Just as planned, Manga Ent. confirm Death Note anime for UK

yamiiguy said:
Set 1 - Episodes 1-8
Set 2 - Episodes 9-16
Set 3 - Episodes 17-24
Set 4 - Episodes 25-32
Set 5 - Episodes 33-37 With Two Hour Special

Wow, that sounds fantastic! Owning all of the Death Note anime after only 5 purchases sounds great! ^_^

yamiiguy said:
I'm really looking forward to this release, Manga have given up on dubtitles so this should be a pretty good release, plus with amazon saying 8 episodes across 2 discs we shouldn't have to wait more than 3 or 4 months between releases.

Amazon are probably right with the 8 episodes a set, if you look at it:

Set 1 - Episodes 1-8
Set 2 - Episodes 9-16
Set 3 - Episodes 17-24
Set 4 - Episodes 25-32
Set 5 - Episodes 33-37 With Two Hour Special

JESUS CHRIST IN THE NAME OF MARY AND JOSEPHINE o_O

That is worth my money =D And since Death Note is my second most favourite anime, I will definitley pick it up...

after I completed my Chrono Crusade and Last Exile collection, which I had for over a year =P

Guys, cheap quality for a cheap price does not make for a good deal. I really don't know what you people are getting excited about with the record Mangle have... I would've taken ADV or MVM (probably MVM due to their ace box sets) over these jokers any day of the week.

I mean, you could order Volume 1 of Naruto right now for £7.99, the first volume including 3 DVD's. Bargain? No, not for a sub watcher with terms changing nearly every episode, ramen > pot noodle, other localization stupidity and a plot revelation not even in the story at that point.

I wasn't surprised to recently receive my Mangled Tokyo Underground set and see a problem. In the world of Mangle, the way to correct a misprint issue (series 1-26 instead of episode 1-26) is to put a blue sticker over the misprint.

Anyway, on a positive note: It's cool to see we'll be getting the 2-hour special as an added extra. It's rare we get anything outside of the series itself when buying anime DVD's, so any extras are great. It's just a shame the 2-hour special is pretty awful...

yamiiguy said:
With Two Hour Special
The Two-Hour Death Note special isn't licensed and I doubt it ever will be.. Because.. Its just a recap with a thirty second bit at the beginning and end to say the reason for this recap is Ryuk is telling the story off it. Its not from his point of view or any off that marlarky.

If it is Eight episodes per release - That will be fantastic, Hopefully they'll release it smarter than the Naruto releases which only two come out per year. That really stupid ;/ Even though I already own the first eight episodes (Via 2 R1 Volumes). I wonder if they'll release a big box set off it, Say, Something along the lines of GitS. A GitS artbox would be nice. ;p

Here's some (spoilerific) information about the cack director's cut:

I feel like those 2 hours were wasted. I don't know about director's cut, Death Note: Lite would've been a more appropriate title.

First of all, here's what they removed to get the first 25 episodes to fit into 2 hours:

-- The bus incident, the first real showing of Light's intelligence, was removed completely. Great.

-- Linking to the above removal, Naomi's explanation of how she knew about Kira was simplified to the extreme.

- L's reveal and the early L/Light rivalry was removed completely. They did later try to merge the L and Light meeting scene and a scene from later on, but it was done rather badly, including a a new scene where L seemed to direct Light around some hi-tech maze in a cinema...

-- Misa finding out about Light. It was simplified so much that she just randomly saw him while she was sitting in a cafe.

-- They didn't cut out L thinking about Aoyama in the helicopter, even though the whole Aoyama thing had been cut. Sloppy.

-- Higuchi simply dying without explanation. It didn't show Light using his watch at all...I'd have been seriously confused if I hadn't already watched the series.

Put simply, this "director's cut" was a simplified and badly cut version of the first 25 episodes. That's not good when Death Note is all about story and thrilling twists that go with it.

The most annoying thing was the last 5 minutes; my reason for watching this hack job. All you get is Light's insane laughter from episode 37 changed to be at L's grave... I expected the ending to be the same as the 2nd movie. It wasn't worth the effort.

...oh, and the choice of music used was pretty bad - I couldn't believe the 2nd ED theme was used during the Higuchi chase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually - Its not that bad, Its just NOT mean't to be taken by itself, Its for people who have seen the series and for people with something to watch. I was a bit disappointed they didn't even bother at all with a proper conclusion. I never really missed the Bus Hijack scene, I never found it to be that entertaining. They had development between Naomi and Lighto that lead no where though. Bit pointless, But again. Its made for those whom knows the story.

I actually liked the Zetsubou Billy chase scene, A decent song and it is quite nice looking thanks to Madhouse always being quite on the ball with animation. Especially like the lights on the cars, Very reminescent of Akira. ;p

Its a Pure action version of Death Note. Nothing more.

Jayme said:
yamiiguy said:
With Two Hour Special
The Two-Hour Death Note special isn't licensed and I doubt it ever will be.. Because.. Its just a recap with a thirty second bit at the beginning and end to say the reason for this recap is Ryuk is telling the story off it. Its not from his point of view or any off that marlarky.

Perhaps, that's just my theory because of amazon saying Vol. 1 was 8 episodes, unless the last set had 7 then they must have the two hour special.

This will be a nice addition to my Naruto and Bleach SJ sets from Manga.

Here's hoping that Manga push the boat and bring One Piece over here. Though the fact it is now a funimation property may hinder their chances =[

kurosaki86 said:

Here's hoping that Manga push the boat and bring One Piece over here. Though the fact it is now a funimation property may hinder their chances =[

Nah, I think Manga are most likely to pick up One Piece because it's such a big series - I can't see Revelation or Beez or MVM touching something as huge as One Piece.

CitizenGeek said:
kurosaki86 said:

Nah, I think Manga are most likely to pick up One Piece because it's such a big series - I can't see Revelation or Beez or MVM touching something as huge as One Piece.
But, I don't see why Manga would get it. Surely Revelation would get it (With ease) due to the fact that they are FUNimation's UK distributor. It would give Revelation some thing big behind them and One Piece'll get a good release anyway. Granted its quite a big venture, They have Fullmetal Alchemist and that's quite a big anime to fall back on and surely it wouldn't be much to release One Piece as well - They release the same as what FUNi does/wants anyhow and I don't see them giving their properties to Manga Ent in any shape or form.

Manga seem to be VIZ' distributor, Not FUNi's, And I can't see that changing anytime soon to be honest.

Jayme said:
But, I don't see why Manga would get it. Surely Revelation would get it (With ease) due to the fact that they are FUNimation's UK distributor. It would give Revelation some thing big behind them and One Piece'll get a good release anyway. Granted its quite a big venture, They have Fullmetal Alchemist and that's quite a big anime to fall back on and surely it wouldn't be much to release One Piece as well - They release the same as what FUNi does/wants anyhow and I don't see them giving their properties to Manga Ent in any shape or form.

In all honesty, I can't see how anything other than a collection (ala Manga Uk's treatment of Bleach and Naruto) will work for this show. I mean at present there have been 124 episodes broadcast in america.

With a normal releas eschedule of 4 episodes every two months.....the mind boggles. Funimation are however releasing this in sets(when they get round to it) with season 1 part 1 already being solicited(I cannot say whether this is actually the full season 1 part 1 of 19 episodes or if they will cut it up into smaller chunks), so if/when this title does get a release over these shores, then it really is ready made for Revelation to release in the box set format.

However, I for one am very happy with the standard of Manga Uk's releases. I am not a subtitle wh*re like so many people out there are(read the amazon reviews-OMG people, calm down) and I am more than happy to watch the English Dub. Their products in a whole look and feel like quality products, not the bargains we are paying for, and such, I would love to see them continue with as many shows as possible in this vein.

Of course its going to be in box sets, It can be done in sets of four episodes as per VIZ' Bleach release (Although, This is backed up with the season sets). In the US, They are coming up to US TV episode 124 as you said, But with FUNi (probably) releasing it from episode one, Its episode 163. I believe Revelation'll release it in the UK as FUNimation requests and the release will be the same as the US'.

Jayme said:
Manga seem to be VIZ' distributor, Not FUNi's, And I can't see that changing anytime soon to be honest.

But, MVM are releasing Trinity Blood, and that's a FUNi release. Revelation are not FUNi's exclusive distributors, it would seem.

I never knew the Gonzo thing. But yeah, MVM used to be the sole distributors for FUNimation in the UK until they changed to Revelation. Hence the reason for all their re-releases of their previous titles, Such as Fruits Basket and Fullmetal Alchemist.

My point still stands. ;p

Leopard-Lad said:
MVM used to be Funimation's distributers but they still have the distribution rights to all Funimation shows done by Gonzo which includes Trinity Blood.
It is more so that Gonzo negotiate all of their titles on a region-by-region basis and the series that FUNimation licenced were only licenced for R1. Most but not all of FUNimation's licences include the UK as part of the deal but there are one or two exceptions, most of which are Gonzo titles.

Back