Legend of Galactic Heroes

BreadandButter

Completely Average High School Student
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KRtYuG6MgX8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KRtYuG6MgX8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
I'm just so disappointed that LOGH will never get licensed. I usually hate hyping shows, but I got to say this is the de-facto, best anime I've ever seen. It combines a good deal of history and politics, and takes it to a grand scale. Animating a series of japanese sci fi novels isn't an easy task, and it's a daunting project, but they managed it nevertheless.

And there's a lot of tea (or coffee) drinking involved.

I'm afraid it's even longer than that if you take into account all the side stories and such. I've watched the first 28 episodes, but I've yet to get back to it unfortunately.

If the length of it puts you off, you could always just watch the pilot film, "My Conquest is the Sea of Stars" to see if you'd like it. It's (relatively) self-contained and it's only an hour long, so it's not a big commitment.

Your not the only one, there's a few (me included) around but there still lacks some sort of topic to discuss since its not really an active property like Gundam or Macross. This might be good for bumps whenever people see something mindblowing during their watch of it, however.

Jayme said:
Your not the only one, there's a few (me included) around but there still lacks some sort of topic to discuss since its not really an active property like Gundam or Macross. This might be good for bumps whenever people see something mindblowing during their watch of it, however.
We can talk about how ridiculous the stage play looks like http://gineiden.jp. But honestly, LOGH is a pretty vast universe. I'm sure there's plenty of stuff to talk about.

Yeah, it's pretty long, but so is Naruto, One Piece and Bleach. If you can stomach 300+ episodes of those, then I don't see any problem stomaching LOGH. Sure, there's a lot to take in in each episode, but you can always watch it at your own pace, like I did. Each ova are about the same length as a tv episode anyway.

Professor Irony said:
I'm afraid it's even longer than that if you take into account all the side stories and such. I've watched the first 28 episodes, but I've yet to get back to it unfortunately.

If the length of it puts you off, you could always just watch the pilot film, "My Conquest is the Sea of Stars" to see if you'd like it. It's (relatively) self-contained and it's only an hour long, so it's not a big commitment.
The side stories aren't vital in understanding the main series. Also, Votoms is awesome.

It's probably not one for the hardened RTS nuts, but I played a demo of the most recent PC game a while back and it's quite fun if you get the chance to check it out (skip to 1:20 for gameplay).

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JaPl4DSFUQI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JaPl4DSFUQI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

BreadandButter said:
Also, Votoms is awesome.
I'm glad to see someone else has actually watched it :)

Your not the only one, there's a few (me included) around but there still lacks some sort of topic to discuss since its not really an active property like Gundam or Macross.

This isn't entirely true. It's right in the middle of a remastered Blueray release in Japan. Unfortunately the UK isn't on the same region code as Japan though. Now for those of us across the Atlantic, we have the opportunity (however expensive) to own good copies. :D

Some of we US fans are hopeful of seeing some kind of development, as two high-ranking staffers put in an appearance at Otakon 2009. It's just a shame nothing ever came out of the two dubbed pilot episodes from several years back.

Panda said:
This isn't entirely true. It's right in the middle of a remastered Blueray release in Japan. Unfortunately the UK isn't on the same region code as Japan though. Now for those of us across the Atlantic, we have the opportunity (however expensive) to own good copies. :D

Some of we US fans are hopeful of seeing some kind of development, as two high-ranking staffers put in an appearance at Otakon 2009. It's just a shame nothing ever came out of the two dubbed pilot episodes from several years back.
It's region free, like normal for anime. The import barrier is the language and price. Region has never been an issue, importing a US BD player is going to be much cheaper than any 1 of the 4 parts of that.

It's US anime releases that are locked A, and that's normaly only if they're licensed by someone in Europe (normaly France) already.

The only chance of LoGH being released in English is if there's a billionaire business man or woman who is also an anime fan and is feeling particularly benevolent.

They could license the series, subtitle it, and release it as a deluxe complete collection on BD and DVD with the most extravagent packaging ever seen (preferably a digipack so ayase is happy) outside of Japan. And charge as little as possible for it. They'd almost certainly make a loss, but they could afford to, and just think of the kudos from anime nerds worldwide!

So if there are any billionaires reading, what are you waiting for?

There was a bootlegged LoGH box set (think it was the first 28 eps) in my local used disc store for ages, but sadly someone else bought it before I could resolve my ethical reservations and pony up the money for it. It was an obvious fake, but it was quite nice all the same - had the German logo on the front and everything.

ilmaestro said:
Plus, from what I am told, the BD releases aren't exactly all that hot, anyway.
I can't imagine it improving all that much. I'm normally one for HD treatments, but it does strike me as pretty pointless.

Professor Irony said:
I've watched the first 28 episodes, but I've yet to get back to it unfortunately.

Oddly enough, I burned out after the 28th episode, also.

LotGH wouldn't sell. It's wordy, not flashy and not the most entertaining show out there. It's a lot like Monster in the sense it's intelligent but too slow-paced and lengthy to sell well outside of Japan.

If MVM felt Gankutsuou was too much of a risk for our market, I somehow doubt anyone in America would dare risk licensing something that would cost a lot and promise little in return.

...actually, I do vaguely recall a thread where a R1 distributor had a pre-license 'show commitment by paying a little up-front before we license' thing going for LotGH, at one point. I guess it didn't go so well...

I'm a fan of the series. I could join in... but I've done all my hyping and discussing of this show elsewhere. There's no more I can say.

Probably the grandest animated narrative I'll ever come across. We'll never see its like again among all this moe ****.

Oh God, did I get cynical again?

Perhaps just "behind the times" would be more appropriate. It's a few years now since people did all their moaning about the fact that people don't spend money on the anime that they themselves like but people who like "moe ****" will spend the money that keeps the industry going.

ilmaestro said:
Perhaps just "behind the times" would be more appropriate. It's a few years now since people did all their moaning about the fact that people don't spend money on the anime that they themselves like but people who like "moe ****" will spend the money that keeps the industry going.

Spend money? Explain this concept.

Also, if we're talking about the Japanese market, no doubt your statement is true (I acknowledge that anime is predominantly driven by what the otaku crowd over there will pay for). If we talk the US market, I think it doesn't hold. Or, at least, I've heard arguments (ANN? AWO?) that all the moe **** the online community download for free never translates into actual sales in Western markets.

And the argument is not even remotely behind the times. It's still raging.

Feminist vs. Wapanese Elite -- IT'S ON!!!

Put him in his place for me, my Vivian. He has a policy of pretending I don't exist, and that prevents me 'debating' with him, man-to-lesserman. There are some things you are useful for, and this is one of them.

---

In Japan, all anime fans warmly embrace the idea of raping school girls. That said, something like KON, when sold with official pantsu, earns 10x more money than Gankutsuou.

In America, children/mentally disabled Narutards buy anime. The older generation think DBZ is mankind's greatest creation. The newer one's, Naruto. That said, LotGH has no business being in America.

Shounen, school girls, or GTFO seems to be how it goes.

VivisQueen said:
ilmaestro said:

Spend money? Explain this concept.

Also, if we're talking about the Japanese market, no doubt your statement is true (I acknowledge that anime is predominantly driven by what the otaku crowd over there will pay for). If we talk the US market, I think it doesn't hold.
There is no longer a US market of any significance, for any practical purposes as far as the anime industry is concerned. The anime industry is borderline entirely funded by the Japanese otaku market. The statement wasn't intended to suggest that you, or anyone in the West, either doesn't spend money, or isn't prepared to, just that you need to appreciate what it takes to keep the industry alive in the modern climate where people in general have proven that they don't spend enough money on certain things to make them profitable.

And whilst, yes, I agree, people do still rage about the perceived lack of quality anime titles these days (hey, it's people on the internet - if they're not moaning, they're not trying), the lack of substance behind the argument certainly became old a while ago.

It's entirely possible that I'm misunderstanding you due to the vagueness of your initial post, though, I'll admit. But I'm not sure there have ever been other shows of the like of LOGH, depending on exactly what you mean, so it seems a bit rash to blithely generalize that it must be all that moe's fault.

Back