UK Anime Distributor Manga Entertainment Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

theirsbailiff

School Idol
Manga-logo.jpg

This will end well.

I would like to announce that Jerome Mazandarani, PR guy of Manga Entertainment, has agreed to do a Q&A session here on AUKN's forums.

I would like to advise everyone here to keep civil and act in a sensible manner when giving your questions/comments/feedback. Considering Jerome's timetable, he might take sometime to answer your questions so please be patient while you wait to be answered.

Pick me, pick me!

A while ago on Twitter, you were asking about the possibility of releasing NTSC DVDs in the UK, citing that doing so would cut costs. However, if memory serves me well, you later stated that idea had hit a brick wall. If you can discuss what that brick wall was, I was wondering what it was?

I believe he spells it 'Mazandarani' :)

Stickied. Please PM me if there is any rowdiness in this thread when a mod isn't about and I'll come soaring in, as we don't want Jerome chasing away before he can get stuck in to the questions.

Edit: I want to ask a question too without my usual cantankerousness!

Have there been any Manga releases which have been a pleasant surprise in sales performance? How about any you looked at and thought would never sell based on the premise/look, which then did ok? Figures or specifics aren't needed, I'm just being nosey about what the UK public buys.

R

What's the hip, hop, the hippity-hop with Bakuman? I heard Kaze were zoning in on it with Manga likely to release it. Any news on that front? =)

Also on a less selfish note. Are there any licences which you could never ever get, no matter the circumstances? What is it that determines your decision to go for a certain licence over another? Popularity in Japan vs the US etc.

What is the point of www.shopmanga.co.uk when you encourage twitter followers to buy (at decidedly cheaper prices) from Amazon, HMV, The Hut, Zavvi etc?

Has MVM's 'Deal of the Week' ever caught your eye? Do you think that could help sales of your back catalogue that, apart from a few exceptions, seems to be ignored and unloved? (I know your HMV sales are your attempt at promoting the back catalogue, but I mean actually encouraging people to buy titles on an individual basis).

Several questions:

With regards to Kenichi, what was the honest reason for it's cancellation if you can at cover it?

Do you see sub only releases becoming more common releases for Manga in the future?

With the recent increase of titles on Netflix, do you see Netflix becoming mainstream viewing for sub only content as far as Manga is concern and how exactly is this exercise benefiting you?

Where do you see the industry in the UK heading in the next year or 2?

Any website improvements planned for the Manga site? I don't want to go to the shop to view your entire catalogue and your homepage in general loads too slow due to all the social networks butting in.

Only one question. Where has shiki gone? I am really tempted by the us release but i would rather buy from the uk. When are you guys bringing it out?

Would Double-Play combi packs be a viable option for series on Blu-ray? I like that it's being used for movies now, mirroring live-action movies over here.

Also could Manga theoretically team up Kaze style with other European distributors for combined European rights? A larger audience would justify the 3000 minimum print run for blu-ray and make it easier to sell them but it'd be interesting to know whether this could be actually be feasible.

Rental Magica, Victorian Romance Emma amongst others were recently released on Netflix UK under "Manga" (They all open using Manga's "Ident") Was this Manga UK's decision or Manga US (and/or Stars Media simply using the Manga brand they own)'s decision?

Also; Statement, for Manga's wallet's sake, they better release Madoka in Blu Ray capacity.

animefreak17 said:
speaking of Strike Witches whens season 2 coming out

The Region 1/A version is out in September. I doubt the European release will be before this (I would think it will be several months after it).

I've got a question.

How come the titles under "the collection" only have english audio? (Animes like Psychic Wars or Vampire Wars)

Oh and do you have any plans to re-release them with the japanese and english audio with subtitles?

We're having some delays at the moment with the Q&A session. Mainly the fact that Jerome's forgotten his username and password here. I've already PM'ed Rui to email it to him so he should be coming here soon.

Are we doing this as an ongoing thing with some back and forth, or letting the questions pile up, so that Jerome can answer them all in one go at his leisure...?

I recommend the latter, as there is less likelihood of temperatures rising, and then we can have another go a few weeks down the line with another batch of questions.

Just Passing Through said:
Are we doing this as an ongoing thing with some back and forth, or letting the questions pile up, so that Jerome can answer them all in one go at his leisure...?

I recommend the latter, as there is less likelihood of temperatures rising, and then we can have another go a few weeks down the line with another batch of questions.

The former I think, Jerome does want to sign in to the forums to answer the questions. I don't think we should worry too much about whether or not flame wars are going to erupt, the staff have got our backs so if anything happens, I just ask them to intervene.

Ok, latest updates

Due to the MCM Expo, a sales meeting and for some reason the Cannes Film Festival, Jerome won't be here to answer our questions until Monday at the earliest.

Excellent work, theirsbailiff, and kudos to Jerome for agreeing to it. I shall try to think of a question more interesting than the ones that are currently coming to mind over the remainder of the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back