L.A Noire

memorium

Za Warudo
I'm surprised no one has made a thread about this yet, either that or I just haven't looked properly.

What does everyone think about this game? I've personally seen a lot of hype surrounding the title and it has intrigued me, Game Revolution gave the game a pretty good score as well which is tempting me to buy it, but what about you guys?

Havent got it myself (yet) but i think most the hype is because its a new kind of gameplay where you solve mysteries and crud.
Also the new facial recognition software they used makes the characters look amazing.

Mate of mine says it is really good but im not sure about the gameplay myself.

I think it's a lot better than advertised, which equates to "OMG, Rockstar made a game." The faces are a bit uncanny valley, and it seems to lack confidence in parts but it's still a really fun and interesting game. I'm also enjoying how the story is progressing, with the case structure being quite cool, and learning about the people involved in the cases (reminds me of Phoenix Wright, actually) and putting forth the evidence to back up the claims, all while some, albeit random, character stuff is unravelling.

I like it.

I'm about 12 hours in and liking the game a lot, even if I agree with many of the complaints I'm hearing. The main one seems to be that because there's one "right" answer when questioning witnesses or interrogating suspects there's no scope for doing things your own way. It's all very linear and scripted and "gamey", more like Phoenix Wright than anything else. The only significant difference to the outcome of a case is your rating at the end of it.

But the stories are good, the atmosphere is palpable, and it's really unlike anything else out there.

fabricatedlunatic said:
The main one seems to be that because there's one "right" answer when questioning witnesses or interrogating suspects there's no scope for doing things your own way.
I'm perfectly fine with there being right and wrong answers, but the fact that the music chimes in and it putting a big "X" next to it frustrates me. There are indeed workarounds if you get the wrong answer (except at the beginning, where I failed endlessly) so I don't get why my marks need to be tallied up throughout.

On another plus note: The random callout missions are awful fun.

I don't think any case is unsolvable even if you completely balls up the questioning and get none right. If you don't get any information from a witness or suspect you'll find evidence that will give you the same lead elsewhere. I don't mind this (though I certainly could have done without the "x/y questions correct" thing and the musical cues, which do nothing but remind you that you're playing a game) but I was hoping for more consequences to my sleuthing than a rating at the end of a case.

And I'd like the side missions more if they didn't always send me half way across the map, miles away from where I need to be for the story. Grr.

If I sound like I'm down on the game it's because I had such high (and probably unrealistic) hopes for what it would be, but I'm absolutely enjoying it for what it is.

I have... multiple problems with this game.

1. Interrogation seems to have little logic behind it (plus I'm naturally suspicious of everyone anyway, which doesn't help). I just "Doubt" now and nine times out of ten it seems to be the correct answer...

2. ...Which leaves 80% of evidence collection more or less redundant, as you end up with multiple pieces of evidence which serve no purpose in your investigation if you can't accuse people over them.

3. You can't question people more than once, which I'm pretty sure would balls up most real life police investigations. Also, you can't threaten to kick the **** out of them when you know they're lying but can't prove it (perhaps if I was playing Regan from The Sweeney I could get into it).

4. Phelps is just a massive prick. If I'm playing a game called L.A. Noire it's pretty obvious that I wanted to be Humphrey Bogart, not some constantly wingeing git with a stick up his ****.

On the upside, the graphics are lovely and I like driving around 1940s LA in those big old cars... and the way Phelps squats over those naked corpses is so wrong it never fails to raise a smile.

ayase said:
2. ...Which leaves 80% of evidence collection more or less redundant, as you end up with multiple pieces of evidence which serve no purpose in your investigation if you can't accuse people over it.
I more or less agree with the rest, but I think dead-ends are definitely a good thing. You're complaining about realism (or lack thereof) and I think some of that would certainly go if everything you found helped out the case in a significant way. They also help me make up my mind in choosing if I want to accuse someone.

Point taken. But it seems as though even relevant evidence is either useless in interrogation or worse still, never even mentioned in the initial questioning process: something the player has no control over except for the order in which the questions are asked (which also seems to make no difference to the outcome). To me, this game feels half-finished in a lot of respects.

That's the thing: nothing you do or don't do has any any effect on the outcome of a case. That said, if you're willing to play along and want to get a high rating then the game at least gives a good impression of making the player feel as though their investigations have some purpose. Some Persons of Interest can be missed, but again, it has no bearing on the outcome of a case.

It's always worth accusing someone of lying if you suspect they're not being entirely truthful; their reaction can give a clue about what evidence to present, and if not you can always back out with no penalty. Alternatively just select a random answer and you'll end up with the same result.

Also, ayase, you're alive! Just yesterday I was wondering where in blazes you'd got to.

I came quite close to disappearing into America with my last $500 and becoming some kind of shadowy hit-man of legend talked of in hushed tones in the bars of the Deep South, but ultimately, all my stuff is here.

IT never fails to raise a smile when they say "what evidence have you got that I.....*something or other*?"

You've sat there and watched me pick up a piece of incriminating evidence no less than 10 metres away, you dumb f***!

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kUTOaFs40Vk?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kUTOaFs40Vk?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Back