LoveFilm taking over Amazon's DVD rental business

Mohawk52

Thousand Master
Saw this anouncement when I just logged in to check my list.
Amazon will be transfering our DVD rental business over to LoveFilm depending on regulatory approvals. Amazon will be buying shares in LoveFilm.

Q: Why is Amazon transferring its business to LoveFilm?

A: LoveFilm's commitment to providing an exceptional customer experience is consistent with our own,(that would be a first :roll: ) and our investment in LoveFilm will help it to grow and serve customers even better. With tens of thousands of titles in its catalogue, LoveFilm offers the most extensive collection of latest-release DVDs and hard-to-find titles, as well as games.

Q: When will the transfer occur?

A: The transfer will occur after we secure regulatory approvals. Amazon will be involved in operations until we're confident we can provide a seamless transition.

Q: How do I set up my account at LoveFilm?

A: At this point in time, you don't need to do anything. You can continue to rent from your Amazon queue as usual. As we get closer to the transition date, we'll provide you with further information.
I left Lovefilm to join Amazon back in '04 because of the terrible service I had with them sending a series to me in order and wasting my rental fee with discs I had to immediately send back unwatched because they were the wrong volume order. I'm none too pleased that now I will be back to the same again. Amazon has been very good with sending series in order to me and happily refunding, or resetting my DVD allowance when the very rare mix up occured. If LoveFilm was anywhere near as good I'd still be with them. This is bad news for me.

If it makes you feel any better I'm with lovefilm and a couple of weeks ago they sent me the wrong disc. I e-mailed them and they were really apologetic, they sent the correct disc straight away without even waiting for me to return the incorrect one.

Maybe they have improved in the last few years?

3 Years is plenty of time for a net based business to sort out its problems, and Amazon isn't the kind of daft company that would sell franchises to just any company. My housemate uses LoveFilm and seems to have no trouble, though they don't usually do series.

Well the good thing about Amazon is if you have trouble with one of their agents or another business operating through their site all you do is contact amazon and they sort it out for you, they are very good for that so if anything does go wrong you should be ok.

When I eventually got them to send the right disc they took it off my monthly quota losing one disc rental unused, and it was a right pain in the whatsit to get them to return it back, I just got fed up with it happening every month and cancelled after migrating over to Amazon. I e-mailed Amazon telling them my experience with LoveFilm and they replied
I have passed along your comments to our developers; customer feedback like yours is essential in helping them determine what additional features our visitors and customers want most.

At this time, they have not provided us with an exact date when they expect this situation to be resolved, but I would suggest you check back in the near future. We appreciate your patience in this matter.

In the meantime, you do not have to do anything. For now you'll be able to continue to rent DVDs on Amazon.co.uk as usual. As we get closer to the transition date, we will provide you with additional information.

Back