Kizumonogatari Film Trilogy Opening In Japan Next Year

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Following an announcement four years ago and a series of&nbsp;successful television anime adaptations, the Japanese animation studio SHAFT&nbsp;will be bringing Nisio Isin's avant garde&nbsp;<strong>Monogatari</strong>&nbsp;light novel series to the big screen next year, according to an announcement made following the premiere of&nbsp;<strong>Owarimonogatari</strong>, the franchise's seventh television anime series.

Opening on 8th January 2016,&nbsp;<strong>Kizumonogatari I: Blood And iron</strong>&nbsp;will be the first in a trilogy of prequel movies&nbsp;telling the story of Koyomi Araragi's encounter with the vampire that turned him. The movie will later be followed by&nbsp;<strong>Kizumonogatari II: Passionate Blood</strong>&nbsp;and&nbsp;<strong>Kizumonogatari III: Cold Blood</strong>.

Series Director Akiyuki Shinbo (<strong>Puella Magi Madoka Magica</strong>) will be returning to the project as Chief Director, with Tatsuya Oishi (<strong>Bakemonogatari</strong>)&nbsp;serving as Director. Hiroshi Kamiya has been confirmed to be reprising his role as Koyomi Araragi, alongside Maaya Sakamoto as Kiss-Shot Acerola-Orion Heart-Under-Blade, among others.&nbsp;

MVM Films&nbsp;have been releasing the <strong>Monogatari</strong>&nbsp;franchise on DVD&nbsp;and Blu-ray in the United Kingdom since 2013,&nbsp;with their most recent being&nbsp;<strong>Koimonogatari</strong>&nbsp;in April of this year. Vertical will be releasing the <strong>Kizumonogatari</strong>&nbsp;light novel in English next month.

Source

Wait, this is actually happening!? I didn't think I would ever see the day.
It's interesting that a single book is being split into three films, I just hope these are all full-length movies and not glorified OVA's.
I also wonder where this leaves the Owarimonogatari adaptation, which will only cover four of the seven story arcs in the book. I assumed it would be split cour and the remaining three arcs would be in the spring season, but if Kizu is starting early next year then I'm not so sure anymore. As if all this could get any more complicated :p

black1blade said:
I don't think it would work if they where full sized movies. It's a 300 page LN. That said, rokka got a full cour...
If I remember correctly, the average run-time of each The Garden Of Sinners instalment is roughly 50 minutes, so it wouldn't surprise me if each of the Kizumonogatari movies ends up being around that long.

Back