"Like all trash, you only started out strong."

Aion

Time-Traveller
Note: This topic is for you to post if you've ever gotten into a series, thinking it's amazing, and then gone on to discover that it isn't as wonderful as you first thought. Feel free to comment on my own little rant, but know that commenting on my rant isn't the purpose of this topic. If it was, it'd be in the dead Eden sub-forum.

Also, spoilers ahoy. Only read if you're up to chapter 64 of Eden, or don't give a toss... or have an awful memory.

-------------

Have you ever read eight volumes of a manga before, fell in love with the mangaka's work, feeling certain you'd found a new favourite manga... only for there to be a sucker punch waiting to be unleashed right around the corner? I have.

Eden, right from the start, has jumped around like a rabbit on crack. One minute it was a post apocalyptic drama, with bible references. Next it was an action thriller, involving a thrilling last stand and zombie soldiers. Next it was a gangster drama, involving prostitution, drugs and assassinations. Next it was an erotic comedy, involving a 15-year-old falling in love with an experienced 'lady' and getting called '9 second boy' by the other women around him (at a whorehouse); treated like a kid by all, despite being the son of a drug lord and killer.

Eden doesn't have a main story beyond its premise for the first eight volumes. Really, ignoring the setup prologue, which explained what happened to the world, all that you'd NEED to take from the other volumes is character development and the links between each character. It's almost as if the first half (at least) of the manga is all setup for a big finish; a setup where the scope remained narrow.

Despite all of this, I became obsessed with Eden. Despite all of the different genres and story arcs, and the lack of flow, the content was at such a level throughout that I couldn't help but tip my hat to Endo. And, in between all of the story occurrences, there were character development flashbacks thrown in, which made me care about the characters I was following whilst not seeing a main story thread.

...So, what went wrong? Endo did. He pushed his luck too far. Although it bothered me at the start when he jumped 20 years into the future, after only just having established interesting characters, I understood why he did it: he wanted to keep readers hooked from the start; giving them some mystery to add to the flavour. Or, at least that's what I thought was the case until it became apparent Endo never planned on explaining just how Enoah managed to become the biggest drug lord in South America (I was told, even at chapter 117, there's been no flashback arc). It's lazy at best and incompetent at worst to not at least try to cover the events that occurred during a 20 year time gap. Imagine if you'd read Berserk without the whole 'Band of the Hawk' saga getting time - it isn't that big of a difference.

But it wasn't THAT time-skip that got me. I'd accepted it, becoming too involved with the main characters in the present of the story to cry over the prologue characters not getting developed. No, what really, really, REALLY got under my skin was another time-skip; one that occurred at complete random at chapter 64. I know - Endo is a random guy who sees no problem with jumping around without spelling out the location or date - but just jumping ahead all of a sudden, skipping four years of development in the process, isn't good story-telling. Endo's solution to problems seems to be, if it's too much hassle to explain it, use a time-skip to avoid doing so.

Sadly, worse was yet to come when the details of this new, four years into the future setting became clear. The last time Helena was shown (volume eight) she'd taken Elijah's virginity and the two had fell in love; her healing Elijah's wounds and his innocence giving her something her profession took away from her. They were shown to be happy. But after the time-skip, she'd left Elijah for reasons unknown, run off with some random, never before seen (no joke) cop, and was killed off in a few panels.

WHO THE ****, IN THEIR RIGHT ******* MIND, WOULD KILL OFF THE EMOTIONAL SUPPORT/ROMANTIC INTEREST OF A LEAD RIGHT AFTER SPENDING TIME GETTING THEM TOGETHER? HELL, WHO THE **** WOULD TURN A LIKABLE CHARACTER INTO A CHEAT!?

Helena had became my favourite character because of her bravery, intelligence and sexiness, and she'd became an important character... yet Endo just went, "Hey, let's throw in a time-skip needlessly, adding new characters, and remove the best character in horrible fashion! That'll please people after I just spent a fair few volumes making her - a character from near the start - into a somebody!!!"

I swear to God, I want to punch him. I really do. Never before has a ******* comic book made me angry. I rarely get any emotion about anything. But Endo has managed to **** up in such spectacular fashion that I can't help but visualize my fist connecting with the drawing of a face I was ready to worship some seven hours earlier.

Honestly, I don't think Endo knows how to execute a lengthy series. He can handle short stories superbly, and he can handle a series of short stories with some connections, but he fails when he tries to go beyond that. Even before volume ten - in volume nine - there were signs of Eden slipping when, as randomly as ever, Endo decided to chuck in a seemingly rather pointless China/Muslim terrorist arc - one which focused almost entirely on disposable characters. With the amount of variation in Eden, it should be titled 'Endo's Tanpenshu 2', if anything.

...*sigh* As you can probably tell, I'm feeling ever so slightly pissed off at the direction Eden has gone in. I still want to like it and, though it's tempting, I'm not going to low score it right now. But I can't keep reading it. Instead, I'm going to give myself a 'calming down period' and, sometime next year, buy books 7-12 before continuing. If I keep reading it at the minute, I'm just going to hate it more and more, I feel, and I don't want that. I'd need a dartboard with Endo's face on it first.

I had a similiar experience with Eden in so far as I went into it thinking the artwork was excellent and the story pleasingly bleak in a sort of JG Ballard kind of way, but I burnt out on it a lot quicker than that. I stopped reading after I got to the end of the first volume, meaning to go back to it soon, but thinking back over the huge prologue section, I just got the feeling that, while it looked deep and meaningful at first glance, there was no substance to the story. It just seemed like a jumble of half-suggested ideas and conflicting metaphors that didn't go anywhere.

I also gave up on Parasyte after they killed off the psychic delinquent girl. Aside from being built up as having some kind of power that was never really explained or demonstrated, she was far more entertaining than the useless doe-eyed main love interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty much how Eden seems to be, yeah. It's as if Endo just chucked all his ideas into one work, mixed them together and hoped for the best. The arcs, and their various genres, don't blend very well together (though, early on, the characterization made me overlook the issue) and, for all his qualities, Endo appears to not not know how to do the easy things, or how to handle deaths.

I will say this: if you'd read beyond volume one, you'd be hooked. It starts slow but, starting with volume two, it's pretty much non-stop action. Most seem to comment that a fight in volume four is the best ever drawn.

Even after the halfway point, it was never even clarified how Elijah came to own an armoured transport and robot. While it was made pretty clear why he was wandering around, why would anyone let a 15-year-old travel around a world like Eden's?

It's a shame the story wasn't told without there being huge gaps. Had Enoah's rise to power and the Elijah/Helena change been covered, there wouldn't be such anger from me. The fact the story jumps around for fun does it no favours whatsoever.

Helena was a slut anyway, she had it coming, getting one-shotted in a single panel. Feels good man.

You're going to make Eden the new Death Note for me, please stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spoiler tag that ****, you dumb nigga. You've probably already ruined it for some since, y'know, this topic isn't just a spoiler-filled Eden topic.

Well, damn, even to me, Eden sounded like being one of the overall best of the bunch, start to end but it seems to be getting worse everyday I log into this site.

First, the later volumes are impossible to get hold of and now a hate thread on it.

Hmm, maybe the later volumes will give it justice......?

I may just have to go down the same road as Aion though, at this stage, I'm too eager to carry on after reading the first two volumes.

Heh, sorry - I didn't intend to push my thoughts onto you. As anyone who's listened/read me a few times knows, I'm a tad negative, even about what I like. But it's certainly true that chapter 64 is probably the worst chapter I've ever read, and I on-holded Eden as a result.

It's somewhat amusing, actually. Intended to discuss what I liked about Eden but, in the end, all I've done is point out that it's impossible to buy in full and make an 'I HATE YOU, ENDO!!!!!!!!!' topic.

It's best to judge for yourself, rather than let me judge for you. You'll more than likely see the same issues I do since even someone I messaged who has it in their top five agrees with my points, but don't let me ruin it for you. Even I'm not right 100% of the time; no matter how much good taste God/Allah has gifted me with.

If you do get up to the point I'm at, share your thoughts. I can totally relate to how addicted you must be after the action got going in volume two!

It's one that I'll probably carry on in the future, but for a start, now that I know the later volumes are impossible to get, it's probably a waste of time. It really does seem like one of those series to read from start to finish over a fairly short period of time.

Without looking too much into spoilers and from other reviews I've seen, I kinda get the idea of what happens around that volume.

I guess that's pretty frustrating especially after you've warmed to certain characters. But from my warped mind, there's a certain beauty about destroying and re-building, as long as it's done right. Maybe it'll turn out right in the later volumes...

The thread idea pretty much describes most harem manga/anime I've started reading. They generally have an interesting premise to get you started, then degenreate into the standard love polygon where nothing ever changes until the last episode.

hopeful_monster said:
The thread idea pretty much describes most harem manga/anime I've started reading. They generally have an interesting premise to get you started, then degenreate into the standard love polygon where nothing ever changes until the last episode.
sounds a tad like Love Hina, where the romance only picks up during the last 3 or 4 volumes :lol:

While I might (please lord, please) be jumping the gun with this one, I have a bad feeling that one of my favorite mangas is losing the plot and the point.

I will admit I am an avid follower of Skip Beat! which for me felt fun and fresh while keeping good elements that I enjoy, nothing ground breaking but a good read that manages to leave a smile on my face, and laughing a good number of times, and more importantly I actually give a damn about the characters that the author has created (my number one requirement for raising a manga from the "meh" pile to the "must have" pile).

I follow the series both online, and once available I purchase the books, from which point I am up to book 19, however the online releases are much farther ahead (come on Viz move it!) with the most recent chapters presenting nothing new, no real deep meaningful development in any real aspects of the heroines overall character, be it her acting skills, where new roles and opportunities become available which really challenge her, or in her love life, where she comes to accept with greater understanding those around her and their feelings, without blowing a gasket. It did seem as if things were moving forward only for the closing chapter of the most recent arc to basically pull "author amnesia" and eliminate any progress made during the arc, at least in my opinion.

I shall follow the series with much the same feeling as when I first started, and no doubt will come to like and loathe parts much the same as I am now. But a new dynamic to the plot, and not a flash in the pan gimmick would really add something with meaning to this already brilliant series.

With all that said and done, back to recovering from flu.

Back