Manga Force - UK anime magazine hits national TV

Thanks for the info on Evangelion, I'll wait a bit before watching it. Maybe I'll get hold of the series first. Is that the name of the series, Evangelion the Series?

pomtry said:
It all just sounds like a waste of money

What makes you say that?

pomtry said:
Because you can see all this stuff on the internet if you look around properly

Sure, but the point of paying for things is firstly ownership and secondly supporting the industry. Hence why I always buy my UFC DVDs rather than simply download them - by buying them, it makes it more likely that places like FightDVD will be able to continue making them, and hopefully improve in the future. Not sure if the same is quite true of Manga Entertainment, but as I can afford it, I'd rather do it this way than the internet route.

Unless I'm jumping the gun and you merely meant you can find better online retailers of the same DVDs?

pomtry said:
Because you can see all this stuff on the internet if you look around properly

I know I could, but that’s stealing. I work 35 hours a week and if someone took my computer programs without paying for them I’d be upset.

I don’t know how you get your income, but I doubt you’d be happy if someone stole your work for free too.

If you did mean online retailers (which I doubt :wink: ) then I think the good thing about this collection is that it introduces new viewers like myself to all different types of anime.

For example, I would never have bought Macross Plus, but really enjoyed it thanks to this collection. The only anime I would have ever considered buying is Akira, and that would have put me off if that was the only one I had watched.

skybluerob said:
Thanks for the info on Evangelion, I'll wait a bit before watching it. Maybe I'll get hold of the series first. Is that the name of the series, Evangelion the Series?
I will answer in full with all the details you never wanted to know! :lol:

The full title is 'Neon Genesis Evangelion'. There's a regular version which just recently went out of print, and a new remastered version which is known as Neon Genesis Evangelion - Platinum.

Remastering doesn't bother me so I've got the first DVD release. Also what with it coming to the end of its run you can pick them up cheap if you look around a little. (£4.99 each on play.com at the moment)

One other thing to be aware of is the Director's Cut of the last few episodes. If you're getting Platinum then you'll be fine, but if you want the cheaper regular version you should skip getting volumes 7+8 and get the volumes titled as 'Resurrection' and 'Genesis Reborn' instead as they have both the normal and director's cut of the last 6 episodes. (I hate it when they don't number the volumes!) Then of course after that comes the Death and Rebirth and End of Evangelion films...

Hope that makes some sort of sense, the release is a bit of a mess. :shock:

The Platinum release is much simpler. There are seven Platiunum disks which can be picked up for around £10 or less each or there's a boxset that's been released in the UK containing all 7 volumes of the Platinum edition. Then all you need is The End of Evangelion which is the movie containing all new footage.

So Platinum and End of Eva and you're done.

Thanks for the info guys, that's very helpful.

I have a birthday coming up so may ask for a few of the platinum releases.

This weekend I'll watch Ninja scroll.

skybluerob said:
Then I tried Akira, and I had heard good things about this, even before I knew what anime was. Whilst the animation was very good, I thought the story itself was baffling and long winded. Overall I was very disappointed with it, but may give it another try. It’s a shame because it started off really well, and then just went ridiculous.

Akira doesn't even appear in the film, which doesn't have as much story to it as the manga does. Obviously the manga develops a lot more over 1000+ pages compared to a film of under 2 hours in length.

skybluerob said:
This weekend I'll watch Ninja scroll.

This is one of my favourite anime films. Or any type of film really. I hope you enjoy it. :D

Finallyyy!!!

Hi all and first of all thanks for your reply! :)

I've found what I needed:
www.gonganime.com

Gong is a legal website which will propose free animations of mangas series.

Their objective is to share its passion with all manga and anime fans. The website is still en Bêta version but will soon be released in its final version, so be ready!!!

Here's a link to videos they already broadcasted over the web.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18ob7 ... tersideral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRs_ng0bD7o

Enjoy!!! :D

Hi I'm new on this forum and new to the world of anime. I would like to inform the users of this board that www.adultswim.co.uk forums are doing a poll asking viewers and suscribers for views on new programming for the block. Many options include a free adult swim fix service and the more importantly a action/anime block. This would be a great oppurtunity to get some anime on UK tv.

So hopefully hop on to site and get voting!

J_C_X you should really created a different thread with this info in the general anime section. i feel it would get alot more attention there.

J_C_X said:
Hi I'm new on this forum and new to the world of anime. I would like to inform the users of this board that www.adultswim.co.uk forums are doing a poll asking viewers and suscribers for views on new programming for the block. Many options include a free adult swim fix service and the more importantly a action/anime block. This would be a great oppurtunity to get some anime on UK tv.

So hopefully hop on to site and get voting!

Are you with Adult Swim?

Nyu said:
J_C_X you should really created a different thread with this info in the general anime section. i feel it would get alot more attention there.

I'm new to the forum sorry about that. I do not work for adult swim but I'm a huge fan of it. Unfortunately on Bravo it ain't going so well and that's Bravo's on admission. Wuld someone like to post it on the news section or other websites for me to get the news across.

Back