Johnny Depp pirate cameo in Doraemon anime

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Swash-buckling Hollywood star Johnny Depp, still fresh from his all-conquering role as Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean, will be taking to the waves once again but this time, in animated form; or to be precise, anime. Depp has agreed to cameo in a forthcoming special episde of kid's TV series Doraemon (one of the longest running anime of all time - it started airing on Japanese TV in 1979 and is still running today) - the episode in question will be titled "Pirates Special!! The Great Decisive Battle of the Pirates: A South Seas Love Story" and will be broadcast on June 29.

Depp is said to have agreed to the cameo "because it's Doraemon".

Of course, many TV watchers in the UK <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fast_Show#Trivia">will remember</a> his comedic guest appearance in The Last Fast Show Ever, which aired on British TV during the Christmas season of 2000.

Of course, many TV watchers in the UK will remember his comedic guest appearance in The Last Fast Show Ever, which aired on British TV during the Christmas season of 2000.

Him doing that (and of course all the countless awesome Tim Burton movies he was in) cemented him as one of my favourite actors.

Its too bad no one has licensed or fansubs Doraemon, but I suppose its a pretty damn big series, which is no doubt enormously expensive to license.

Doberman Pharaoh said:
And why is this worthy of a news mention? I mean ok it's Johnny Depp, but is this really of any significance?

Because its related to anime and is quite interesting, just because you don't care doesn't mean other people don't.

Ramen89 said:
Doberman Pharaoh said:
And why is this worthy of a news mention? I mean ok it's Johnny Depp, but is this really of any significance?

Because its related to anime and is quite interesting, just because you don't care doesn't mean other people don't.

What Ramen89 said. It's just intended to be an interesting little piece of news. I think a lot of people will be pleased/horrified to see such a big name lending his voice to anime.

Who English dubs Doraemon? The company must have a fair big budget.

Got to say though if this was for the Japanese dub it would be a spectacle, Johnny Depp speaking fluent Japanese. xD.

It will be Johnny Depp speaking English in the Japanese dub, if that makes sense. Doraemon has over 500 TV episodes, so bringing it to English speaking countries will be a bit of a long shot.

Paul said:
It will be Johnny Depp speaking English in the Japanese dub, if that makes sense. Doraemon has over 500 TV episodes, so bringing it to English speaking countries will be a bit of a long shot.

I now like Doraemon; not too big Depp fan though.

Subtitles for Japan, English for us. See how they like it.

I've seen English speaking guests in Japanese shows before and they just speak English with no subtitles.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
I've seen English speaking guests in Japanese shows before and they just speak English with no subtitles.

Oh really? Thats really cool. Thanks for the info.

the most i have heard is when its english dubbed with japa. . . . . .

. . . . . Oh wait i recall something actually, i just can't put my finger on what exact anime it was. xD

[nerd]I hate to be a pedant, but Doraemon isn't technically the longest-running Japanese anime ever. Sazae-san's been running since 1969 and is still going, getting to over 1700 episodes. Doraemon's stopped and started a bit, and only got to 1049 in 2005 when the original series finished. So yeah... that was pointless.

I only know this because I was bored, and following a conversation with jeremy1985 (because I know him in real life, you know), which was along the lines of "Hmm, 300 is a lot of episodes for an anime- there can't be many more that long...", I went to find out and trawled through a whole load of unrealistic facts and things to find out for my own satisfaction. And now I know, and feel like an idiot.[/nerd]

I like the idea of Johnny Depp in Doraemon. Although it seems bizarre to have him speaking English in the original Japanese dub. If it ever did get licensed, let's hope whoever does it doesn't re-dub him over.

You don't get many high-ranking actors in animated series (that is, not including The Simpsons, Family Guy, etc), do you? The only one that comes to mind is Gillian Anderson doing an episode of Reboot. Keith David has an amazing voice; I'd love to hear him do more.

Back