Link posting etiquette discussion (from UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains)

ActionFaust

Mad Scientist
A link so people can go and get it:

And I guess I may as well state that it’s £9.99 on blu (or £4.99 DVD)
However; I seem to have purchased a copy for £3.99 in the xmas sale, so it’s not that good a deal, especially just a month later.
There's a link and prices in the embedded tweet. Does this not show up on your device?

There's a link and prices in the embedded tweet. Does this not show up on your device?
I can see there’s a twitter link in the post when looking on my phone, but I’m not clicking that.
And I guess I’d simply consider it useful / best to provide actual site link and prices, as opposed to an unknown / undesirable third party redirect anyway.

I can see there’s a twitter link in the post when looking on my phone, but I’m not clicking that.
And I guess I’d simply consider it useful / best to provide actual site link and prices, as opposed to an unknown / undesirable third party redirect anyway.
I don't recall Twitter links being seen as that much of an issue on this forum, especially coming from the official distributor. Seems pretty unusual to me but you do you.

Last edited:
If you click the link in the tweet whilst on this forum, you won't have to actually open twitter at all, to get to the site dotw page. I do it all the time myself as my phone lags.

Dude it's a shortlink, literally no different to a direct link posted here. It's not even a third party redirect as it was created by the Anime Limited guy advertising it.

While I don't think it's a big issue, I'm actually with Googlyhead on this, I much prefer direct links myself, I use noscript and while I have to allow 2 twitter domains to get twitter posts to load at all, I don't allow their t.co url shortening domain, if I do need to follow such a link I'll use "inspect element" on the link and copy the plain url from the post that way, but more often than not I just won't bother with the link at all.

And yes, it can be reasonably argued that url shorteners on twitter in particular actually make sense, given the character limitation per "tweet", but they (twitter) could have just as easily made hyperlink urls not count towards the limit, only the clickable link text itself, the only reason for them not do so is data collection (measure engagement and the like), and I just hate that kind of bs.

Anyways, most probably already know this, but in the case here of the MVM dotw they actually always appear under the exact same url, so I just have that bookmarked;
https://www.anime-on-line.com/2964-Deal-of-the-Week

While I don't think it's a big issue, I'm actually with Googlyhead on this, I much prefer direct links myself, I use noscript and while I have to allow 2 twitter domains to get twitter posts to load at all, I don't allow their t.co url shortening domain, if I do need to follow such a link I'll use "inspect element" on the link and copy the plain url from the post that way, but more often than not I just won't bother with the link at all.

And yes, it can be reasonably argued that url shorteners on twitter in particular actually make sense, given the character limitation per "tweet", but they (twitter) could have just as easily made hyperlink urls not count towards the limit, only the clickable link text itself, the only reason for them not do so is data collection (measure engagement and the like), and I just hate that kind of bs.

Anyways, most probably already know this, but in the case here of the MVM dotw they actually always appear under the exact same url, so I just have that bookmarked;
Yeah I don't see it as much of an issue either. Just found it kinda obsolete is all.

I only posted the price / link because an item was mentioned, but there was no detail in the actual post about the item, nor that it was a better offer less than a month ago.
And yes; I use blockers to restrict such as twitter as much as possible, so there was just the pretty useless twitter:/xyz url.

On my desktop; I’ve set it up so ‘bad’ urls like twitter simply return the custom text of ‘Warning: Bad link blocked” so I don’t even have to worry.
Skipping over the odd no-content post is a small price to pay for peace of mind, and it just means I’ll be giving my money/attention to a company with better practices/policies.

tl;dr: sorry for replying to a twitter (re-)post just because it had other content.

also worth noting that some people have adblockers on or socialmedia blocking options in their browser so the twitter links will just show up as a url

I couldn't live without an adblocker in my browser, it's a godsend just for the blu-ray.com forum and YouTube, so yeah, I have to click on every twitter link in the posts to see what they are. I can live with that.

Last edited:
I use adblock but it doesn't affect Twitter links for me. Great for Youtube as Girls with Guns said.

Calling Twiiter a malicious website you need peace of mind from is highly amusing though.

I use twitter linking mostly for recently recieved posts as my phone camera takes images that are over 3mb and the forum doesnt like it

I used to upload to Twitter then redownload to get images under 1mb but it was just quicker linking

If its preffered to upload images rather than twitter link then I can go back to uploading. Just seems a waste of storage on the forum imo

In general I do think it's good practice to quote relevant parts from whatever you link, or otherwise summarise it. This is useful in case of link rot or if the content changes after the fact. And it also works nicely with the forum software, where it gets properly indexed and can be searched on, and when quoting segments you can jump back to the source post.

With the tweets embedding for most people, it probably feels superfluous to do so, but for those where it remains a link, some context is needed to even know what it's about. IMHO the post that kickstarted this discussion is fine, it indicated the title on sale and where, but that might also be because I'm familiar with MVM's DOTW.

As for linking to the tweet or directly to AOL, I'm not sure. I generally prefer direct links, but in this case I find both options fine. That one of them happens to contain a link using Twitter's URL shortening is a pity for those that want to avoid those. Either skip it, use a third party url expander (which I do), or try and find the information another way.

Back