Lucky Star

Psiq0ut

Completely Average High School Student
I've just finished watching the first episode of this new series, and I don't know what to make of it really.

The series seems to be about 4 schoolgirls...lives I guess.

Wiki Entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Star_%28manga%29

on the one hand, I love all the fighting game references, since I'm a huge fighting game fan myself, however I think unfortunetly this kind of anime is becoming horribly generic and repetitive, as if its trying too hard to be random and funny, almost like a cheap Azumanga knock off. For instance the beginning the first 10 minutes or so are of the main character Kono, talking about how to eat food with her friends.

I think the series has the potential to be a great comedy in anime however I think right now its a bit too samey for my likings. Still I'd love to hear what other people think.

PS- The opening is excellent, really upbeat =D

Psiq0ut said:
PS- The opening is excellent, really upbeat =D
Upbeat? Upbeat? I felt my brain melt when I first saw this. Few have encountered such a fearsome assault of sugary cuteness, let alone survived through it ...and now I can't get the damn song out of my head...

I've seen the first couple of eps, and I'm not overly impressed at the moment. It has its moments (such as the Getter Robo reference when talking about the dentist), but by and large it's coming off as an Azumanga Daioh clone, minus the charm, and with poor pacing and little sense of comic timing in its stead. Still, I'll probably keep watching, as it hasn't offended me too greatly thus far, and I'm sort of liking the idea of the otaku girl being the lead. It's got potential, at least.

I like it.
The Azumanga Daioh comparisons are inevitable, with them both being 4koma adaptations featuring a group of schoolgirls, but I think the humour in them is quite different.
While Azu is more slapstick and craziness, Lucky Star is more slice-of-life humour, which I think I prefer. Lucky Star hasn't had any of the more serious, nostalgic bits that really made me like Azu, but then again I've only seen two episodes, so it's a little early to be making judgements at this stage ^^;

I love it!

I've seen the first two episodes, and will be blogging the third either tomorrow or the day after. As has been said, it does share an awful lot with Azumanga, but the humour is more subtle.

I think that the characters are fantastic, though, and the OP alone is enough to keep me watching the series. Konata - the otaku Aya Hirano voiced lead - is amazing :p .

Ramadahl said:
I like it.
The Azumanga Daioh comparisons are inevitable, with them both being 4koma adaptations featuring a group of schoolgirls, but I think the humour in them is quite different.
While Azu is more slapstick and craziness, Lucky Star is more slice-of-life humour, which I think I prefer. Lucky Star hasn't had any of the more serious, nostalgic bits that really made me like Azu, but then again I've only seen two episodes, so it's a little early to be making judgements at this stage ^^;
My thoughts exactly.

Aya Hirano singing the FMP? Fumoffu ED song in the episode 3 end credits was a nice touch. She's no Mikuni Shimokawa, but it was a decent attempt.

I watched the first 10 minutes and I just got bored... I love the opening music though coz it's quite crazily upbeat.... I'll try to watch this again if I have time.... ^_^

I watched the first 10 minutes and I just got bored

Exactly the same with me, If i wanted to listen to schoolgirls talking about food then I'd go into a school cafeteria, but I don't, so I won't, and I probably won't ever watch this again. I enjoy comedy anime's a hell of a lot, but I just didn't really find Lucky Star to be particularly funny.

I quite like it. The food part at the beginning was boring as hell, talking about some faux French pastry and whatnot, but it picks up after that. Not particularly funny, but a pleasant enough anime.

Ramen89 said:
I watched the first 10 minutes and I just got bored

Exactly the same with me, If i wanted to listen to schoolgirls talking about food then I'd go into a school cafeteria, but I don't, so I won't, and I probably won't ever watch this again. I enjoy comedy anime's a hell of a lot, but I just didn't really find Lucky Star to be particularly funny.
What did you expect from a slice-of-life type anime?

Theres a difference between slice of life anime and this, believe me, slice of life is one of my favourite genres of anime, I dont think this can be classed as such seeing as its not at all like life at all. I look at it as a comedy, and one that I don't find particularly funny.

I read the synopsis of this series but decided it wasn't for me, unfortunately there are way to many series I want to watch at the moment so I had to decide that this one didn't make the cut

I guess this is a real extreme of the slice-of-life genre. The humour is so subtle in a take-it-or-leave-it kind of way that I guess it will fly straight over the heads of people expecting anything even remotely in-depth.

Ramen89 said:

Theres a difference between slice of life anime and this, believe me, slice of life is one of my favourite genres of anime, I dont think this can be classed as such seeing as its not at all like life at all. I look at it as a comedy, and one that I don't find particularly funny.
You might see it as comedy but there's no denying that there's at least some slice of life in it. Slice of life types usually aren't as comedic (if at all) as this so I can see why those elements can be missed.

Watched it, pretty tired at this time of day, but still, from looking at the first ep, if it sticks to this its going to get old fast. Because everyone was talking about it I was hoping to see something better :(

Doberman Pharaoh said:
Just watched the fifth episode earlier today. Still like this, it's good. I can't remember any of their names short girl with blue hair is awesome.

Konata :p

I'm downloading the fifth episode now. ^^

Man I missed out a whole bunch of words there. o_O

I meant to say "but the short girl..."

And Konata, thanks, she's cool. Fifth episode has MMO action that's quite funny.

Doberman Pharaoh said:
Man I missed out a whole bunch of words there. o_O

I meant to say "but the short girl..."

And Konata, thanks, she's cool. Fifth episode has MMO action that's quite funny.

I didn't even notice, as I tend to do that myself sometimes. o_0

Back