Japanese Phrase thread

Well, I was about to contribute and all too...

Just so you know, です [desu], whilst acting in a similar way, shouldn't really be thought of as "is, are, ect." It is known as the copula, and effectively equates one thing to another, although is actually used to very little capacity other than to just make speech more polite, at least by my understanding.

For example, ねこはしろい [neko wa shiroi], is just as complete a sentence as ねこはしろいです [neko wa shiroi desu]. The latter is only usually used in formal speech, being more polite.

kekaru, whilst many of your translations are accurate to a degree, the pronunciations are really quite off. Remember, Japanese is a totally syllabic language, with only one possible consonant ending (ん [n]) in rudimentary speech. To be honest, the best way to get a hang for these pronunciations is to write words you learn in kana (hiragana and katakana), as these will force you to abide by the Japanese way of speaking. For example, you will find that あした [ashita], or tomorrow, which you have given as "ashta" is actually missing a very weak "i". It's pronounced "a - shi - ta", although in fast, fluent speech the "i" in "shi" is often heard to be dropped. Another example is the translation of good day, こんには [konnichiwa], which actually has an extra "n" consonant sound dropped in; "ko - n - ni - chi - wa". As with あした [ashita], this extra "n" is often dropped in quick speech, but one still needs to know that it's there.

I've only been studying Japanese in my spare time too, so please, if I've made a mistake do tell me - it can only help. But, I hope that what I've said will have at least helped in a small way.

adamcube said:
Well, I was about to contribute and all too...

Just so you know, です [desu], whilst acting in a similar way, shouldn't really be thought of as "is, are, ect." It is known as the copula, and effectively equates one thing to another, although is actually used to very little capacity other than to just make speech more polite, at least by my understanding.

For example, ねこはしろい [neko wa shiroi], is just as complete a sentence as ねこはしろいです [neko wa shiroi desu]. The latter is only usually used in formal speech, being more polite.............................

thank you, thats what i wanted the thread to be more like, people helping people ^__^

I'll try make a few changes to the original thread list, if I may:

です[desu]
The polite copula; goes at the end of a sentence equation one thing to another.

と [to]
Basic word for "and", used within sentences. わたしはりんごといちごがすき。 [Watashi wa ringo to ichigo ga suki. -> I like apples and strawberries.]

なに [nani]
General "Say, wuh?" ("What?") on its own, but can also be used in sentences. Usually if you what to use "what" in a sentence, in its common English sense, なん [nan] is the better word. これはなんですか。 [Kore wa nan desu ka. -> What's this? (Polite)]

あした [ashita]
Tomorrow. じゃ、またあした、ね。 [Ja, mata ashita, ne. -> Well then, see ya tomorrow, okay? (Informal: probably heard it in anime - sure as hell I have.)]

きょ [kyo]
Today. きょはげつようび。 [Kyo wa getsuyoubi. -> Today is Monday.]

Pronunciations for numbers:
1: いち [ichi], 2: に [ni], 3: さん [san], 4: よん or し [yon or shi], 5: ご [go], 6: ろく [roku], 7: なな or しち [nana or shichi], 8: ひゃく [hyaku], 9: きゅう [kyuu], 10: じゅう [juu]. Where more than one pronunciation is given, the first is most common in my experience. Learn where to use which case by case.

おはようございます [Ohayou gozaimasu]
Good morning, set phrase.

こんにちは [Konnichiwa]
Good day, or general "hello", set phrase.

こんばんは [Konbanwa]
Good evening, set phrase.

おげんきですか。 [O-genki desu ka.]
Are you well? How are you? This is really polite.

Between equals だいじょうぶ [Daijoubu] is far more common, which can be used both as a question with rising intonation, and as an answer with an afirmative tone.

げんきです。 [Genki desu.]
I'm well, quite polite, again see だいじょうぶ [Daijoubu].

おなまえはなんですか。 [O-namae wa nan desu ka.]
What is your name? This is very polite, in most cases you could just say あなたは [Anata wa] with a rising intonation, prefixing it with "sorry", すみません [Sumimasen], to soften it's harshness a tad.

There are many ways to answer this. In most cases, if it's clear you're the person being talked about, you may skip the whole わたしは [Watashi wa], just saying NAME です [NAME desu]. There are more polite ways, but generally you won't need these.

Generally, a polite introduction will go like this:

はじめまして。わたしはadamcubeです。どぞうよろしく。 [Hajimemashite. Watashi wa adamcube desu. Dozou yoroshiku. -> Pleased to meet you. I am adamcube. Please treat me kindly.]

There are infinite variations to work with, depending on social status, but you won't go far wrong with that general one.

はい / いいえ [Hai / Iie]
Yes and No. Be careful with the pronunciation of いいえ [Iie]; if you fail to stress the double "i" then it becomes いえ [Ie], or house.

わかります / わかりません / わかりますか。 [Wakarimasu / wakarimasen / wakarimasu ka.]
I (he, she, it, ect.) understand(s) / I (he, she, it, ect.) do(es) not understand / Do(es) you (he, she, it, ect.) understand? For the most part, in rudimentary Japanese speech, subject is ambiguous, and is understood from content.

ありがとう / ありがとうございます [Arigatou / arigatou gozaimasu]
Thank you / thank you very much.

どもう [Domou]
Thanks.

The above two can be combined for greater politeness and emphasis; どもうありがとう / どもうありがとうございます [Domou arigatou / Domou arigatou gozaimasu -> Thank you so much / Thank you so, so very much. (Haha - these are horrible approximations!)]

おねがい [Onegai]
Please. This actually means a wish or request. Add -します [-shimasu] to the end, and the translation is "please do it" or "please take the discussed action".

いくらですか [Ikura desu ka.]
How much is it (that)? Talking to a taxi driver: しんじゅくまではいるかですか。 [Shinjuku made wa ikura desu ka. -> How much is it to the Shinjuku district (of Tokyo)?]

どぞ 「Dozo]
Please, go ahead. This has several meanings, but usually indicates "you first" in a polite sense. It could be said allowing someone to pass through a door ahead of you, or when handing them a drink. Keep in mind that it is very polite; you probably won't hear it that much between equals.

わたしとたべませんか。 [Watashi to tabemasen ka.]
Won't you eat with me? Would you eat with me? The "shi" sound in わたし [watashi] is often softened in fast, fluent speech, leaving a sound like "watash to". This should not be said on purpose, you will find naturally that as you speak faster, the sound will soften naturally.

----

That's just a list of important ammendments to your original list, as I see them. I reserve my right to be wrong - someone who knows please say if you find mistakes! It can only help me learn.

I also think that your last phrase should be: こんにちは、わかりますか。 Remeber that Japanese does not use question marks. Also, you need to include the extra ん [n] consonant in こんにちわ [konnichiwa].

じゃ、またね。

Just a few words/phrases, seeing as how I have about 40 minutes to burn:

Start with:

I; Watashi, watakushi, ore, boku, kimi, atashi,

My; Any of the above + no

e.g: boku no namae kurisu (desu) = My name is Chris

or... watashi wa kurisu (desu) = I am Chris

Verbs:

すごい, sugoi - Great

すさまじい, susamajii - Terrible

きれい, kirei - Pretty

きれい, kirai - Hate

Objects:

えんぴつ, empitsu - Pencil

かみ, kami - Paper

くるま, kuruma - Car

ケ一キ, ke-ki - Cake

Places:

トイレ, toire - Toilet

えき, eki - Train Station

ほにゃ, honya - Bookstore

にくや, nikuya - Butchers

More later

McIcy said:
Bought a kitten and my girlfriend called it Suki = Love however it can also mean Spade so thats what I prefer to call it

Ai means love, IIRC, not Suki.

Cheeky said:
It's getting atsui in here...

... Use full English or full Japanese please, not a mixture of both, it just makes you look bad, mayn.

*revives the thread*

can any one tell me what this stands for please? thanks
i1366999_0004.jpg

t1367112_Untitled2copy.jpg

kekaru said:
*revives the thread*

i1366999_0004.jpg

Top one is 'o', and bottom ones, from left to right are 'pa' and 'mo'.

To add something:

ga hoshii = to want

aiso kuremo ga hoshii = I want some ice cream.

Kurogane said:
kekaru said:
*revives the thread*

i1366999_0004.jpg

Top one is 'o', and bottom ones, from left to right are 'pa' and 'mo'.

To add something:

ga hoshii = to want

aiso kuremo ga hoshii = I want some ice cream.

thank you ^_^

Verbs (masu forms):

たべます - Tabemasu = To eat
のみます - Nomimasu = To drink
よみます - Yomimasu = To read
します - Shimasu = To do
かいま - Kaimasu = To buy
はなせます - Hanasemasu = To Speak

mashita = past tense, did

---------------------------------------------------------

i) ごはん を たべました (gohan o tabemashita)= I ate (some) rice.
ii) さけ を のみます が すき (sake o nomimasu ga suki) I like drinking sake.
iii) に年前本でほにゃがよみました (ni nen mae hon de honya yomimashita) 2 years ago, I read a book at the bookstore.
iv) これ を しません (kore o shimasen) I didn't do it.
v)きょ はテレビ を かいました (kyo wa terebi o kaimashita) Yesterday, I bought a TV.
vi)日本語と英語がはなせます (nihongo to eigo ga hanasemasu) I speak Japanese and English.

Some of that may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's right on the money.

Oh, and: 巨乳 (kyoniyau) = huge breasts

8) :lol:

Back