Manga Entertainment to release first season of Yu-Gi-Oh!

vashdaman said:
Why was the card layout changed? :?

To quote Wikipedia.

In an interview with Anime News Network, Senior Vice President of Digital Media for 4Kids Entertainment, Mark Kirk, claimed that the reason for editing the appearance of the cards was because U.S. TV broadcast laws dictated that the cards were not allowed to look exactly like the real cards that are sold. This is because if the cards in the anime looked exactly like the real cards on retail, then the show would legally be considered a commercial rather than a cartoon, and the cost for airing commercials is exponentially higher than the cost for airing a cartoon.[2] Because this law does not apply to motion pictures, however, in the Pyramid of Light movie, all cards played in duel scenes look identical to the cards of the real-world trading card game.

I always find the irony with Yu-Gi-Oh is that although from a layman's point of view, it looks like a 'kids' game, but the deeper aspects of play and tactics are mind-blowingly complex - like maths professor levels of thinking so many moves ahead and finding cards that play well together. Also, because of power creep, some of the most recent sets have effects monsters with so much effect text on them the font is minuscule to fit it all in.

SnowWolf said:
vashdaman said:
Why was the card layout changed? :?

To quote Wikipedia.

In an interview with Anime News Network, Senior Vice President of Digital Media for 4Kids Entertainment, Mark Kirk, claimed that the reason for editing the appearance of the cards was because U.S. TV broadcast laws dictated that the cards were not allowed to look exactly like the real cards that are sold. This is because if the cards in the anime looked exactly like the real cards on retail, then the show would legally be considered a commercial rather than a cartoon, and the cost for airing commercials is exponentially higher than the cost for airing a cartoon.[2] Because this law does not apply to motion pictures, however, in the Pyramid of Light movie, all cards played in duel scenes look identical to the cards of the real-world trading card game.

Sounds like they were just lazy to me xD. To be honest though, I wouldn't blame them. Would be a lot of work considering how many cards are seen in each episode, especially considering that they can't even get a Pokémon's name right on some occasions (and if I remember correctly, in a pivotal moment of the Yu-Gi-Oh! movie, they did get a card wrong - because Yugi played a card he didn't have in his hand).

SnowWolf said:
MangaUK Confirms Acquistion of Original Yu-Gi-Oh! TV Series

If it's error free and same video quality or better then the US then I might consider swapping out my US versions for these as I only bought the first 3 seasons.
Only "if" though.

According to people who received review discs the 'odd chapter markings' (which have plagued nearly all MangaUK releases as of late) remains... so if you want to skip the opening it will take you to about 3 minutes into the episode itself.

Manga UK released an unboxing of the 1st season. It's exactly the same as the US versions with the Exodia artwork on the spine. However after the 1st print run the artwork will differ and it will just be one big amaray case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back