Little Norse Prince on Film4 this week; Tue and Thurs at 5pm

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
In another TV broadcast well spotted by UKAnime.com, Film4 will be airing Isao (Grave of the Fireflies) Takahata's 1968 anime feature Little Norse Prince on Tuesday 27th February at 5:35PM and Thursday 1st March at 5:15PM.

Both showings will be Japanese language with subtitles, given Little Norse Prince has never had an English dub (and isn't even released on DVD in the US).

Well I watched it, coming away with very mixed feelings. On the one hand, some of the characters were very interesting, and there should be real credit to the voice actors who actually managed to bring life to the film. On the other hand, however, I couldn't help but keep thinking to myself thayt I was glad anime has come such a long way since the 60s. The animation was deciededly flat, which I imagine was due to low budgets.

In the end though, I -am- glad that I watched it; another Miyazaki film to cross off of my to-watch list.

You can't say that the opening fight with the wolves, or the splashes of water during the fight with the pike (those have never been done better) or the lens flare effect during the sea voyage, or the amazing musical numbers in the village with all those moving characters were 'flat'. It's just that, because of all the resources poured into those, 2 other key scenes were left animated and appear only as a kind of coloured-in storyboard with the soundtrack. This page has more info on the production: http://www.danielthomas.org/pop/film_reviews/horus.htm

Back