Makoto Shinkai living in London, reveals UK influences

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
<a href="http://xcomprandomness.co.uk/2008/03/25/makoto-shinkai-settles-in-uk-london/">'Xcomp's Yuuenchi' blog has posted</a> a fascinating (English translated) excerpt from <em><strong>Makoto Shinkai</strong></em>'s online journal in which it's revealed that the famous anime director is currently living in London, studying English and gradually coming to terms with settling down in a foreign country (including a lament on the UK's slow internet connections compared with Japan). <em>Shinkai </em>has created, written and animated<em> Voices of a Distant Star</em>, <em>Places Promised...</em> and <em>5 Centimeters Per Second</em>; all currently released (or going to be released) in the UK by ADV Films.
<ul> "My friends in Japan have told me that the cherry blossoms are about to bloom [over there]. However, [here] in London it still feels very much like Winter. There&rsquo;s intervals of rain and a cold wind blows. Even so, sometimes you can catch a glimpse of the blue sky and during that moment, the streets are beautiful like a dream as if it was all unreal." </ul>
The journal goes on to talk about <em>Shinkai</em>'s passion for English writer<em> </em><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_C._Clarke"><em>Arthur C. Clarke</em></a> and his regret that the influential science fiction author recently passed away. He explains that the English title of &ldquo;<em>The Voices of a Distant Star</em>&rdquo; (known in Japan as "<em>Hoshi no Koe</em>") was picked from Clarke's novel &ldquo;<em>The Songs of Distant Earth</em>&rdquo;. <a href="http://xcomprandomness.co.uk/2008/03/25/makoto-shinkai-settles-in-uk-london/">You can read the full post over at Xcomp's Yuuenchi</a>.

I wish i knew his adress. So i could just knock on his door and shake his hand. I love that man's films. It was also and awesome coincidence that i'm listening to the 5CM OST whilst i read and typing this.

As much as I dislike Shinkai's work, I found that blog entry quite interesting for lack of a better word. Comparing Piccadilly Circus to Shinjuku is quite a stretch I would imagine but, hearing the slight differences of life from a native Japanese living in the UK is something I've never personally come across, I've of heard the other way around, though.

I've never seen the fascination of London, or the UK that attracts people from all over the world to witness it for themselves, It'll probably be something I'll never know. Hmmm..

It's interesting how there's no stated purpose for his stay in London. I wonder if it's research for his next film? Regardless, I'm fascinated when reading about creators like Shinkai, and that he's currently living in England is two shades of awesome. Also, nice bit of trivia to know he named VoaDS in reference to an Arthur C. Clarke book, very interesting to know he's such a massive fan.

Jayme said:
I've never seen the fascination of London, or the UK that attracts people from all over the world to witness it for themselves, It'll probably be something I'll never know. Hmmm..
The grass is always greener I guess. Tokyo must seem pretty mundane to Tokyoites as well...

Hayao Miyazaki likes Wales so he's got cleaner tastes at least! :lol:

Ushio said:
Jayme said:
The grass is always greener I guess. Tokyo must seem pretty mundane to Tokyoites as well...

Hayao Miyazaki likes Wales so he's got cleaner tastes at least! :lol:

GO WALES 8)

Ok I need to find him and get his autograph! .... Anyway Its rare to see people such as him living in the UK. Most of them seam to go to US if they wish to learn English. Its nice to see somebody breaking the mold.

Maltos said:
I wish i knew his adress. So i could just knock on his door and shake his hand.
QFT! Makes me wish he could be persuaded to make a guest appearance at the Sci Fi London event or something. I was pleasantly surprised to learn of his admiration for Clark though - I can only agree on how influential he was and what a loss it is. Shinkai's reverence for him makes sense in retrospect because I can see a bit of his influence now.

It's a fascinating post actually - London is a fantastic place to visit but I've always wondered how it appears to foreigners.

Martin said:
QFT! Makes me wish he could be persuaded to make a guest appearance at the Sci Fi London event or something.
Didn't he do that (or something similar) just a couple of years ago, introducing A Place Promised?

Gawyn said:
Martin said:
QFT! Makes me wish he could be persuaded to make a guest appearance at the Sci Fi London event or something.
Didn't he do that (or something similar) just a couple of years ago, introducing A Place Promised?
I'm not sure. Hugh David did a little speech of itroduction for Voices and Place Promised at the All-Nighter, which was cool. He was wearing a shiny suit. 8)

I hope he doesn't just stay in London and gets outside of the M25 to see if there really are dragons out there. He might even find more inspiration for his next movie. how about "The Place Promised In Terminal 5", Voices of a distant Great Western train. or "5cm per hour on the M25". :wink:

Back