Legend of Galactic Heroes

The highest selling type of anime Japan side is real robot!! "Moe ****"* (self contradictory, blegh!) in general does not sell, only the stuff by Kyoto Animation sells consistently high.
For shounen stuff it's the stuff with large fujoshi fanbases that do well.

The actual numbers (or at least a half decent metric) for the top stuff past decade.
http://2chan.us/wordpress/2010/11/22/2ch-translation-2000-2010-best-selling-tv-anime/
Theres a big change in reporting in 2007 when online started counting, so some more recent stuff will place higher.

*please just use actual critisism of the show instead of a label that makes no sense.

I don't think purely going by home video sales is really the only way of looking at it, though. Nor is only looking at series that sell 10K+ copies, which tends to be skewed far more towards "mainstream" series and ignores the *vast* majority of late-night series. 10K+ is "big hit" not "standard success".

The problem with anime is, it's a bitch to find a newly airing title that doesn't include school girls, isn't about otaku (fad), isn't retarded, and is good. Somewhere along the way, anime went up its own ********; making it less and less appealing to those in the dark. That isn't to say there aren't ANY titles that meet the required criteria - it just means the majority doesn't.

AironicallyHuman said:
The problem with anime is, it's a bitch to find a newly airing title that doesn't include school girls, isn't about otaku (fad), isn't retarded, and is good. Somewhere along the way, anime went up its own ********; making it less and less appealing to those in the dark. That isn't to say there aren't ANY titles that meet the required criteria - it just means the majority doesn't.

Don't forget the fun you can have trying to get people to actually watch a show that does meet those criteria. The Tatami Galaxy died on its **** when I tried to show it at one of my local societies.

ilmaestro said:
But I'm not sure there have ever been other shows of the like of LOGH

tytaniaopalbumcovery.jpg

emotrazzv.gif

I tried to watch Tatami, awhile back. For whatever reason, no matter what player I tried, and even with the JP lang pack installed, I only got a ton of X's for subtitles; X's in brackets. Most odd. But, on the rosy side, I do believe Funi licensed it... didn't they?

...*sigh* My anime life would be a lot easier if school girls, their pantsu, and Gundam models were my heart's true desire. Maes has it good, man...

PS: The fujoshi thing - does that mean Roys are the key to anime's continued success?

I wasn't sure if Funi were going to produce DVDs or just stream it, but the fact that Beez has licensed it rather makes my day.

Stuart-says-yes said:
If you start telling your self that you like school girls and pantsu and watch as much "moe ****" as possible eventually you will.

aclockworkuguu.jpg

The problem with the anime industry and its fan is as follows:

You get an anime about school girls and their pantsu, it gets attention: http://myanimelist.net/anime/7817/B_Gata_H_Kei (24,000 members listed)

You get an adaptation of a world famous novel, with no moe/fan service junk, and this happens: http://myanimelist.net/anime/1695/Les_M ... jo_Cosette

I was forced to cease communications with a member on this website known by the alias 'fabricatedlunatic' after he dropped Les Mis after one or two episodes but finishes school girl titles, regularly.

(And, to top it off, I've just discovered that some pantsu-loving **** deleted my 5ish paragraph Les Mis/Ganku rec from months ago. Recommendations based on hair colour are accepted, but not well thought out ones? Grrr.)

...Going back on topic, Monster sold so well in the US Viz stalled its release, after the first box set. LotGH would do worse.

AironicallyHuman said:
I tried to watch Tatami, awhile back. For whatever reason, no matter what player I tried, and even with the JP lang pack installed, I only got a ton of X's for subtitles; X's in brackets. Most odd. But, on the rosy side, I do believe Funi licensed it... didn't they?

...*sigh* My anime life would be a lot easier if school girls, their pantsu, and Gundam models were my heart's true desire. Maes has it good, man...

PS: The fujoshi thing - does that mean Roys are the key to anime's continued success?
That's you not having a real up to date media player on your computer. http://www.cccp-project.net/
Fairly easy to tell if it's a straight rip of FUNi's Stream as they're 360p, not 720p like the TV broadcast.
FUNi only licensed for stream not disk, Beez are actualy the first anounced English licensor.

There's a lot more BL fodder anime on, charts show a lot more bishounen than they used too.

PS: B Gata H Kei got attention by it's voice cast, not by the plot.

Professor Irony said:
ilmaestro said:
But I'm not sure there have ever been other shows of the like of LOGH
Tytania
Well, that's what I mean by being confused by the vagueness. What exactly makes up a show "of the like" of LOGH? I'm presuming that shows like Tytania don't "count", otherwise it's just too obviously false to say that those shows have no chance of being made.

Yeah, I know it's probably more about the simultaneous grand scale and attention to minute detail that LoGH manages to pull off, but I just couldn't resist.

I really need to go back and finish Tytania. I only saw the first few episodes, but my LoGH-loving friend watched it through and he rated it relatively highly.

Maxon said:
Reaper gI said:
PS: B Gata H Kei got attention by it's voice cast, not by the plot.
No, it got attention because of its concept/theme.
I understand there might be completionists who watch everything by certain actors but your saying that is everyone. Of course it freaking isn't. What Maxon said.

Logh is def in my top 5 list of greatest anime series ever. Nothing compares to it in terms of its scale and how epic it is.The dialogue is intelligent and thought provoking and every character has a genuine purpose no matter how small. I do wish more anime series like this were made but it did have a strong source material to follow in the novels.

Back