Macross Frontier OST breaks top 3 in Japan's album chart

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
<a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-06-10/1st-anime-album-in-11-years-to-rank-in-japan-top-3">According to Anime News Network</a>, the first soundtrack for <strong><em>Macross Frontier</em></strong> debuted in the Japanese album charts at No. 3, having sold a massive 72,000 copies since its release last week, and therefore becoming the first anime soundtrack to break the top 3 in over a decade (the last one to reach those heights being 1997's <em>The End of Evangelion</em>).

The soundtrack was composed by <strong><em>Yoko Kanno</em></strong>, famous for her musical contributions to the likes of <em>Cowboy Bebop </em>and <em>Wolf's Rain</em>, and features the singing of pop star <strong><em>Maaya Sakamoto</em></strong>. Space opera / mecha musical <em>Macross Frontier </em>is the latest in a long line of Macross sequels dating all the way back to 1982's 36 episode TV series <em>Super Dimension Fortress Macross</em>. Kanno also composed the soundtrack for 1995's <em>Macross Plus</em>.

For the past few days I've been trying to determine whether or not this album had any first pressing extras. I'm so wanting to own the album, seeing as it's basically a Yoko Kanno soundtrack.. with Macross attatched to it. No wonder it's going down such a storm.
I'm still pondering on whether or not I'm going to buy the DVD/Blu-ray's though, seeing as they contain "Nyan Nyan 50th Anniversary goods", which sound reletively tempting.

I've not really looked into the series much as yet but I have had a listen to some of the songs in it and they do sound pretty darn amazing. I'm quite tempted to buy the soundtrack actually, but i may try to hold off until after my exams.

The best part about this news post was when you mentioned Evangelion ;P

Yoko Kanno is amazing, but I'm still surprised to see an anime OST doing so well. How big is Macross in Japan?

CitizenGeek said:
The best part about this news post was when you mentioned Evangelion ;P

Yoko Kanno is amazing, but I'm still surprised to see an anime OST doing so well. How big is Macross in Japan?

Absolutely massive. The majority of the Macross series' from past decades just had HD remastered boxsets released in Japan, which isn't something you see for any old franchise, so that says it all really.
(And they've been snapped up quickly).

Have to admit, the macross soundtrack is amazing, even though i confess i prefer the songs sung by Ranka than those of Sheyl

not been this impress with a soundtrack since Fullmoon Wo Sagashite

I love both the anime and the soundtrack. Its certainly one of the better sound tracks that the great Kanno has done (do I sound fanboi yet ?). It would be nice to see the series released over here but I am guessing that the issues with Harmony Gold may hold it up.

redgore said:
I love both the anime and the soundtrack. Its certainly one of the better sound tracks that the great Kanno has done (do I sound fanboi yet ?). It would be nice to see the series released over here but I am guessing that the issues with Harmony Gold may hold it up.
redgore posting here?

Back