Makoto Shinkai's Next Film Unveiled ~ Kimi no Na wa. (your name.)

NormanicGrav

Quintessential Grav
AUKN Staff
Makoto Shinkai has returned to announce his next film project. The film will be called 'Kimi no Na wa.' with a subtitle 'your name.'.

kimi_no_na_wa.jpg

The staff includes the following:
Director/Script - Makoto Shinkai (5 Centimeters per Second, The Garden of Words)
Animation Director - Masashi Ando (Spirited Away, When Marnie Was There, Paprika)
Character Designer - Masayoshi Tanaka (anohana, The Anthem of the Heart, Toradora!)
Animation Studio - CoMix Wave Inc. (Every major Makoto Shinkai works)

The cast includes the following:
Ryunosuke Kamiki (Summer Wars' Kenji, Howl's Moving Castle's Markl, The Princess and the Pilot's Charles Karino) as Taki Tachibana
Mone Kamishiraishi (live-action Chihayafuru: Kami no Ku's Kanade Ōe) as Mitsuha Miyamizu.

Plot synposis:
The "story of miracles and love" revolves around Mitsuha and Taki. Mitsuha is a female high school student who lives in a rural town nestled deep in the mountains. Her father is the mayor and isn't at home much, and she lives with her elementary school-aged little sister and her grandmother. Mitsuha has an honest personality, but she doesn't like the customs of her family's Shinto shrine, nor does she like her father participating in an election campaign. She laments that she lives in a confined rural town, and yearns for the wonderful lifestyle of living in Tokyo. Taki is a male high school student who lives in central Tokyo. He spends time with his friends, works part-time at an Italian restaurant, and is interested in architecture and fine arts. One day, Mitsuha has a dream where she is a young man. Taki also has a dream where he is a female high school student in a town in the mountains that he has never been to. What is the secret to their dreams of personal experience?

Kimi no Na wa. will be released in Japanese theatrical cinemas in August 2016.

If you have yet to see any of Makoto Shinkai's works, there's also a video that shows off what he's directed:

Anime Limited have the rights to Makoto Shinkai's Voices of a Distant Star, The Place Promised In Our Early Days and The Garden of Words. The distributor has released The Garden of Words on Blu-ray and DVD, and is currently planning on releasing the former two works in one collection for 2016 on Blu-ray and DVD. Manga Entertainment UK have released 5 Centimeters per Second on DVD and Kaze UK have released Children Who Chase Lost Voices (under the name 'Journey to Agartha') on Blu-ray and DVD.

Crunchyroll have the rights to Makoto Shinkai's works for streaming and will make them available every now and then as part of Makoto Shinkai weekend for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
A new Shinkai film is always something to get excited by :)

Though not his best, Children who Chase Lost Voices was still enjoyable, so I still have good hopes for this new one.

I have a framed signature of his hanging on my wall so I'm not sure I'm offering an impartial view, but I would say 5cm/s is his most representative work.

Back