Laputa - ITV 1988

dshogan

Completely Average High School Student
I saw the ITV version of the film 'Laputa', now known as the castle in the sky. it aired on new years eve 1988 and ever since my original taped recording had been accidentely taped over, I've been trying to find another copy. I've bought the DVD with english voices, but they are since newer and with voices which don't cut it for me (it pains me to watch characters I know and love with frankely comedy voices).

I've emailed and rung ITV which has come to a dead end. I fear my only hope of hearing the original voices (which I grew up with :oops:) is by asking around on the off chance that anyone had taped it, as I did.

If anyone knows anything?

thanks, dave.

I think it's being re-released tomorrow(27th) with option English or Japanese with subtitles. Somebody may be able to confirm if that's true or not.

I am cautious about these new editions due the voices. If it is being re-released then it is likely to use the same voices on the DVD I already have.

ie., I can't find the voice casting's on the internet for the ITV version I (did) have. As far as I know, the voices were used for public aircraft and only aired twice? on ITV & nowhere else. :?

I will check that re-release out though, I don't want to miss out just incase!! :p

search continues.

I just reviewed the new release of Laputa and can confirm that it only contains the new Hollywood voices. I didn't watch the dub myself but it stars Dawson of Dawson's Creek fame ;)

What you are looking for is the Streamline Pictures version of Laputa, which I assume has been out of print for a long time. Ebay is your best shot!

This is only a hunch, but I think the Japanese R2s may use the Streamline dub.

Edit: Yeah i'm right, except it wasn't actually Streamline who dubbed it, some other people did:
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/laputa/faq.html#dub
Edit2: http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/video/laputa/#j_dvd

Edit3:
Paul said:
I just reviewed the new release of Laputa and can confirm that it only contains the new Hollywood voices. I didn't watch the dub myself but it stars Dawson of Dawson's Creek fame ;)
Ack yes... didn't think much of the stale Disney dub. Anna Paquin was my personal hate. She sounded as hollow as an Easter-Egg. Biggest question though (and you don't address it in the review): are there dubtitles when you watch the Japanese track? The Buena Vista version ruins that too, because there was SO much extra dialogue added by disney.

Also OT, but is Paranoia Agent actually coming out tomorrow? The release date on play.com has slipped to April.

thanks for all your time, this has been lots of help.

I've found numorous places to buy a different version of the DVD I have (the one that boldly states 'James Van Der Beek' and 'Anna Paquin's').

I'm not sure if this different version is the one I'm looking for.. ie, 'Bertha Greene' playing Pazu.

do you know which version this is?

http://www.virginmegastores.co.uk/invt/671590
[/url]

thanks for that link to CDjapan!! :) ... this is the information it gives;

Running Time: 124mins.
Data Format: DVD Video
NTSC Format
Layers: single-sided/dual-layered
Aspect Ratio(s): 16:9 LB Vista
Regional Encoding: 2
Color
Encoding: MPEG-2
Subtitles: English Japanese
Audio Track :
Japanese: Dolby Digital 2ch Stereo
English: Dolby Digital Monaural

does that mean its got english voices on it?

dshogan said:
Running Time: 124mins.
Data Format: DVD Video
NTSC Format
Layers: single-sided/dual-layered
Aspect Ratio(s): 16:9 LB Vista
Regional Encoding: 2
Color
Encoding: MPEG-2
Subtitles: English Japanese
Audio Track :
Japanese: Dolby Digital 2ch Stereo
English: Dolby Digital Monaural

does that mean its got english voices on it?
Yes. The fact that it's in monoaural (one speaker) testifies to its age as well.

Yeah, but not in stereo. I'm assuming that reflects the age of the Stramline dub perhaps. EDIT: Kupo got in there while I was typing my reply. Touche! ;)

If the subs are true subs and not the dubtitles I'll buy the new version - the dubtitles on the Disney release have been a pet hate of mine for a while now. On a positive note, Optimum have retained the film's true original title - a minor thing but to fellow Ghibli obsessives who have complained about it in the past, it's good to see!

Concrete badger said:
If the subs are true subs and not the dubtitles I'll buy the new version - the dubtitles on the Disney release have been a pet hate of mine for a while now.
I'm very tempted to import that Japanese Region 2 instead. Not only would I probably get better subtitles, i'd get a second dub on top of that :)

Genius's!

My mum had recorded two tapes of Laputa off ITV new years eve 1988. The first tape had ran out shortly into the robot rescue scene. The swapping of tapes was not executed to any great deal of rush due to her un-physcic understanding of how important this film was gonna mean to me; I think the fact that it was never fully there increased its appeal to me.

about 5 years ago my grandad (bless his soul) taped over the 2nd tape with kids day time television... I was not amused.

I can't wait to watch it again, in all its glory. When it comes through my letterbox, I'll post an update on this thread! Thankyou very much! :D

I remember watching that ^_______^ I was only two and a half...

I'm glad the nicer English dub exists- Aside from there being more needless jokes, Disney even edited the music score during the bit with the doves flying around the valley to the bugle. The DVD case isn't exactly inspiring, too...

I'm still happy that I have the original UK release of Princess Mononoke, with a big picture of Ashitaka on a golden background on it ^_^

Ork_dreadnought said:
dshogan said:
I saw the ITV version of the film 'Laputa', now known as the castle in the sky. it aired on new years eve 1988

Ah! So that's how I saw it as a kid!
It never ceases to amaze me how many of us saw it that way. I was under the impression that it was something obscure that very few people managed to see that time but it appears there were quite a few of us tuning in that day!

this isn't the most active discussion but I said I'd get back to you guys once I bought the version which we concluded with. In the end I went with cdjapan and got exactly what I was looking for, late 1980's english dubs.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/(simple,mint)/detailview.html?KEY=VWDZ-8014]

Thanks ever so much, dave.
:)

I can't believe what I'm reading, this is exactly what I was watching years ago (before even knowing about anime, the people owning the cassette thought it was from Thailand) and I had no idea the original dub could be bought at all.

Hats off to you all!

I'll be picking this up at some point, the 2003 version is painful in the extreme, I can't even watch the Japanese subtitled version due to the ridiculous amount of empty dialogue running along the bottom of the screen. Do they think everyone watching this needs ritalin, or do the voice actors need it? Just shut up! *ahem*. Sorry, needed to get that out, kept it in till now since there was no alternative ;)

I watch the 1988 showing of laputa as well, I was only 6 and its always been in the back of my mine.

However when I saw it on DVD 2 years ago, I both it and all the memory came back to me. It was properly the first true anime I ever saw (that or samurai pizza cats).

Thank for bring up the trouble with the dub I taught I was going bad.

*BUMP*

Well, my Japanese import DVD arrived the other day, complete with the older 'streamline' dub. Here are my rambling thoughts on the two versions. Yeah, I know the old dub wasn't done by Streamline directly but it was typed in a rush!

Incidentally my CDJapan receipt was in yen/$ so I have no precise idea of how much my exercise in notstalgia cost me!

Back