Japan+Alcohol+Law+Me= :(

skikes

Stand User
ok so i go away to japan in like 6months... and ive just realised u have to be 20 to drink/get into clubs. which is **** becus i'm just 19... any1 know how strict they are with inforcing this law with foreigners?

i mean how are they even gonna be able to read my d.o.b on my passport anyways?

I wasn't going to say anything but it's no wonder that most of the world sees us as a bunch of drunken yobs. Why do you have to get **** faced? Why not just enjoy a drink or two within limits? If you're **** faced then what's the point in going to another country and doing it, you can do that at home. How can you immerse yourself in another culture if you've got a hangover... Seeing as you can't legally drink over there anyway I suggest that you just respect their laws and enjoy what else they have to offer.

Whatever, eh.

Sy said:
I wasn't going to say anything but it's no wonder that most of the world sees us as a bunch of drunken yobs. Why do you have to get **** faced? Why not just enjoy a drink or two within limits? If you're **** faced then what's the point in going to another country and doing it, you can do that at home. How can you immerse yourself in another culture if you've got a hangover... Seeing as you can't legally drink over there anyway I suggest that you just respect their laws and enjoy what else they have to offer.

Whatever, eh.

... you know there are Alcohol vending machines in Japan? (unless they been removed)

But buck up, you are GOING to Japan. If you're that fussy and you desperately can't go without a drink, then give me the ticket and I'll go. I can find many interesting things in Japan and won't ever think about Alcohol...

...brb, need some lager.

A lot of clubs won't let foreigners enter nightclubs/bars without being with a native. Simply because of all the Marine/Navy assholes that get stationed in Japan, and end up causing fights/breaking laws.

Plus the whole gaijin xenophobia thing.

To be honest if you think no alchohol is going to ruin the whole trip to japan, then i'd think there is something wrong with you. There is so much more in japan to do than just get yourself drunk. And as for the d.o.b bit, they do use 1,2,3 and so on like we do, so reading your d.o.b will be easy enough.

I think some people are completely overreacting to skikes's sadness at his inability to legally drink upon his forthcoming visit to Japan. It's not like he said he wants to go to Japan just to get drunk every night and sleep it off every day. I'm sure he only intends to go to some clubs, or some bars, once or twice while over there and I can understand that because clubs are bars are a fun way to spend some time and I'm pretty sure that Japanese clubs and bars would be different to their UK counterparts. There's nothing at all wrong with wanting to experience Japanese night-life.

I'm just glad I'll be 20 by my third year in university, which is the year I get to spend in Japan :]

CitizenGeek said:
I think some people are completely overreacting to skikes's

no its skikes. hell go over, get drunk, take some pictures and then make a thread about how he got it on with some japanaese dude.

damn you sy

Kurogane said:
A lot of clubs won't let foreigners enter nightclubs/bars without being with a native. Simply because of all the Marine/Navy assholes that get stationed in Japan, and end up causing fights/breaking laws.

Plus the whole gaijin xenophobia thing.
I didn't know about the 20+ drinking law TBH (but then, America's even more stringent) but this fact makes me a bit worried about my planned visit...it's an understandable precaution though I guess if they've had trouble with Westerners in the past. Given the trouble that British tourists cause when drinking, I'm not overly surprised! Hopefully the average Toyko barman will realise I'm a weedy pacifist who's over the legal age and won't cause any trouble.

Yeah, it's a bit of a bummer that you can't go into certain places but again, other countries have similar laws (e.g. the US) and I'm sure there's plenty of other stuff to do. Just be glad you're going!

Nyu said:
no its skikes. hell go over, get drunk, take some pictures and then make a thread about how he got it on with some japanaese dude.

I think you should probably stop acting like you know skikes so well, when if you did, you'd know he was going with his boyfriend. It's doubtful he's going to get it on with another guy in Japan while his boyfriend is there with him :p

Back