Light Novels - Can someone explain this to me

Ammish

Stand User
Yeah, I was searching at a Series I was interested in called Shakugun no Shana (also known as Shana).

Basically, it have a Light Novel series, and I'm confused. What is a Light Novel and how different is it to the manga.

Please and Thankye ^^

The difference between a Light Novel and manga is that manga is pictures and Light Novel’s are prose. They usually have just a few manga style illustrations. Here's a link to the wiki entry. It’ll explain better than I can.

Kind of. I wouldn't exactly call them ‘a lot of reading’, as they’re hardly like Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment. They are generally aimed at teenagers. I’m reading Kino No Tabi at the moment and it’s just a nice easy read really. Good for lunch breaks and the like. Buy the Shana one and find out if you like them. If you like the series I'm sure you'll enjoy the book.

harkins said:
Kind of. I wouldn't exactly call them ‘a lot of reading’, as they’re hardly like Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment. They are generally aimed at teenagers. I’m reading Kino No Tabi at the moment and it’s just a nice easy read really. Good for lunch breaks and the like. Buy the Shana one and find out if you like them. If you like the series I'm sure you'll enjoy the book.

Yeah, I will... (if I can find a shop that sells them >.>)

Chrono Demon said:
harkins said:

They are quite hard to get a hold off, eBay or somewhere could be good ?!?!

harkins said:

So how are you reading them? In their native Japanese, or can you buy translated versions?

Also, does anyone know if such a thing as hiragana-only (e.g. all kanji written out as, or annotated with hiragana) manga or light-novels available?

i thought manga is mostly written in katakana and hiragana, with some kanji, but i probably am wrong heh. Erm you can get some light novels translated, i will be getting the FMP ones when they are released later this year which i'll be looking forward to and i read the haruhi ones from time to time. They are pretty easy to read and i find them enjoyable.

Jayme said:
Chrono Demon said:
harkins said:

Yeah, it would be good if my parents would set an account without their credit card being used ¬¬

But they won't listen, even though if paypal is safe ¬¬

Chrono Demon said:
Jayme said:
Chrono Demon said:
harkins said:

Yeah, it would be good if my parents would set an account without their credit card being used ¬¬

But they won't listen, even though if paypal is safe ¬¬

Can't you get a friend to buy it and you give him the money for it; Thats how i got Bleach HtS3

Apparently light novels are kind of a trend in Japan, I also bumped into this recently and did some Wikipedia searches about it. I'm considering getting into the Boogiepop franchise which apparently kicked off the whole light novel trend in manga/anime, the unfortunate thing is that most of the light novels I have seen myself are only available in Japan or America, and we Brits are pushed aside.

When I first heard the term, I simply assumed it was a novel that was considerably shorter in length to an average one. I haven't read anything about the length of light novels but that was my first thought upon hearing about them.

After reading through all of the first novel of haruhi and most of the second, i would say they are smaller compared to that of a normal novel, but there is still a lot in them. Usually a normal novel would take me a while to get through but when i read through the light novel, it took me maybe nearly half the time, but i found it just as enjoyable as any other novel i read.

Since we're on the subject, what is a good website to important things such as light novels, and/or manga/anime that I may not be able to purchase here? There are some series' that seem pretty cool but aren't available in the UK yet but are in the US.

Back