Jonathan Ross TV interview with Mamoru Oshii

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Known anime fan and famous TV presenter Jonathan Ross is hosting a new 3-part BBC4 series called "Asian Invasion", a program in which he visits and discusses Asian cinema. It all kicks off on Tuesday 10th January and in the very first show, Jonathan Ross is said to be talking to famous anime director Mamoru Oshii as well as generally discussing the state of Japanese film.

This is all a part of BBC4's "Asian Invasion" season and along side Jonathan Ross' new program, BBC4 will be showing several (but as yet unconfirmed) Asian films; of course, this could include an anime movie.

UPDATE: The BBC has put their official Asian Invasion web site online and the first part (airing Tuesday 10 January 10pm) of Jonathan Ross' visit to Asia sees him featuring the following Japanese anime directors; Mamoru Oshii, Hayao Miyazaki and Katsuhiro Otomo. The accompanying BBC4 Asian film season will contain no anime movies, though they will broadcast 8 live action subtitled Asian movies.

Anyone remember Jonathan Ross' "Japanorama" digital TV series a few years back? He interviewed Oshii and Miyazaki for that program too, as well as talking about Ghost in the Shell and a few other anime "cyber punk" classics. I hope this is a completely new series rather than something of a hack up of "Japanorama" but these concerns aside, Jonathan Ross continues to serve us anime fans well! :)

Fingers crossed BBC4 pick up some decent Asian movies too; some kind of Akira/Ghost in the Shell showing would be more than welcome :) A Satoshi Kon film would be even better.

At last, an anime-related thing that's on digital freeview! :D I'll definitely be tuning into this, not having seen Japanorama either. This ought to be good.

The possibility of anime, Asian film and Jonathan Ross mashed together to create a show is too great an opportunity for me to pass. While not on the level of my anime habit, Ross is perhaps the only person I will turn my tv or radio on to watch regularly.

w00t, this is going to be excellent!

Does anyone know the times of the shows, the days and the channel they are on?

If anime is shown on this, i think a lot more people will be introduced properly to it, especially from someone of Jonathan Ross' stature. If people are going to listen to anyone it would be him :) and of course, once the general public see someone like him talking about anime is a positive way, and showing another side of it, this could be the turning point of people ignorant thoughts, but also could mean people following the crowd, and as mentioned recently in another post, gaining anime 'fans' who aren't really fans, they just follow what other people do.

Ok, that was un-expected, i shocked myself, what a daft thought to have oO.

Anyway, i hope it turns out very well :)

I'm there!

I'm a big time fan of Patlabor 1 & 2, and Jin-Roh. I hope the conversation isn't just limited to GitS (since I'm not that keen on the movies. SAC is a different matter altogether, but the movies, I've never liked as much as everyone else seems to).

Paul said:
Anyone remember Jonathan Ross' "Japanorama" digital TV series a few years back?

Indeed I do, he also participated in BBC2's anime season many, many moons ago. I remember being particularly impressed because they screened Akira completely intact with subs, which was something of a revelation for someone who had only seen the dubbed versions on sci-fi up until that point.

I heard somewhere that Jonathan Ross is a big fan of asian cinema. Whether that includes anime or not is a bit of a guess but when Spirited Away came out he couldn't stop talking about it on Film 200something. This ought to be good.

Hooray for Jonathan Ross, the man is a legend, every few years he comes back to shove some more stuff about Japan down peoples throats, he rules!

What I like about Jonathan Ross is that he appreciates a good film but has mainstream appeal - the general public like him and listen to what he has to say. For the Wachowskis or Jim Cameron to announce their fandom is one thing, but to have a voice in the UK media is very cool indeed. After Innocence and Howl's hitting the cinemas in the past few months he will no doubt have plenty of interesting stuff to talk about!

Taken from news post said:
UPDATE: The BBC has put their official Asian Invasion web site online and the first part (airing Tuesday 10 January 10pm) of Jonathan Ross' visit to Asia sees him featuring the following Japanese anime directors; Mamoru Oshii, Hayao Miyazaki and Katsuhiro Otomo. The accompanying BBC4 Asian film season will contain no anime movies, though they will broadcast 8 live action subtitled Asian movies.

Interesting, eh!? This is going to be a great program; not only is Jonathan speaking to world famous anime directors, he is also speaking with several of my favourite Asian live-action directors! I can't wait to see what he talks about with Park Chan-wook (Old boy, Sympathy for Mr Vengence).

The showing of Ping Pong is much appreichiated too :)

To be honest im more looking forward to the fact he's talking to Park Chan-Wook and Ryuhei Kitamura than Miyazaki etc but its all welcome.

Looking on the site it mentions Casshern, Im so glad someone else other than me likes it :lol:

I looked on the site too. I think it's under features, it mentions a LOT of anime films (from the 3 directors he will be interviewing), can't wait to see this!

I noticed the adverts for this on TV and it got me interested straight away. Now that i know that Famous anime directors are getting interviewed also that means i will definately watch it. Hopefully as been mentioned above, thet will show decent asian action films. it would've been better if it had shown some anime as well.

Last night was wicked with asian invasion . I really liked how each Japanese director was laid back and the responses were not like a normal interview. I loved each film clips that Ross showed especially Ping pong ,versus and audition. I can't wait for next Tuesday's showing on Hong Kong films . John woo films o yeah !!!

That Miyazaki interview was a direct insert from his older "Japanorama" programme with an updated add on about "Howl's Moving Castle" I remember this because of the pissed off reaction by Miyazaki of Ross's question "Why are mostly all your leading characters young girls?"

Back