London Expo 2008 news

melonpan said:
Paul said:
Naruto has, so far, sold a combined 120,000 DVDs in the UK.

That's absolutely incredible. Seriously.

When you consider the subtitle errors/localization on the first two volumes and dubtitles on the second two, it sure is. I suppose lots of mother must've got it for their kids after seeing the cheap price...

Claymore getting released in single volumes is bad news. Manga looked to be taking the UK anime market forward, moving away from single volume releases and onto double/triple volume sets. Going backwards now they think their name is strong enough to compete with other distributors is a step back for the UK anime market.

It's too bad Blood+ is too expensive - it's a bloody good series, and far better than the crappy movie. Manga might even have gone with their double volume releases due to the 50 episode (or so) length.

Akaten said:
Unless there are plans for Bandai Ent to reissue the film it in the states in separate Blu Ray and DVD editions which Beez could tied themselves into for a simultaneous release.

Bandai JP has a subbed blu-ray only release for WoH; don't see why that couldn't just be cloned with different packaging and released here and in the US (not sure if it's region locked or anything or needs reauthouring). I bought it on a trip out there due to fond memories of the film on VHS. Definitely a valid suggestion for a revival.

R

Aion said:
melonpan said:
Paul said:
Naruto has, so far, sold a combined 120,000 DVDs in the UK.

That's absolutely incredible. Seriously.

When you consider the subtitle errors/localization on the first two volumes and dubtitles on the second two, it sure is. I suppose lots of mother must've got it for their kids after seeing the cheap price...
There's more to anime than watching it in Japanese, so...

The Naruto dub, like most other dubs, is fairly poor. It has nothing on the Japanese release.

But, anyway, my point was that it's impressive Manga sold so many when they did such a poor job with their initial releases. The amount of people who ignored the faults is what caused Manga to not care and not fix 'em.

Aion said:
Claymore getting released in single volumes is bad news. Manga looked to be taking the UK anime market forward, moving away from single volume releases and onto double/triple volume sets. Going backwards now they think their name is strong enough to compete with other distributors is a step back for the UK anime market.

LOL, Manga are by country mile strongest name in the UK for anime from the very moment they entered the UK anime industry with the release of Akira onwards. They have sold awful title in the past (i.e Manga:The collection) and still got sales figures for them which the other UK anime companies are jealous of.

They are already releasing plenty of of tiles in multi dvd releases which other UK anime companies could not afford release this way but Manga can. With the cost licenses/The parent company not wanting backward importing i.e Hellsing not every title can be released as boxset, funimation themselves are selling claymore as singles too.

Anyway it will probably get a box set at some point long term as the single volume release of gits Stand alone did.

Naruto selling that many copies is amazing in the UK imo...

They are gonna have to speed up their release schedule if they are gonna pull shippuden out by summer though.

I will probably just get the U.S Slayers releases as they look very nice. Although I might wait around to see if we get some boxsets as well.

Not sure why I would want 2 GetBackers boxes when I could just get the one from America, but I might wait to see if they bring it out as just one afterwards, as a mirror to what they did in America.

Apart from that, nothing that really appeals to me, except maybe waiting for a School Rumble boxset, if they ever get around to it. >.>

Naruto Shippuuden
I'll be getting the rest of Naruto, I won't really enjoy the fillers but I'm a self diagnosed OCD, I just can't see Series 6 Part 1 then it switching to Series 9 Part 2, I just can't. On the topic of Shippuuden, yay, Akatsuki action!

Romeo x Juliet
I'll be getting it, I have a liking of Shakespeare (though the only thing that's really Shakespeare in here is the characters names) and I'm a sucker for love storys, I know I'm a guy but don't worry I like action too

Aion said:

Have you even stopped to think whether this is a manga ent decision before you started spouting such crap. Look at it this way.

- October 2008 and December 2008: Funimation release Volumes 1 and 2 of Claymore in America enxompassing 8 episodes.

- January 2009 Manga ent release volume 1 of Claymore in UK. Now, if they stuck to their current styles, this would be a 12 episode set.

Funi would not want better collections with a cheaper price point and a more eps to release ratio than their own. Funi do not want reverse importation of the R2UK set into R1 land. It is more likely that Funi have forced this release style upon Manga, and it is not a Manga decision.

Why do people have to moan about every little thing without looking into the topic. The UK scene is much cheaper and swifter than 2 years ago, so just be happy with what we have got.

Akaten said:
Ghost in the Shell 2.0 - can't say I want to Oshii doing a Lucas and spoiling his own film by removing much of the original background art and using CGI that doesn't gel with the original cels, but I would like to see Ghost in the Shell in its original glory on blu ray, fingers crossed it'll get an individual release.

The thing with the original movie is that you don't notice the CG. There is an awful lot.

2.0 will be interesting to see. Certainly Innocence will be great to see in proper HD.

Aion said:

The way Manga said that Claymore was coming out in singles seemed to suggest that it wasn't their choice to do that.

Someone did ask why no one else was trying to do the Manga method and most of them including Manga said that it was down to the license holders if they were allowed to release multi disc titles, which is why they had to drop the Hellsing Ultimate 1 and 2 pack.

Companies like MVM are also smaller and need to recoup their costs after BBFC approvals, mastering and manufactoring and with the numbers anime sell in, its not financially viable to do mutli-disc sets.

As someone else mentioned, Manga can seem to do it as they have a much larger backing in terms of finance.

Dave said:
LOL, Manga are by country mile strongest name in the UK for anime from the very moment they entered the UK anime industry with the release of Akira onwards.

You misunderstand what I'm saying. Manga Entertainment are well known since they've distributing anime when VHS releases were still the way to go, but they also had a bad reputation until very recently. They've managed to repair the damage their past releases have done by not screwing up their Bleach and Death Note releases.

Reputation is more important than age. Before Manga started to improve their quality I wasn't too tempted to even touch their cheap releases out of quality fears. Now it's different.

Have you even stopped to think whether this is a manga ent decision before you started spouting such crap.

You'll have to forgive me for believing it was Manga's choice to license a series they knew they'd have to release in single volumes.

With Hellsing Manga messed up, wrongly assuming they'd be allowed to sell the volumes together. I doubt they'd make the same mistake twice in quick succession, which means that they knew what they were getting into this time.

If we're talking individual volumes, I would've rather MVM picked the series up - they release lovely looking box sets, haven't ever had the quality issues Manga have and I wouldn't have to look at the Manga logo that's so long been associated with low quality. Had they not recently gone south, even better would've been Revelation since they released Vol. 1 art boxes for collectors.

yamiiguy said:
Naruto Shippuuden
I'll be getting the rest of Naruto, I won't really enjoy the fillers but I'm a self diagnosed OCD, I just can't see Series 6 Part 1 then it switching to Series 9 Part 2, I just can't.

Join the club. Thats why I only buy boxsets:p But then again, I like fillers:p

Cago1020 said:
I think most of this is good news. Hoping one of the Beez licenses they're working on is My-Otome, though I dont know how My-HiME sold for them so don't know if there's any demand for it.
At Amecon, Andrew mentioned that Otome is very unlikely. (I asked about it specificially)

Will be picking up Honey and Clover when it comes out. Loved that series - especially the first opening. Hopefully it'll be in cheap box sets too. Have to wonder if Manga will pick up NANA when it starts getting released stateside?
Technically Manga haven't picked up H&C. They are releasing it on behalf of Viz. If Viz release NANA next year in the States, it will likely follow over here.

HokageLuffy said:
* Blue Dragon - 2009

I didn't know Manga picked up edited dubs. Does anyone know if this is actually being released uncut and billingual in the USA?
Again, they're releasing on behalf of Viz. They'll give us whatever Viz give them, which in this case will likely be the editted dub only version.

HokageLuffy said:
* Gurren Lagann on UK TV is a possibility.

If this happens it will be great. Who would air it though? Hopefully Bravo or Pulse.
Who knows, but an interesting factoid (if I remember correct) is that Manga/Starz are dealing with the TV rights on this one. They managed to get it on SciFi in America.

Aion said:
The Naruto dub, like most other dubs, is fairly poor. It has nothing on the Japanese release.
While I can't really comment about the naruto dub, since I haven't heard much of it, I really must call you out on your other statement. There are some very good english language dubs, and yes, there are some bad ones too. Just like Japanese dubs - it's just you can't hear when a Japanese dub is bad unless you're fluent in Japanese.

kupoartist said:
Any indication of whether there will be a blu-ray release of Gundam 00? DVD doesn't really cut it when an HD series is in question.
Not mentioned by name, but there are several titles Beez are working on but can't talk about right now in regards to Bluray releases. We can't be certain exactly what, but a few series spring to mind.

For anyone, like me, interested in One Piece's situation in the UK, then i found this on apforums.

Good Afternoon.

I'm sure the majority of you (even some Americans) are wondering about the UK situation of One Piece. Well, after the Expo, I can shed some light on it.

MANGA ENTERTAINMENT, the company that releasing DEATH NOTE and BLEACH, along with other shows, said that they did want to get it badly, since it is an enjoyable and great show. However, while Toei Animation is a good company, they are charging quite alot for the episodes. They aren't even exactly sure of the amount they want themselves but I know it's ALOT. AND THEN, you have other fees, such as the BBFC rating it. So basically, it's VERY expensive to buy and they aren't sure that it would sell, so it's still a 'maybe'.

The same also applies to Dragon Ball Z by the way. While Warner Bros. have the rights to the movies, the TV show is still avialable. But that's expensive to.

So yeah, they are waiting til Toei lowers the price down a little more. Until then, we'll just have to wait and see

Aion said:

Not everything is about getting anime on the cheap.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the majority of people (and even distributors now trying to cater to this mindset) vastly devalue anime. People don't think about what actually goes into making an anime. Anime is the price it is in Japan for a reason, to keep the animation studios alive from the limited number of anime fans there are for the less mainstream titles.

Claymore is getting a premium release because it's a premium title. That's what Funimation has thought, and quite rightly they've made Manga Ent carry this idea on. Likewise with Darker Than Black and Bacanno.

I do contradict myself a bit though because I do actually like sets, just not the way Funimation are doing them. ADV and Rightstuf sets are the way to go, for their price. Of course sets are the right thing to do for some titles, but only because this naive attitude towards the value of anime from fans has made it that way. Anime 'fans' getting anime for free from fansubs all this time has lead to this change in attitude I think.

HokageLuffy said:
Good Afternoon.

I'm sure the majority of you (even some Americans) are wondering about the UK situation of One Piece. Well, after the Expo, I can shed some light on it.

MANGA ENTERTAINMENT, the company that releasing DEATH NOTE and BLEACH, along with other shows, said that they did want to get it badly, since it is an enjoyable and great show. However, while Toei Animation is a good company, they are charging quite alot for the episodes. They aren't even exactly sure of the amount they want themselves but I know it's ALOT. AND THEN, you have other fees, such as the BBFC rating it. So basically, it's VERY expensive to buy and they aren't sure that it would sell, so it's still a 'maybe'.

The same also applies to Dragon Ball Z by the way. While Warner Bros. have the rights to the movies, the TV show is still avialable. But that's expensive to.

So yeah, they are waiting til Toei lowers the price down a little more. Until then, we'll just have to wait and see

Who wrote this? Just seems like something some random person has written. They don't seem to know about the situation with Dragon Ball in Europe.

kurosaki86 said:
Aion said:

Have you even stopped to think whether this is a manga ent decision before you started spouting such crap. Look at it this way.

Funi would not want better collections with a cheaper price point and a more eps to release ratio than their own. Funi do not want reverse importation of the R2UK set into R1 land. It is more likely that Funi have forced this release style upon Manga, and it is not a Manga decision.
It wasn't thier decision, much like the decision to do Hellsing Ultimate one episode at a time. At the anime industry panel talk where all this was anounced during the Q&A the question was rasied (by me) about if the trend towards releasing more anime in boxsets/ half season releases. The response was where possible. The two main factors were pressure from Japanese and American companies, and recouping BFFC costs. MVM had to push japan quite hard to get Wtichblade in the 1/2 season boxset and ADV stated that they realise that the market for boxsets was one of the reason they were still going in this country.
As for the dodgy subs Manga said it was now doing a deal with Madman to use thier subs (as they use spell check).

Back