Laputa - ITV 1988

it took me years to find out the proper name of this movie, i was building a crane with bolt n' build while watching it. i gotta say though some parts ain't how i remembered it, can anyone confirm if the itv version had a lot cut, they were renowned for it, i'd really like to know the running time of it without the adverts if someone was geeky enough to time it. i found the original dub eventually on ebay, it seems to be the same dvd as the link someone provided.

i loved what i remembered of this movie, its so cool to find others that do too, i was about eight or nine, always wished i recorded it. kudos to those that did. :)

For those who have British terrestrial television it is being aired this Friday (Feb 23rd) on Channel 4 at 9:35am.

Martin said:
Ork_dreadnought said:
dshogan said:
I saw the ITV version of the film 'Laputa', now known as the castle in the sky. it aired on new years eve 1988

Ah! So that's how I saw it as a kid!
It never ceases to amaze me how many of us saw it that way. I was under the impression that it was something obscure that very few people managed to see that time but it appears there were quite a few of us tuning in that day!

My ex-uni housemate saw this version and in uni about 2003 I spent a few weeks trying to figure out what anime he was on about from his dodgy description so I could get him a copy for his 21st birthday, got it and he was well chuffed

This is a really old thread but wondering if anyone knows how to get ahold of the 1980s dubbed version!?
Glad u brought it back... I loved the old dub and never been able to find it... I dont like James Van Der Beek as Patu... also the music changes really get to me too.. it’s just not the same.

I have a VHS recording of the dub from a early 90s Hong Kong TVB Pearl broadcast somewhere.

This is a really old thread but wondering if anyone knows how to get ahold of the 1980s dubbed version!?
It's on the Japanese DVD from 2002. It's out of print, but you can still find used copies on Amazon UK and CDJapan for example

Laputa: Castle in the Sky: Amazon.co.uk: Anna Paquin, James Van Dev Beek, Claris LEACHMAN, Hayao Miyazak, Hayao Miyazak: DVD & Blu-ray

Last edited:
There is a comparison video I have found here. Some of the new voices are better tbh but some still grate me

I think this is the only problem when u get multiple dubs... u get good and bad on both 😂

I have a VHS recording of the dub from a early 90s Hong Kong TVB Pearl broadcast somewhere.

It's on the Japanese DVD from 2002. It's out of print, but you can still find used copies on Amazon UK and CDJapan for example

Laputa: Castle in the Sky: Amazon.co.uk: Anna Paquin, James Van Dev Beek, Claris LEACHMAN, Hayao Miyazak, Hayao Miyazak: DVD & Blu-ray

I've got the Japanese DVD, and I didn't know it even had a dub lol.. I need to watch it now

For anyone interested, I chanced upon this forum, to help out, I have all versions including the 1988 streamline English audio (which I think is better than the Disney version) I also have the old English audio time synced to the HD version of the film or the Standard def version, just post me a reply and I might be able to help with your searches :)

Adding info as I've finally got my own copy of the original dub. It can be found on the DVD with the code VWDZ8014.

The cover shows the two young protagonists running away from Goliath in an orange insect flyer.

Back