Kung-Fu Hustle

One other sequence that I lauged quite a abit too when I saw it was the sequence when the lead villian catches a bullet between his fingers the moment it leaves the barrel of the gun!

Oh, and when the knifes are being thrown but they always end up impaling Stephen Chow. :-D

I'm not writing this because I have anything new to say about this wonderful film (one of my current favourites), but just an excuse to (a) get another digit added to my forum contribution talley and (b) to get people who haven't alreay to read this thread and watch it and be entertained to the point of queerness!

McIcy said:
Really? I thought it blended in well and didn't seem overwhelming at all.

I agree with McIcy here. It did use a generous amount of digital effects (and as far as my viewing expereinces are concerned to good effect), but I never once thought it was saturated with them.

Having said that, I respect WTFDaveMustaine's opinion on this. :)

Hovis! said:
McIcy said:
Really? I thought it blended in well and didn't seem overwhelming at all.

I agree with McIcy here. It did use a generous amount of digital effects (and as far as my viewing expereinces are concerned to good effect), but I never once thought it was saturated with them.

Having said that, I respect WTFDaveMustaine's opinion on this. :)

Stop trying to avoid starting arguements by agreeing with every again Hovis

McIcy said:
Stop trying to avoid starting arguements by agreeing with every again Hovis

:lol:

I don't agree with WTFDaveMustaine about there being too much CGI, but I thought it not worth debating. lol

:wink: :) :D :lol:

After all, its CHRISTMAS! lol

After watching it again today I'm thinking it's not the CGI what stops this film being anymore than just a decent watch, it's that a lot of the jokes and sight gags just aren't that funny. I enjoyed spotting the references to other martial arts movies though. Plus it's always nice to see Yuen Wah. :)

I seriously do not understand all the extreme praise this movie gets though.

Shades said:
I always prefed Shaolin Socer to be honest, the CGI is better the gags are funnier, its just a better watch all round really 8)

Its true but for me the story to shoalin soccer just didn't strike the right chord, every time I watch it I laugh but a piece of me feels like its missing something. It might just be that I don't get football (ok so I can't stand it and the way it wastes perfectly good tv time).

Reason I liked Kung-Fu Hustle isn't really because of it being funny or anything, I just found it supremely entertaining. It was nothing but just "pure" entertainment, and I find it a nice change to some of the other material I experience (in some aspects We Love Katamari - the video game on the PS2 - is liked by me for the same reason as I like Kung-Fu Hustle). :)

I also like Shoalin Soccer for more or less the same reason/s, but I don't - personally - think its a patch on Kung-Fu Hustle. :)

Hovis! said:
It was nothing but just "pure" entertainment, and I find it a nice change to some of the other material I experience

I also like Shoalin Soccer for more or less the same reason/s, but I don't - personally - think its a patch on Kung-Fu Hustle. :)

Once again I find myself 100% agreeing with Hovis, the man knows his stuff in my opinion

I've said this in other places, but - can't say I liked Kung Fu Hustle, though I did enjoy Shaolin Soccer, and agree there were enjoyable elements to Kung Fu Hustle, particularly earlier on. My enjoyment might have been enhanced had I been fully aware of the numerous references Chow makes to earlier Asian films (the most obvious being the inclusion of many actors from those older films in Kung Fu Hustle). I'm told by admirers of the film that it is basically one long parody.

Keeping that in mind, while I felt that Kung Fu Hustle exhibited plenty of cinematographic style, for the majority of the film its violence was mere brutality rather than especially comic, built on a flimsy plot. Such brutality isn't necessarily detrimental to a film (The Godfather parts I and II being obvious examples, or in a similar vein, Goodfellas), but if it makes up most of the films content - as it does here - I find it quickly becomes dull. This becomes increasingly noticeable as the film goes on, with its action growing in both bloodlust (especially in the fight scene involving Siu-Lung Leung [The Beast], Qiu Yuen [Landlady] and Wah Yuen [Landlord]) and cartoon idiocy. I tend to agree with much of the review here:

MAGTHKF said:
Every Stephen Chow production, for whatever reason, creates worldwide flatulent noise. This one is no exception. First and foremost, this is not, repeat, not, a kung fu film. It is a high-production-budget crude Hong Kong gutter comedy that uses martial arts as a prop. Think of the silliest, most manic and childish cartoon---"Roger Rabbit"---run it through the sick, scatological mind of Stephen Chow, and this is what you get. Nose picking, **** you-**** that, thugs everywhere, ultra cartoon violence. And it is all special effects. It is unfunny and silly beyond words...

Strangely, the site doesn't review Shaolin Soccer - considering its dismissal of Chow, I'd be interested to know whether they rate it any higher than Kung Fu Hustle.

Of course, there are plenty of glowing reviews for Kung Fu Hustle, such as on Rotten Tomatoes, so clearly it appeals to lots of people.

You can definately see some of the parodies when your watching it, woul;d love to know how many films they've actually managed to 'borrow' scenes from

Hi,
Kung fu hustle is a great movie.The fights are mind blowing with some mind tinkling stunts.The running is great.The fights are also great.I don't know how many times I have seen the movie.It is such a nice movie.

Hmm, I've got that film. A little odd in places, but quite amusing to watch. I'll have to dig it out and watch it again now!

Back