Manga Exhibition to Open at the British Museum in 2019

I'm really excited about this exhibit. I think it's wonderful that the museum is branching out and doing an exhibit like this. I also love that they're including many different genres of manga, even genres that are seen as kind of controversial, like BL. I think that it's going to be a great opportunity to help people understand what manga is, and possibly even an opportunity to allow current fans to be more open minded to different genres.
If anyone's interested in trying out a something in a genre like BL before visiting the exhibit, I highly recommend trying out a series like Love or Hate. It's a series that just started out, and it's drama-based, focusing on Haesoo (the main character) who isn't able to make any of his current relationships work because he's hung up on Joowon, a guy that he has a complicated romantic past with. Joowon is still really involved in Haesoo's life, and often emotionally manipulates Haesoo in order to get what he wants. To make things even more complicated, a famous photographer that Haesoo meets during an interview becomes interested in him.
I think starting off with a series like this would be a good intro to a genre not a lot of people have tried because it hasn't been out long, so it will be easy to catch up with, and because it focuses a lot more on drama than on the things that BL series normally get stigmatized for.

I'm really excited about this exhibit. I think it's wonderful that the museum is branching out and doing an exhibit like this.

I share your excitement about this exhibition and I'm hoping many visitors will be able to go (and perhaps they'll make a film for those who can't go there in person, as they've done in the past with other major exhibitions)!

However, I hope you won't mind me clarifying that the series you mention above is Korean and therefore manhwa (I think it's a web comic)? Because we're passionate about all genres of manga here at AUKN, we review BL and have recommended titles like I Can Hear the Sunspot and Go For It, Nakamura! - so do check out our reviews if you're looking for something that's a really great BL read. And there'll be more recommends in our Review of 2018 - not to mention looking forward to 2019; some amazing titles coming then from Kodansha and Seven Seas![/QUOTE]

Back