Manga entertainment early 90's

Rather random post revival but this was the closest I could find to the old Manga topics.

I decided to pop in my DVD copy of Ghost in the Shell which was part of the Manga Force collection range and take a trip through some of the trailers that Manga had to promote their titles.

The trailers first mentioned these lot:

- Evangelion, aka Evangelion: Death and The End of Evangelion.
- Patlabor vols. 1 and 2, aka Mobile Police Patlabor: the Movie and Patlabor 2: the Movie.
- Black Jack: A Surgeon With the Hands of God.
- Detonator Orgun.
- Vampire Hunter D.
- Virus vols. 1-3, aka Virus Buster Serge.
- Kaidohmaru.
- R.O.D.: Read or Die, aka the Read or Die OVAs.

The next set of trailers showcased 'The Collection'. I've seen a fair few examples at a local Sheffield shop and I know there's a topic for that kind of stuff but it was interesting to see how these were promoted by Manga.

- Bubblegum Crash! vols. 1-3
- Sword for Truth
- Vampire Wars
- Ray Earth vols. 1-3, aka Rayearth, the OVA spin-off to Magic Knight Rayearth.
- Amon Saga
- New Gall Force vols. 1-3
- Violence Jack vols. 1-3
- Dark Myth vols. 1 and 2
- Psychic Wars
- Land Lock

How many other 'old Manga' trailers were there in the end, I am rather curious.

I think that covers almost all of them, the only other copies I have on DVD are:

Shadow Skill
Madox 01
Tokyo Revelation
Red Hawk
Dangaioh

Man, so many posts by people we never hear of anymore ;____;

I stopped paying attention to Manga UK trailers once they stopped using their trailerman voice over guy though. After that, they all seemed to be 'lets stick some clips on top of some unrelated thrash metal'.

I still find it weird that in the US, loads of their old content is licensed by Diskotek - dubs and all, but here in the UK, it's all out of print now.

Also, I believe most of the dubs were actually recorded in Wales, of all places.

Lutga said:
I still find it weird that in the US, loads of their old content is licensed by Diskotek - dubs and all, but here in the UK, it's all out of print now.

Also, I believe most of the dubs were actually recorded in Wales, of all places.

:eek: ... I'd say

While we're on the topic of Manga's old 90s dubs - I'm going to safely nominate Shadow Skill as one of the worst, hands down.

This sounds like a opportunity that we should watch some old anime like these.... a group thing... I know we are watching nadia now but watching the old stuff would be fun

I think that same idea came up in some other thread recently, although I forget where. I'd certainly be up for it anyway.

If we do 90s Manga UK titles though, I feel dub watching should be encouraged, so we can all bask in the glorious fifteening.

First of all, glad to see fifteening getting a mention - as much as we've become more sophisticated, I can't help but love the old Cyber City Oedo 808 dub and all the lovely terms used for the robot.

And I suggest a group watch of Psychic Wars, if only for a group drinking game - do a shot every time you realise how horrible it is.

Ahh, those select few titles like Cyber City that never got the transfer from VHS to DVD as part of the Manga Collection.

Note to self get cyber city.

I got that I'm for it.

Oh Andrew.... are you insane we'd be dead in the first 5 mins.

Sounds like a plan... but I recently was looking on the net on landlock and couldn't find it anyways.... so it might be hard to find some of these titles on line.

But I think we should do this.... It's only shorts and movies so it's all easy

Aye, I had to import Cyber City on dvd years back, which is how I saw it for the first time. I really enjoyed it - not a surprise, due to it being a Yoshiaki Kawajiri work. That guy just has a beautiful style...

Anyone remember Madox-01? Just a short and cheerful OVA, but it was one of the first non-pokemon/DBZ anime that I watched.

Not sure I'd say it was his best one, but Cyber City is definitely my favourite thing Kawajiri directed. Always think it was a shame they never did more of that, but I'm sure there were plenty of promising oavs back then that never got past one episode, let alone three.

Madox, I don't remember so clearly, although I'm sure I still have a VHS copy of it kicking about somewhere. If nothing else, I appreciated this sweet bit of production art from it that Colony Drop tweeted recently:

CKdZHwLVAAAR8dw.jpg

animefreak17 said:
Note to self get cyber city.

I got that I'm for it.

Oh Andrew.... are you insane we'd be dead in the first 5 mins.

Sounds like a plan... but I recently was looking on the net on landlock and couldn't find it anyways.... so it might be hard to find some of these titles on line.

But I think we should do this.... It's only shorts and movies so it's all easy
https://www.madman.com.au/series/home/4 ... y-oedo-808

Those Aussies still have it, but I don't know if it has been cut or not (the Australian ratings board isn't that forthcoming with that information).

I'll probably be importing that once I have the funds considering the favourable currency rates at the moment (It's around AU$2.10 to the pound according to xe.com, but I know the banks won't use that rate).

I'm still not convinced that fifteening was a thing. All the Manga UK dubs that are full of swearing were for shows that would've received at least a 15 cert for their violence and/or sexual content (Mad Bull, Devilman, Cyber City, Violence Jack, Demon City Shinjuku, and so on). The Patlabor movies proved that Manga UK could produce good dubs if they had some respect for what they were dubbing.

Having said that, I'm glad that those trashy dubs exist. Cyber City is a lot less... colourful in Japanese.

Was thinking this morning that it's surprising Discotek don't seem to have picked up Cyber City - don't know how the Madman disc compares, but I'm pretty sure there was a remastered Japanese DVD release that I think was a better transfer than CPM's old one. Best guess is that there's a rights or material availability issue regarding the dub. If memory serves, the CPM disc has the Manga UK dub voices, but not their replacement soundtrack, which would be worth having.

Back