Lulzsec hackers arrested! :D

Mutsumi

Guild Member
Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17270822

The suspected leader of the hacking group Lulzsec has pleaded guilty to carrying out high profile attacks on several companies.

Hector Xavier Monsegur had been charged with conspiracy to engage in computer hacking according to unsealed court papers filed in Manhattan.

Reuters reports that the charges were filed via "a criminal information".

The news agency says that suggests that the suspect - nicknamed Sabu - had co-operated with the government.

US law enforcement officers have said a total of five people were either under arrest or being sought.

Irish police added that they have arrested one man in connection with Lulzsec's activities and are holding him at a south Dublin police station.

The Press Association reported that police officers in Britain have also been involved in the crackdown.

Lulzsec, which is linked to the online activist group Anonymous, had claimed responsibility for attacks against eBay and Sony Pictures among others.

Last month Anonymous published a recording of a private telephone conversation between FBI agents and London detectives talking about Lulzsec suspects.

'Internal rift'
According to the court papers Mr Monsegur formed Lulzsec last May. It said he acted as a "rooter", identifying vulnerabilities in victim's computer systems.

Alongside other recruited hackers he is alleged to have attacked the US Senate, the cyber security firm Unveillance and the American media group Public Broadcasting Service (PBS).

Prof Alan Woodward, from the University of Surrey's department of computing noted that Lulzsec had been quiet since the middle of 2011 following an attack on Paypal.

"Judging by the level of activity this morning, where hackers have been pasting personal information about the person reported as having turned witness to implicate other hackers, it would appear that there is a considerable rift inside these groups," he said.

"The hackers are certainly acting as if they feel they have been betrayed by one of their own."

Trend Micro's director of security research, Rik Ferguson, added that while this might mark the end of Lulzsec, it would be premature to say the same about Anonymous.

"Anonymous is a very different organisation to LulzSec and other more closely linked groups - anyone can and does act in the name of Anonymous and their activities do not require individual hacker publicity or disclosure of personally identifiable details," he said.

"The very fact that Sabu became the 'celebrity' he was, illustrates the real difference between LulzSec and Anonymous.

"I think the hackers we really need to worry about are those that trusted no-one and sought no glory in the first place."

HA! Serves them right for being dicks. At least Anonymous did things for the right reasons, Lulzsec were just trolling.

Doubles have recently been eradicated from /b/ through an official edict. So grave is such a situation that I consider it far more befitting of our attention.

"Judging by the level of activity this morning, where hackers have been pasting personal information about the person reported as having turned witness to implicate other hackers, it would appear that there is a considerable rift inside these groups," he said.

The rift? Ha, to have a rift one would wrongly assume that the hackers of Anonymous and Lulzsec were once allies. The whole reason they parted was because some hackers wanted to get back at sony for taking away the "other OS" feature from playstation 3 systems and prosecuted a hacker that managed to continuously bypass sony's efforts to get rid of the Other OS feature. As only a select group wanted to do the attack and the rest didn't that singular group became LulzSec. And as most of their operations are made during IM chatrooms like our own "Chat" any evidence to drop each other into the sh** will have gone a long time ago ( i doubt anyone would copy the whole conversation when the aim is to stay un-detected and un-tracable should their laptop/computer ever be searched)

Trend Micro's director of security research, Rik Ferguson, added that while this might mark the end of Lulzsec, it would be premature to say the same about Anonymous.

I Highly doubt that Anon will be affected at all, as stated before; they are two different groups and disliked each other from the start of LulzSecs creation so to see LulzSec expire like this won't harm Anon in the slightest - seriously do these people know anything of how Anon works? its a collection of people with individual goals/aims/beliefs and generalizing a group like that is just idiocy on the highest levels IMO.

The idea that Anon live solely in /b is rediculous, im not sure how long i can continue reading general ignorance .

"The very fact that Sabu became the 'celebrity' he was, illustrates the real difference between LulzSec and Anonymous.

Less a celebrity and more a laughing stock and a donkey to carry all the blame for all of the operations. Why would anyone else come forward and say they played a part/organized the whole thing if there is already a guy set up to take the blame?

"I think the hackers we really need to worry about are those that trusted no-one and sought no glory in the first place."

Again, its not like Lulz and Anon got on anyway so this changes nothing, Its useless misinformation like this that does nothing to help the situation.

That whole article was nothing but uneducated guesswork and facepalm worthy quotes.

The text in that quote box is a little on the large side, Mutsumi.

A lot of what Lulzsec did seemed largely pointless, but my attitude to these things now is that it doesn't really matter what someone's aims are - I find causing chaos for those who think they can maintain order akin to a moral obligation (except not moral, obviously).

ayase said:
The text in that quote box is a little on the large side, Mutsumi.

It looked annoying before, as it was all single lines, no paragraphs. Looked slightly less crap one notch up on the size option.

Back