Japanese music.

Been meaning to check out Boris for a while...

Anyway, i've a liking for Dir En Grey on occaision. I also enjoy Merzbow in small doses; which is enough considering it's the pretentious, musical equivilent of abstract art.

Also a big fan of instrumental/japanese hiphop like Nomak or Nujabes. It's a lot less gash than the shite chart hiphop we get over here.

I'm not really into Japanese music apart from the brilliant Mr. Hirasawa. Aurora is probably my favourite song of his:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DenjnV-6gqQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DenjnV-6gqQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

First time I heard his music on Millennium Actress I had to immediately hunt down more. It's so different and really provokes and emotional response in the listener, which is one of the reasons his music fits so well with Satoshi Kon's films.

Spyro201 said:
Favorite JRock Band: Nightmare

Or are you counting Nightmare as Visual Kei??

Nightmare probably do count, but it's all good as long as you post about the music.

Recently taken a linking to Sambomaster and Vidoll!

"I love Japan, period!" "Sake!" "GIRUGAMESH"

Ooooh. One band I completely forgot about there.

SIGH! One of my favourite metal bands.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8Jle0ymveng&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8Jle0ymveng&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I like Ayumi Hamasaki, ..in more than just one way.
She has a lovely voice, ...face, ......and body. I hope to meet her one day.

kayanat said:
Where is a trusty place that I can download Japanese music? I want to upload Japanese songs but I want to find a reliable and trustworthy site to do so. Any places I could go? And iTunes doesn't carry much Japanese music.

Have you tried using the amazon or play.com download service? I've never used it but it seems to have most of the biggest songs and albums.

iTunes has loads if you get a JP iTunes account ;)

I'm surprised at how much is on the UK version too, but I have a JP account for the rest. Still a few labels missing but mainstream stuff is very well represented.

R

A quick look through my library reveals I've been really getting into Japanese music in recent months...here's the current rundown (or look at my last.fm profile):

Acidman
Bonnie Pink
Boom Boom Satellites
Dir en Grey
Susumu Hirasawa
Maaya Sakamoto
Mad Capsule Markets
Mono
Monoral
Soft Ballet
Spangle Call Lilli Line
Supercar

I'm still in the process of discovering new stuff so my listening is a bit scattershot!

Amray said:
I like Ayumi Hamasaki, ..in more than just one way.
She has a lovely voice, ...face, ......and body. I hope to meet her one day.

You'll have some competition! I admire how she still sings and is so successful despite being completely deaf in one ear! You go Ayumi!! Very inspiring.

BoA's Korean but she sings a lot of her songs in Japanese! And what about Rurutia? Kotoko?

And for Japanese music.. I ask that you all be good and don't overload the site.. go here.

[Mod Edit: Deleted link to MP3 sharing site which doesn't in any way support the artists, don't post it again]

A really nice community, safe downloads and a lot of people contribute. Enjoy!

Please don't link to filesharing sites. We're meant to be fans and support the artists, and it's against the Anime UK News site rules to help people get this stuff through those channels.

I can't stand BoA's musical style (nothing personal), but Rurutia is nice. I have to admit, I mostly got into her because of her stunningly beautiful CD covers she has, but the music kept me interested.

R

RetroRainbow said:
After first hearing 'Electro World', afterwards I'd it on a loop for quite a while. It's now one of the most played songs on my Ipod~ how did that happen

Argh I hate you, I listened to it once on YouTube to see what you meant and ever since it's been creeping back into my head. I'm going to have to buy something from them next time I do a shop.

R

Out of interest, and this is really directed at Lupus;

I'm seriously loving Girugamesh's album, "Music"- What else by this band would you reccomend to listen to next? Similar bands? The new Dir En Grey album was decent too but- Girugamesh are frickin' badass.

Ayumi Hamasaki is my favourite Japanese singer. In fact she is a favourite singer of mine altogether. Not only does she have the cutest voice I have ever heard but she is also extremely cute herself by means of 'looks'. Her songs are usually very unique and awesome. There is a song called "The Judgement Day" where all she does through the entire somg is "La La La La": but it sounds so good! I want to meet her! If I did I would most certainly hug her.

I like Maximum the Hormone too. They remind me of Enter Shikari.

Spyro201 said:

I don't like Girugamesh, bro. But I can still give you something if you want.

Asobi Seksu are pretty good, only got their first album, Citrus.

@ Amray: Well... Maximum the Hormone actually supported Enter Shikari like a year ago IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lupus said:
Spyro201 said:

I don't like Girugamesh, bro. But I can still give you something if you want.

Asobi Seksu are pretty good, only got their first album, Citrus.

Aaaaaah.

Cool i'll check Asobi Seksu out though.

Edit: Just looked em up... an Indie band? mhm....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back