Japan and shopping

I'm a little nervous about quote-spamming everyone, but I wanted to say that I've read and noted all the replies, thank you everyone!! We were gonna do a day trip to Kamakura and I'm a girl with heavy obsession with fashion to answer sweet witch's question! I've also noted down the info about which option for wifi/data, and about the shops you guys have added and given me!!

I am a little nervous and confused about which option to do money wise, I was gonna take cash but put some extra onto either a Suica card or these other options and don't know where to go or decide from there!

I am a little nervous and confused about which option to do money wise, I was gonna take cash but put some extra onto either a Suica card or these other options and don't know where to go or decide from there!
I have always used cash mainly because it's easier for all involved. However in the last five years or more, I've noticed a lot more shops take credit cards. Don't quote me, but most convenience stores accept credit cards as well. I know Lawson does. The only place they might not taken them is smaller shops and restaurants. I don't bother with paying stuff on the IC cards (Suica, Pasmo etc), mostly because I fear I'll stuff it up and won't have enough for the train! If you're worried about getting robbed with having large amounts of cash on you, don't. It's highly unlikely you'll be mugged. The only place I saw pickpockets was at the entrance of Kabukicho at night.

I'm a little nervous about quote-spamming everyone, but I wanted to say that I've read and noted all the replies, thank you everyone!! We were gonna do a day trip to Kamakura and I'm a girl with heavy obsession with fashion to answer sweet witch's question! I've also noted down the info about which option for wifi/data, and about the shops you guys have added and given me!!

Lots of places do take cards, especially big chains, but cash is still king. More and more shops are taking Suica but you need to top them up with cash at a station.... As I mentioned 7/11 ATMs are best for foreign cards and they're everywhere.

I don't bother with paying stuff on the IC cards (Suica, Pasmo etc), mostly because I fear I'll stuff it up and won't have enough for the train!

There's machines on the platform side of the ticket barriers for topping the cards up so you can just put cash on and then go through if you're short! One thing I would advise is DO NOT use your Suica in arcades, it's so so easy to just keep tapping it and suddenly you've spent ¥5000 trying to win a crane game....

Back