Japanese volcano Shinmoedake erupts

Will-O'-The-Wisp

Cardcaptor
A volcano in southwestern Japan erupted Sunday after nearly two weeks of relative silence, sending ash and rocks up to four kilometres (two and a half miles) into the air, a local official says.

It was not immediately clear if the eruption was a direct result of the massive 8.9-magnitude earthquake that rocked northern areas Friday, unleashing a fierce tsunami and sparking fears that more than 10,000 may have been killed.

The 1,421-metre (4,689-feet) Shinmoedake volcano in the Kirishima range saw its first major eruption for 52 years in January. There had not been any major activity at the site since March 1.

Authorities have maintained a volcano warning at a level of three out of five, restricting access to the entire mountain.

Source: http://www.timeslive.co.za/world/articl ... ano-erupts

Footage of the volcano:

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gpl3VK3dl7I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gpl3VK3dl7I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Holy ****, Japan is getting RAVAGED by nature right now, they really don't need this. Although the threat is supposedly not "severe" as far as volcanic eruptions go. In less than a week, they've had an earthquake, a tsunami, they've got a problem with some of their nuclear reactors and a volcanic eruption, it's crazy

Ryo Chan said:
the volcano was erupting before the earthquake anyway, it had just gone quiet

They had some activity 2 weeks ago, but that was it. Anyway, it's more to do with the bad timing of everything happening than anything

i tell you what thought, it feels like it's someone playing with the disaster tool on sim city 2000

if this appears i'm running

simcity2000alienthumb.jpg

GODZIWA!!!!

- no really. this is abit too much for any nation :( hopefully things will get better soon (for example, the death numbers stop rising would be much better right now)

I wonder how many of the historical japanese buildings and areas have kept up in all of this. i really wanted to go to japan in my lifetime and take in the history :/

Didn't a phillosipher predict that the end of the world would start in the east? or am i dreamin this up...

eitheir way, i've been reading about radiation radius' online, some say it could reach western coast of america, others are saying that it'll only be 6 miles from the plant.

Don't want this to turn into some twisted end of the world type of thing where we end up in fallout 3 or something. but if it becomes a domino effect we could all be f***ed.

Tachi- said:
Didn't a phillosipher predict that the end of the world would start in the east? or am i dreamin this up...

eitheir way, i've been reading about radiation radius' online, some say it could reach western coast of america, others are saying that it'll only be 6 miles from the plant.

Don't want this to turn into some twisted end of the world type of thing where we end up in fallout 3 or something. but if it becomes a domino effect we could all be f***ed.

I don't recall a Philosopher saying that. Anyway, it's hardly going to be based on anything, is it? All the "End of the world" theories are generally pretty balls. And if it does reach the west coast of America, I can't really see how it'd be a domino effect. The best we can do now is just support Japan through donations and our thoughts, and wills as humans. Even if some of us may be unable to give as much as others - we can certainly be strong and supportive of the country. While some may say this means little to nothing, it certainly is a morale boost to see nations uniting to help them.

It was the same guy who predicted the 2nd world war would be spearheaded by a man called hitler (although his spelling was maginly off)

Can't remember his name anyway.

But my domino effect i mean WRT radiation getting around. If it reaches western america then they may vacate to other parts of america to get out of the radiation zone, but it may be on/in some people, surely it can be transferred through the air and could harm certain people (children or to-be-mothers)

I don't want any of this to happen, just saying.... if it did, it'd be terrible.

Donated money

Sea water being pumped into the now 3rd reactor that has begun its dangerous state.

Tachi- said:
It was the same guy who predicted the 2nd world war would be spearheaded by a man called hitler (although his spelling was maginly off)

So we're supposed to believe him? I mean, lets consider how many thousands may have made a prediction, just he was the one who happened to be right. It's likely bollocks. End of the world predictions usually are.

Back