Japanese Movies

I like all the old samurai flicks..............Seven samurai, Yojimbo, & my personal favourite, After the rain.

Kagemusha is great, Takeda Shingen, in my books, is up there with Hideyoshi, Tokugawa & Nobunaga. So any film that kind of focuses on Takeda or at least his copycat is great.

I also enjoyed the entire Baby Cart movie series. The Musashi triliogy series is pretty good but I prefer the book.

I also have the 7 part Zatoichi series, which is so-so but haven't seen the new film. Just didn't look too good.

Oh and the 2 Lady Snowblood films are fairly decent.

SundayMorningCall said:
i saw the Live Action Death Note film, does that count?
It counts as a Japanese movie. It doesn't however count as a good Japanese movie.

I just bought Zatoichi on Blu-ray yesterday. Hopefully I'll enjoy it.

mangaman74 said:
Zatoichi - Watched the blu-ray version over the weekend. I'd rate it with up there with Kitano's best such as Hana-Bi.
=) Zatoichi is awesome, I actually like brother better than hana-bi, althought both are great movies.

@ Yuvie - After the rain is absolutely beautiful. I've beejn searching this movie so I could buy it, but I can't seem to find it. =(

Yeah, I've only got a VHS copy of it and I have forever been searching for a DVD version of this movie myself. It truly is the best and most under-rated over the samurai movies from around that time.

Under-rated in the west you mean, after the rain screenplay was written by Akira Kurosawa, was shoot by a Kurosawa collaborator, in the Kurosawa studios / production company.
Issue here is that this was not enough to grant this great movie a proper release outside Japan =(

Edit: I've just found an R4 release with english subtitles =D
http://www.livrariacultura.com.br/scrip ... 46A30&uid=

Yeah, I guess that's true with most of the old samurai releases in the west but at least they have dvd releases.

As for the region 4 dvd, I might just have to get that. God bless the man who created multi-region dvd players.

Back