Le Chevalier D'Eon #1

fullmetalrose

Brigade Leader
Have been reading reviews about this new anime, and in a visit to Forbidden Planet yesterday saw it was on the shelves. A bit pricey so have resisted...for now. It looks visually stunning but would be interested to hear peoples' opinions on it before taking the plunge, and wondering maybe I should just wait for the box set (have limited space!). Has anyone had the chance to see it yet? Am probably asking too soon as I think it has only just been released.

Setting:

"In the beginning was the Word. Those were the days when King Louis XV ruled... Versailles shone in all its glory, and upon the course of the Seine, flourished the city of Paris, pervaded by beauty and chaos. Time changes everything. Only the words remain. That is why I, D'Eon de Beaumont, tell the story of myself, and my comrades who believed in the spirit of France. I shall relate the events which ended an era, and of the woman's body found floating in the Seine. Her name was Lia de Beaumont. My elder sister."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Chevalier_D%27Eon

The story sounded interesting to me when I first heard about this, but it's one of those anime I can't take a risk with so I'm waiting until it gets real old and cheap before I buy it. :]

Hmm, I'm seriously considering getting this. It just looks so incredible and has been getting universal good reviews! Any idea on how many DVD volumes there'll be?

Sounds interesting, but also sounds like they've brushed off the fact that D'Eon was basically a non-operative Transexual in order to avoid scaring the largely male fanbase. Sure, they're not being 'historically accurate', but that doesn't mean they can't throw in some deeper issues in between the violence and the supernaturalness.

Despite the reviews, ( or maybe because of :? ) this isn't really something that I personally would consider buying.

( On a side note, what surprises me, is they think something with such a limited appeal as this warrents a DVD release, yet something that in my mind has a wider appeal - Airgear, is relegated to being download only. :roll: )

Tasker said:
( On a side note, what surprises me, is they think something with such a limited appeal as this warrents a DVD release, yet something that in my mind has a wider appeal - Airgear, is relegated to being download only. :roll: )

I'm not so sure. Le Chevalier D'Eon has gorgeous and expensive animation, a link to history, a storyline that isn't half as "weird" as most anime series. I think D'Eon has got lots of appeal. I'm sure my non-anime watching friends woudl prefer to watch D'Eon than Airgear to be honest.

Le Chevalier d'Eon

Managed to watch volume 1 of this anime at last! Have done a mini-review...hope it is ok, not written an anime review before. Am amused that having been a fan of anime for no more than three/four months already have managed to enter the world of cross-dressing soul-trading zombie-attacking angst-ridden fantasy anime stories…

Le Chevalier d'Eon

Now first I must speak about the animation/graphics and it really only needs one word: wow! Very beautiful, smooth, pretty and the backgrounds in Versailles and Paris seem very accurate and detailed. The English voice-actors all seem to suit their roles, but have not gotten attached to anyone (except maybe d’Eon) as I have done with FullMetal Alchemist and Nadesico voices. Early days yet, only watched the first volume!

For a knight d’Eon seems to be pretty crap with a sword, if it were not for a timely soul-possessing by his dead sister (which he resists!!!!) and meeting with new buddy Durand, who kicks ass with a blade, he’d be dead by now am sure. I wonder if he has a whole Harry Potter complex and will just survive through his friends and pure luck! He seems to have a fiancée at the royal court that I’m not keen on yet but apparently she has a secret, heck all the characters probably do, so maybe that’ll help! There is also something which is of a less gross and more disturbing-weird nature, the Queen of France has a skull that talks! Can not tell you much more than that but my brother and I were both like: wtf?! Creepy-disturbing-weird!...cooooool! There is also the obligatory little-kid by the name of Robin, has not annoyed me much yet and seems to be more sensible and kick-ass than some of the adults! Now Durand I cannot get out of my head as looking almost like an anime version of Louis from Interview with the Vampire! I think the green coat and long brown hair probably makes this illusion, but he seems pretty smart so far. Cannot tell you much really about the other characters as it is all still new in my head but the zombies are very gross/freaky/gothic/horror looking! There was me wondering what else might have contributed to the French Revolution – Zombies, all so clearly obvious now! ;-)

Those that know me might be surprised I am a fan of this, having disowned so many Hollywood films for destroying historical truth, The Patriot (only saving grace being the casting of Jason Isaacs!) and Braveheart being but two! Yet due to the wonderfully weird storyline it makes it ‘less real’ enough to accept the bending of certain truths and you try and spot the names dropped in and remember what they might be famous for.

In the same way that the manga series of FullMetal Alchemist differs from the anime series I hear the same has happened for Le Chevalier d'Eon. Meaning I am sooo going to have to save the pennies for this series!

Le Chevalier d'Eon – recommend for anime fans who love beautiful animation, gothic/historical drama and horror! Worth the wait? Definitely!

Oh, you're making me want this series more and more! And I can get it for about €10 a volume from Amazon Marketplace too! But, I'll have to be strong and resist as I already have the first GitS: SAC boxset on order, have yet to finish Cowboy Bebop and I'm collecting RahXephon at the moment!

I heard that there were some dodgy CG effects in D'Eon - did you notice any such thing?

CitizenGeek said:
Oh, you're making me want this series more and more! And I can get it for about €10 a volume from Amazon Marketplace too! But, I'll have to be strong and resist as I already have the first GitS: SAC boxset on order, have yet to finish Cowboy Bebop and I'm collecting RahXephon at the moment!

I heard that there were some dodgy CG effects in D'Eon - did you notice any such thing?

There might have been, but to my eyes everything seemed fine! I hasten to add that I'm relatively new to the anime world so have not seen many to compare it with...but, honestly, loved it and really couldn't fault it in the animation! Thank you for reading my review! Am hoping to watch Vol. II tonight! :wink:

That's good to hear! Dodgy CG wouldn't put me off a series, but it can be quite jarring!

Be sure to tell us about volume 2 and wether you think it gets better or worse! ^_^

CitizenGeek said:
That's good to hear! Dodgy CG wouldn't put me off a series, but it can be quite jarring!

Be sure to tell us about volume 2 and wether you think it gets better or worse! ^_^

Yeah I dont mind it too much as long as the series is good.
For instance Planetes.
Great series, space looks great.
But the texturing on the Earth from space really looks annoyingly terrible.
Oh well.

Should put here there may be spoilers but tried to give nothing major away...

Well I couldn’t wait long to watch volume II so that is now done and dusted! Just as good as volume I though I do have some minor gripes about it…I am never that keen on the animation for when the characters are ridding horses, just does not feel right but probably a personal view rather than a major mistake. Also, there are some weird pointless or rather why?? Views of certain characters in scenes. The scene that sticks in my mind here being of Durand in a carriage talking to someone, the camera pans down to their feet/boots but you see their crotch too…I was just thinking whilst watching this a) Why does Durand wear awful white boots? And b) why do we have this angle whilst they are talking? Surely there was something better to look at! The historical accuracy continues to impress me, and yet for this reason noticed the slip up in the Winter Palace when the characters go to Russia. Am pretty sure the ballroom should have had mirrors, an elaborate wooden floor and more gold – again, small complaint because the rest of the animation had seemed to be top notch!

On a storyline level, d’Eon seems to be improving his sword skills and never turns down a chance to put on his dead sister’s dress! Honestly, for me the plot did not seem to move much further than from Vol. I except they made it to Russia and you have met a few new possible ‘baddies’.

Cannot wait for volume III! September release I think…

Last edited by a moderator:
Back