Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances)

Martin

Death Scythe
Romantic. Dramatic. Funny. Thought-provoking. Innovative. Let down by a messy ending. Those are my thoughts (which I'll expand on in a proper review sometime soon).

Has anyone done themselves a huge favour and watched this yet?

I think Gainax were dealt a bad hand in terms of the rift with the manga-ka (a second series would have been great: eps 1-26 seem to cover manga volumes #1-#8, which is currently at #19-#21). On the other hand they introduced two subplots just as the TV series was supposed to finish, which left too many loose ends. How did Arima deal with his insecurity? How did the play go? What happened between Sakura and Tomani?

Apart from that the series is in my all-time top 5. I'm not sure whether this was Anno's best work as director (especially with Gunbuster and NGE as rivals) but it'scertainly the most accessible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the series box set and its ace, at the time I watched it it was like no other rom com id ever seen, the characters are this series strong point. As mentioned above do your self a favour and watch it, do it
Kev

I watched volume 1 of this over the weekend and I have to admit that whilst the story itself was good stuff I was very distracted by the quality (or lack thereof) of the animation. A lot of the time it felt like a succession of onscreen manga panels, and given all the bad things said about the anime ending I can't help wondering if my money would be better spent just ordering the manga instead.

To be honest, whilst this show was very endearing and quite funny, it failed to draw me in and I don't believe I got futher than the fifth episode. Perhaps something I'll try again later, but not a superlative series by any means.

Back