Journeys to the holy land...

Been quite a few times and enjoyed each. Next trip is in August! We're planning to go to Comiket and a concert, among other things...

We usually just book accomodation and flights and bumble around happily on our own instead of having anything professionally arranged. Favourite places correlate heavily with the type of places which sell a lot of doujinshi and rare CDs, so we prefer the city regions to the quieter areas.

I know a few other posters here have been too so they might pop up and recount their experiences soon.

R

I visited Tokyo for a week (well, about five days) last summer! We went to Mount Fuji (overnight excursion), Shinjuku, Akihabara and Ginza.

It was amazing, as would be expected really. I agree with Rui; unfortunately we -did- have a tour guide which really limited what we were able to do. However, my friend and I managed to break away (the day the group went to Disney Land) to spend an afternoon in Akiba. I don't know whether it was the rush of fanboy-ism to my head or something else, but that place truly is the "holy land" for anime fans.

Can't wait to get back. I'd really like to see the other major cities as well, like Osaka and Kyoto.

I was lucky enough to have a proper geek showing me around so I spend 1 week in Tokyo shopping shopping shopping! They have this huge chain of otaku stores called "Mandrake". It's like the japanese "Forbidden Planet". Awsome. Will post pics soon...

You guys are all making me terribly excited for my visit to Japan. Sadly, it's 2 years away (I get to spend the 3rd year of my college course over there, studying the language and international business). I really can't wait, though! :]

I've been to tokyo and okinawa. It's awesome, I've visited most of the tourist atractions in Okinawa, in Tokyo I was too youg to enjoy though =(
I want to go back there soon. Okinawa is really something else...

Second double post of the night! I'm on a roll!

Every single one of those stores sold anime and/or games. And that's not even a fraction of Akiba. It was an awesome evening - har har.

Did Akiharbara on the last day. It was raining and everybody had clear plastic umbrellas. Totally Ghost in the Shell / Blade Runner style. :D

If I was to go to Japan, I wouldn't stay in a city for very long because it looks to busy for me and I hate crowds, so I would just buy my souvenirs and leave. I'd rather go into the countryside or into smaller towns. That's assuming I could actually afford to go.

Ugh, I'd LOVE to go, but my parents are standing in the way because of the murders and rapings... >____<

But, I'm planning to do Japanese at university, and I'm going to go there on holiday with my brother some day. ^^

Vinnie said:
Ugh, I'd LOVE to go, but my parents are standing in the way because of the murders and rapings... >____<

But, I'm planning to do Japanese at university, and I'm going to go there on holiday with my brother some day. ^^

Sooooo, by that logic, you aren't allowed to visit any country? :p

And by the way, I just overheard the reprobates on Big Brother wailing off 'Japanese' sentences, and I felt like taking the cleaver to my throat.

Vinnie said:

murders and rapings? Are you going to Afghan?
I believe murder rate is way bigger here... No idea about anything else though....

chaos said:
Vinnie said:

murders and rapings? Are you going to Afghan?
I believe murder rate is way bigger here... No idea about anything else though....

I meant the ones that have been in the media. The stabbing in Akihabara last month, that English teacher who got raped, beaten, and left in a tub of sand... And I try desperately to convince them that Japan is quite different, and it's the safest place in the world, but.... =/ You just can't convince people who think that they're right all the time, you know?

If those things happened here they'd be barely newsworthy because so many other terrible things happen - and many countries are worse than here too. Japan's one of the safest places I've been to. The worst I've ever had happen is strange guys trying to hit on me (but they left me alone when I told them to, unlike here!) and I've strayed well off the beaten track on my own plenty of times there.

Sounds like you're young though, so you'll be able to go with your brother or alone soon :)

R

I’ve been twice and I love it. But despite watching a lot of anime I’m far from an otaku, so other than some time wandering around Akihabara and visiting the Ghibli museum I didn’t really do much that was particularly anime/manga related.

I managed to travel around a bit, spending time in Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima and on Shikoku.

The thing is, I like a drink, so a lot of my favourite memories involve sitting in bars chatting with the locals. But perhaps the overall highlight from my trips was watching the Hanshin Tigers baseball team play at Koshien. That really was incredible!

As regards safety in Tokyo and Japan as a whole, it’s safe as houses. Apart from it being a safe country anyway, I reckon it’s safer still if you’re a foreign tourist. I’ve wandered around Kabukicho (which is a bit like Tokyo’s Soho) in the small hours of the morning and on my own, and it never crossed my mind that I might get any sort of bother. If anything I felt that sometimes the Japanese were slightly wearier of us.

But as Rui has just said, crimes that would go unreported in the UK or US make news there because they’re unusual. I often visit the website Japan Today to check up on the news over there and am often amused by what makes the crime section. Just before my first trip it was reported that a man had thrown hot coffee out of his car window at a pedestrian! Imagine that on Crime Watch?!

One other thing is (a bit embarrassing though) is that I left my passport and rail pass on a train. But I had them returned, beautifully packaged, inside an hour. Not so sure I’d get away with that in too many countries.

Anyway, not sure when, but I will definitely go again. I fancy visiting Kyushu next time.

Something similar happened with my Dad - he left a bag in a shop with his expensive camera equipment and walked off by accident. When he realised later he was shocked and upset but popping back to the shop on an offchance, he found someone had handed it to the staff and nothing had been taken. The staff even apologised for being negligent about not spotting it sooner and chasing him down the street to return it when he left.

I really want to go to Fukuoka but being a raging otaku I always plan my trips with certain places in mind and run out of time to fit it in properly. Highlights have been seeing Takarazuka perform, going to a BL doujinshi market and catching the Eva Rebuild roadshow on its opening day. This time in August we'll be seeing a live show with some famous old school anime theme singers which I'm incredibly excited about. But still no Fukuoka...

R

Rui said:
Something similar happened with my Dad - he left a bag in a shop with his expensive camera equipment and walked off by accident. When he realised later he was shocked and upset but popping back to the shop on an offchance, he found someone had handed it to the staff and nothing had been taken. The staff even apologised for being negligent about not spotting it sooner and chasing him down the street to return it when he left.

I love stories like this, and harkins' one too.

Although perhaps there's a certain amount of "grass is always greener" syndrome associated with faraway places, Japan certainly does have a somewhat romantic appeal to us Englanders. The customs and "properness" of the culture seem to echo what British people like to think of themselves, despite the reality being very different. Whereas the United Kingdom has an international reputation for safety and stability, topped off with a good touch of "stiff upper lip", I find Japan more aptly reflects those qualities. (The less said about the recent downturn of our rainy little island, the better.)

Hmm, but maybe I'm being too poetic. I'm sure that if we asked a Japanese person about their experiences there, they'd probably spiel on about the numerous inconveniences which tourists never seem to pick up on. But, if anything, it's stories of retrieved cameras and lost wallets which seem to inspire some confidence in the "Japan dream".

What does anyone else think?

Back