Kabuto (1992 OVA)

yethboth

Brigade Leader
Bought this the other day from one of the charity shops at my local town on Manga Video UK VHS for only 99p. This is one VHS title from Manga Video UK that I never got round to seeing when this 1992 45 minute Anime OVA got released in the UK back in 1996. I must admit that I really enjoyed this title and I especially liked the soundtrack. I'm not sure if Manga UK ever re-released this title on DVD?

The dubbing and voice acting in this title by Manga Entertainment UK is just as good as always. It's a shame that Manga Entertainment UK no longer dub their titles anymore because I've always thought they were the best at hiring Voice Actors to dub their titles back in the day.

Has anyone else seen this title and if so, did you enjoy it as well? Also, is anyone else a fan of Manga Entertainment UK's dubbing back in the day?

Ah, Kabuto - I keep meaning to try and get ahold of that one, but I've never gotten round to it. Any reviews I've seen tend to be quite conflicting, but since it's Buichi Terasawa directing an adaptation of his own work, I'm undeterred.

There was also a tv series based on Kabuto and, although it's never had an official English release, there are fansubs out there for it. I'm not sure if it's any good though - from what I've seen, the animation budget looked pretty low. Quite a jaunty OP though:

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J4dKerdITV0?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J4dKerdITV0?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

As for the dubs, hmm... Manga UK get a lot of flack for their dubbing at that time, sometimes rightly so (fifteening, urgh), but I do still have a soft spot for their efforts. I miss Toni Barry and Sean Barret.

Despite buying a whole lot of crap during those barren late 1990s, before I started importing in earnest, I was obviously not quite desperate enough to pick up Kabuto. In fairness, though, I don't think it could've been any worse than Vampire Wars or Sword For Truth...

EDIT: regarding the dub, ANN says it was done in the US by Animaze - did Manga UK do their own dub? They did produce some good voice work, most notably for the Patlabor movies.

As for the dubs, hmm... Manga UK get a lot of flack for their dubbing at that time, sometimes rightly so (fifteening, urgh), but I do still have a soft spot for their efforts. I miss Toni Barry and Sean Barret.
Interestingly, the UK voice actor Daniel Flynn, who played Benton in Cyber City Oedo 808, Narsus in The Heroic Legend Of Arislan (Part 1-3) and Asura in Angel Cop is also the same actor who played Superindendant John Heaton (the ginger haired guy) in the now canned ITV1 live action TV series The Bill.

Back