Legal Streaming 2019: Q3 Summer Season

Steering this back a little bit, Fruits Basket and Demon Slayer are the only things of interest for me on Crunchyroll this season (and I'm already familiar enough with the former to the point where watching it isn't anywhere near as exciting as watching something fresh). It would be the first service I ditched and I wouldn't especially care, which is a shame as it's been so good in previous seasons. They don't even have Anisong Station (RIP) to keep my interest during weaker periods any more.

I can afford to subscribe to multiple services but most people can't, and even though I can afford it I resent potentially paying for five different services for one show each. I'm not someone who will watch shows I'm not interested in just because they're there. All that this 'competition' does is divide the audience and leave younger fans with no easy way to stay connected. Streaming is meant to be the more accessible cousin to premium physical releases.

Let the services compete with the quality of their technology and reliability, not with catalogue-wide exclusives and restrictions.

R

My top five from this season so far are:
  • Astra Lost in Space
  • Given
  • How Heavy are the Dumbbells You Lift?
  • If It’s For My Daughter I’d Even Defeat a Demon Lord
  • Vinland Saga
  • Honourable Mention: Dr. STONE

• Astra Lost in Space
  • O Maidens
  • DanMachi 2nd Season
  • The demon girl next door
  • Lord El-Melloi II Case Files: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note
  • Honourable Mention: Re:Stage!

Studio Ponoc (Mary and the Witch's Flower)'s Modest Heroes anthology film has been picked up by Netflix for exclusive streaming on their platform. It will be available on 1st September in English & Japanese audio.

Netflix has decided to merge the seasons for Blue Exorcist and Gunslinger Girl, so that rather than having 2 pages it's going to be 1 each.

In other words, Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga's episodes are now on the Blue Exorcist show page, and Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino-'s episodes are now on the Gunslinger Girl show page.

And I'll mention it here just in case people forgot, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: The Battle of Unato is coming to Netflix on 13th September. Foreign dubs so far have retained the same cast as the main series, the status of the English dub is unknown.

Also, any announcements in relation to the Autumn 2019 season are now to be placed in its own thread (which has been made early due to very early streaming announcements).

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion Season 1 and Tenkai Knights have been renewed for Netflix.

Initial D Legend 2: Racer is now streaming on Amazon Prime.

The Testament of Sister New Devil DEPARTURES (the hour-long OVA special released back in 2018) is now streaming on Crunchyroll.

Back