't want to spend on anime) to spare, or alternatively, borrow a copy from someone else (like I did :lol:).

Shenny said:
I find it odd that theres a controversy over this anyway, my school and local libary have DC and Marvel Graphic novels and I think a recent addition was the Silent Hill series of comics.

The Bristol libary has copies of Battle Angel Alita on its selves and mostly old Viz releases, and some Tokyopop stuff.

I know that deviates from the current discussion as Latins over my head completly and all the Shakespear I did at school I enjoyed, and on a side note has anyone else noticed that WHSmiths have a started selling manga? I noticed a little Tokyopop stand with .Hack//legend of the Twillight and Tokyo Mew Mew.
You know come to think of it there has being quite graphic american comics in my local library for ages, so no one should have any right to complain if they get manga there.

You know i was just thinking whether i should go to my nearest WHSmiths to see if they were selling manga there yet, that really would make it a bit more coveniant for me, to have to travel 10 miles for manga rather than 30.
Manga really is poping up in more places, it is in my local book shop aswell now, although no one has really bought any yet, i feel i should, to show them they've done a good thing getting it in but i already have the Love Hina, i think Battle Vixens has too much fanservice for my taste and the other one (i can't remember what it was called) was way too graphic. I think they've done the wrong thing by getting all 16+s in.

Charter_Mage said:
Manga really is poping up in more places, it is in my local book shop aswell now, although no one has really bought any yet, i feel i should, to show them they've done a good thing getting it in but i already have the Love Hina, i think Battle Vixens has too much fanservice for my taste and the other one (i can't remember what it was called) was way too graphic. I think they've done the wrong thing by getting all 16+s in

If thats Ottakars we're talking about, I know what you mean about the 16+ titles. Last time I looked, over half the stuff they had there was 16+/Older Teen. Not smart for increasing the awareness of the general public. Still, a look on <a href="http://www.ottakars.co.uk/Internet/search/searchResults.jsp?searchSort=null&searchInput=tokyopop&searchSelect=author&pageNumber=1" target="_blank">their website</a> yields slighlty better results...

Back