Live action Blood: The Last Vampire moving ahead

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
In talking to AICN, Hollywood movie director Ronny ("Freddy vs. Jason", "Bride of Chucky") Yu has confirmed his intentions to adapt Production I.G.'s popular gothic horror OVA Blood: The Last Vampire into a live action movie.

According to Yu, the movie is currently in pre-production though will be set in "... 1948 in Tokyo, just after the bombing, just after the war. I think it will look visually stunning because of the ruin of the city and all the death all around the city."

Yu's Hong Kong work is more impressive; he directed Jet Li's Fearless - which looks pretty damn good. And I must admit his idea of setting the movie in such devastation is very interesting. Looking forward to this, looks like it could be the first in the mooted slew of anime to live action adaptations.

Hmm possibility of this film being any good? I dont know. Can only hope they do a good job. Then you never know anime to film adaptions might take off in a big way.

There wasn't all that much story to Blood so its kinda strange that it would be picked up like this. Then again, the concept of a vampire being used by generation after generation as a weapon against evil is quite cool.

To be honest Im not to mad about the idea of anime to film adaptations :( , I get the feeling that they must loose a lot of the visual style and feel that the originals have.

Wildcard said:
There wasn't all that much story to Blood so its kinda strange that it would be picked up like this. Then again, the concept of a vampire being used by generation after generation as a weapon against evil is quite cool.
Well the movie was just a section of a 3 part story but that was the only part they animated missing out all the back story(probably because action seels more than story, just look at Advent Children). I think the novels fill in on the backstory so it might use elements from them.

It could work but I'm worried at the choice of director, or more importantly the efforts he's worked on previously. Still, time will tell.

Wildcard said:

To be honest Im not to mad about the idea of anime to film adaptations :( , I get the feeling that they must loose a lot of the visual style and feel that the originals have.
Yeah I feel the same way. Especially when they use american actors that have not seen or heard about whatever title they are acting in. I mean just who could play Saya and not come off making her look like another Buffy instead?

Oh god didn't he do those really bad Freedy and Jason date movie... sorry horror movie.

So we are gonna have an american cast with Sarah (fill in end names) 'like totally' killing those meanie vamps style movie.

God I fear for this project already

We'll see if it reaches the screen. I've lost count of the number of live action anime movies that have been started and sit either in Development hell or died with all hands. :?

butch-cassidy said:
We'll see if it reaches the screen. I've lost count of the number of live action anime movies that have been started and sit either in Development hell or died with all hands. :?

I kinda hope it does slip away into the darkness with the chosen director and american influence

Back