London Expo 2008 news

Ryo Chan

Symphogear
Blatently borrowed from Fudce on the AnimeonDVD forum :D

Manga

* Final 116 episodes of Naruto (takes the up to 220), with Shipuden starting next summer hopefully.
* Blue Dragon - 2009
* Honey & Clover - 2009
* Ichigo 100% - 2009
* GitS2: Innocence Bluray next year
* GitS 2.0 Bluray, DVD, and Theatricle release next year
* The Funimation licences are just that, not an exclusive distro deal.
* Claymore will start in January, released in single volumes.
* Afro Samurai Resurection
* Manga Ent. titles to appear on iTunes and Xbox Live.
* Origin was reasonably successful in its limitted appearance at ASDA stores. 2000 were shipped, 1000 were sold, including two weeks in the DVD chart.

MVM

* Blade of the Immortal
* Confirmation of Slayers, Slayers Next, Slayers Try, and Slayers Revolution.
* The first three will be released in four single volumes per series, at usual single volume price.
* Samurai Deeper Kyo
* Cutie Honey Live Action Movie

ADV

* We're not dead yet!
* Getbackers Box sets on the way (two sets)
* Area 88 box in Jan
* Angelic Layer and DNAngel boxes in February
* Hugh'll be talking to Houston next week regarding what the status of the new US licences are in regards to UK rights.
* There is some movement in regards to the Sojitz titles, but nothing concrete

Beez

* Gundam 00 wins the most obvious licence award.
* Gurren Lagann will be bilingual, released in three parts/volumes, with unspecified EU exclusive LE options.
* Gurren Lagann on UK TV is a possibility.
* Gundam 00 and Gurren Lagann should arrive next year at around a similar time
* At present, only Gundam 00 first series, but obviously second series is highly likely.
* Sword of the Stranger has been doing the rounds at the film festivals, and been getting positive responses.
* Hayate the Combat Butler is being considered, but nothing certain.
* Andrew got to say his catchphrase, "we're close to signing several titles right now, but we can't say what..."

Revelation

* They don't make any decisions, all is made at Navarre's level.
* They WILL be completing what they have started.
* There will be boxsets coming next year.

So manga taking the first logical step to providing anime on demand to the UK with xbox live, lets hope others follow soon

Ryo Chan said:
Final 116 episodes of Naruto (takes the up to 220), with Shipuden starting next summer hopefully.

Don't care - Manga ****** up too badly with their first 4 Naruto releases. I now only want the remaining R1 Vol. 1-10 sets.

Claymore will start in January, released in single volumes.

Great, so Manga are going backwards and offering far less value for money now they've proved they can manage to not Mangle some releases. Good news turned bad.

Samurai Deeper Kyo

An action series without animation. This will sell well.

Getbackers Box sets on the way (two sets)

Far too slow - I've owned both R1 slimpack box sets for god knows how long.

Angelic Layer and DNAngel boxes in February

Yay, the series ADV were virtually giving away for £1-£2, now soon to be released in horrible brick box set format for £25-£30.

£10 per volume/movie or £20-30 for LE releases? Sign me up!

Ryo Chan said:
Manga

* Final 116 episodes of Naruto (takes the up to 220), with Shipuden starting next summer hopefully.

More Narutu: Sand Ninjaz!? Hell yeah!

* Blue Dragon - 2009

More Blue Dragon!? Hell yeah!

* Honey & Clover - 2009

Will probably buy it.

* Ichigo 100% - 2009

Oh lawd.

* Claymore will start in January, released in single volumes.

Will definately buy.

* Afro Samurai Resurection

... Only if Ninja Ninja is included.

MVM

* Blade of the Immortal

I was considering downloading the anime but now? Naw.

* Confirmation of Slayers, Slayers Next, Slayers Try, and Slayers Revolution.

Will definately buy them too.

* Samurai Deeper Kyo

Lol.

* Cutie Honey Live Action Movie

Heard it was bad, eh.

Nothing ADV has there interested me, sorry.

Beez

* Gundam 00 wins the most obvious licence award.

I dropped it, but might pick it up through Beez.

* Gurren Lagann will be bilingual, released in three parts/volumes, with unspecified EU exclusive LE options.

-Might- buy it.

Confirmed for the new Narutu!

Revelation

* They don't make any decisions, all is made at Navarre's level.
* They WILL be completing what they have started.
* There will be boxsets coming next year.

Oh good, thank god, now I can finish Mushishi and Beck!

So manga taking the first logical step to providing anime on demand to the UK with xbox live, lets hope others follow soon

Ryo Chan said:
Manga

Looking forward to this, I will be buying them.

* Blue Dragon - 2009

I didn't know Manga picked up edited dubs. Does anyone know if this is actually being released uncut and billingual in the USA?

* The Funimation licences are just that, not an exclusive distro deal.

No One Piece then? :?

Beez

If this happens it will be great. Who would air it though? Hopefully Bravo or Pulse.

So they'll be getting the filler seasons out of the way quickly then?
Well I'll buy them, so long as they're cheap. But I truly hope Manga have learned their lesson and take better care with the DVD releases of Shippuuden.

I think most of this is good news. Hoping one of the Beez licenses they're working on is My-Otome, though I dont know how My-HiME sold for them so don't know if there's any demand for it.

Will be picking up Honey and Clover when it comes out. Loved that series - especially the first opening. Hopefully it'll be in cheap box sets too. Have to wonder if Manga will pick up NANA when it starts getting released stateside?

The only ones i'm really interested in are;
* Afro Samurai Resurection [lol]
* Blade of the Immortal [could be interesting]
* Gundam 00 wins the most obvious licence award. [could be a maybe]
* Gurren Lagann will be bilingual, released in three parts/volumes, with unspecified EU exclusive LE options. [whoo!]
* They WILL be completing what they have started. [THANK YOU.]

Confirmation of Slayers, Slayers Next, Slayers Try, and Slayers Revolution.
* The first three will be released in four single volumes per series, at usual single volume price.

I managed to get US season 3 of slayers (complete) for £12

But revolution is being licensed? Hell yeah 8)

GL On UK TV is about as likely as Nintendo geting a clue, translating and releaseing Mother 3 and giving the guy who runs Starmen.net a trouser friendly kiss and appologising for Wii Music. UK TV has proven itself woefuly inefective at airing anime and GL, hotblood be damned, isn't going to help.

I don't like how Revolation mentioned they're finishing thier series and also metioned boxsets in the same go.

Boo on the Manga/Funi thing not being a partnership, Funi needs a UK Frount that won't do stupid **** or puss out.

Slayers series volumes sound ok, I guess, Would rather 2x13 episode sets but not much that can be done there giving who's frounting the operation.

I've been genuinely amazed recently at how quickly titles are getting licensed and released over here.

I'd be willing to wait a few months and buy Manga's release of Claymore if they release an artbox, but that's unlikely to happen.

Some obvious news there (mainly from Beez'a corner) some not so obvious..MVM with Slayers (and getting the newest series as well) I've been curious about this show for a while now so guess i get a chance to watch it (i know the OVAs have been over here for a long time but i was of the thinking i would need to see the series first)

Manga: I swapped to the R1s for Naruto too after some of the mess on the first few. Good news though and from the size of the Naruto displays in B&M stores this should do well for them. I'll be picking up Honey and Clover from this list; not interested in the other ones they mentioned.

MVM: I already have the rest of Slayers but am interested in hearing plans for Revolution when that time rolls around. I enjoyed CH live action and that one will probably do well pitched at the world cinema crowd as it's very camp and over the top. Again, I already have it though. BotI is potentially sellable to me as a fan of the manga :)

ADV: Nothing I care about still (already have everything I need in ADV US's catalogue, let alone UK) but great news that you're still ticking over; get Houston to grab some more stuff (or get lucky with the Sojitz stuff) and I'll open my wallet.

Beez: Gundam 00 will be a must buy for me without me having to stop to think about it first. GL I already have but will be interested in seeing the UK plans!

Revelation: Pretty much the same as ADV - you're on hold until those older series are finished I'm afraid as there's nothing else you have for me right now.

R

Ryo Chan said:
MVM

* Blade of the Immortal
I didn't bother questioning it before, but, why and how does MVM have BotI? I want information.

Everything else on the list is nice, and I'm fairly pleased I didn't bother with the R1 artbox for Claymore. Slayers I'm intrigued by so I think I may get that, also. Hayate is fun, incredibly, but I don't think much will be lost if Beez are pining for Geass or Lucky Star which surely will sell more. Lagann on TV would be interesting -- I wonder if Sci-Fi UK are a candidate. And, lastly, I might get Honey and Clover. Depends on the pricing.

Jayme said:
I wonder if Sci-Fi UK are a candidate.

I was wondering about that also, would be nice if they showed anime again (though at more reasonable times then it was previously shown at) the american Sci-Fi channel is where both GL and Gundam 00 are being broadcast as as well, but i'll settle for the DVDs just as much

Just posted the following news report up on the main page (linking it through to this thread). Just another round-up, really.

The London Expo was held over this past weekend. It is one of the biggest trade events for the UK anime industry and, as a result, is where many of the most exciting news stories are first broken to the public. Below are the new UK licenses announced by the likes of Manga Ent. and MVM, while the miscellaneous notes offer some interesting tidbits of information from the same companies.

Also, please note, this news post is sourced from a combination of convention reports, including <a href="http://eyeonanime.co.uk/panda.php">EyeOnAnime</a>, <a href="http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1451902&amp;postcount=4">Fudce at AnimeOnDVD</a> and <a href="http://www.uk-anime.net/news.asp">UKAnime.net</a>, all of which offer valuable information that is more than worth reading.

<strong>New UK anime licenses</strong><ul><strong>Beez</strong>
<li>Gundam 00 (Season 1)</li>
<strong>Manga Entertainment</strong>
<li>Afro Samurai: Resurrection</li>
<li>Blue Dragon</li>
<li>Ghost In The Shell 2.0</li>
<li>Naruto Shippuuden</li>
<strong>MVM</strong>
<li>Blade Of The Immortal</li>
<li>Cutey Honey (live action)</li>
<li>Desert Punk (a.k.a. Sunabōzu)</li>
<li>Romeo X Juliet</li>
<li>Samurai Deeper Kyo</li>
<li>Slayers (inc. NEXT, TRY, REVOLUTION)</li>
<li>Solty Rei</li>
</ul><strong>Misc notes</strong><ul><p><strong>ADV notes</strong></p>
<li>Planning to re-release catalogue titles. Specifically, Get Backers will be collected and released over 2 box-sets.</li>
<p><strong>Beez notes</strong></p>
<li>&quot;Up market&quot; box-set of Gundam Wing is being planned; sourced from new HD masters straight from Japan.</li>
<li>Gurren Lagann UK DVD release should mimic US DVD specification i.e. &quot;double volume&quot; releases.</li>
<p><strong>Manga Ent notes</strong></p>
<li>Blood+ is currently too expensive for a UK release.</li>
<li>Manga Ent. anime will be appearing on iTunes and XBOX Live.</li>
<li>Naruto Shippuuden is planned to debut on UK DVD in the summer of 2009.</li>
<li>Origin: Spirits of the Past has sold well, especially at ASDA, while Naruto has, so far, sold a combined 120,000 DVDs in the UK.</li>
<li><a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/news/1756/manga-ent-license-11-new-funimation-anime-series-for-uk">The recent Funimation licenses</a> are not a part of any on-going distribution agreement between the two companies, rather, each title was licensed seperately.</li>
<li>The UK DVD release of the Claymore anime will begin in January '09 across several 'single' DVD volumes i.e. the traditional method of releasing anime on DVD, as opposed to a box-set.</li>
<p><strong>Revelation Films notes</strong></p>
<li>Reassured their customers that they intend to finish releasing all of the anime series <a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/news/1741/revelation-films-delay-releases-until-2009">they suddenly placed on hiatus</a> earlier in 2008.</li>
</ul>

Back