IT'S A GUNDAM! The Gundam Home Release Checklist

This needs updating given the part 1 CE edition of build fighters try was just released, not to mention the SE of build fighters has also been released.

Crunchyroll US currently has a summer sale going on. I wonder if I should buy the remaining titles that haven't been released by Alltheanime or if I should wait longer... Especially since Rightstuf no longer exists which means that sublicensing older Gundam titles may be a lot more difficult than before...

Titles I've seen on sale that haven't been released yet by AtA:
Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War In the Pocket
After War Gundam X

The US release of 08th MS Team has a very poor encode just like 0083. If you don't want to wait for a UK release, pick the Japanese U.C. Blu-ray Libraries release with English subs.

I'm still holding out for a UK release of 08th MS Team, but if they use the US discs, I'll import the JP release .

Crunchyroll US currently has a summer sale going on. I wonder if I should buy the remaining titles that haven't been released by Alltheanime or if I should wait longer... Especially since Rightstuf no longer exists which means that sublicensing older Gundam titles may be a lot more difficult than before...

Titles I've seen on sale that haven't been released yet by AtA:
Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War In the Pocket
After War Gundam X
War in the Pocket is the best Gundam series in my book. Short, sharp shock. I imported mine a few months back just because I wanted it.

The US release of 08th MS Team has a very poor encode just like 0083. If you don't want to wait for a UK release, pick the Japanese U.C. Blu-ray Libraries release with English subs.

I'm still holding out for a UK release of 08th MS Team, but if they use the US discs, I'll import the JP release .
Just curious, what's so poor about the encode of 08th MS Team and 0083? Thanks

Just curious, what's so poor about the encode of 08th MS Team and 0083? Thanks
Tons of banding and artifacting in darker colors. 0083 happens to be dark, so it's a big problem there. The encoding issues and lack of the original Japanese version (I hate the 5.1 redub) were bad enough that I imported the U.C. Libraries release of 0083. I've only checked the first episode of US release of 08th MS Team, but the encode was just as bad as 0083 despite the much higher video bitrate.

Tons of banding and artifacting in darker colors. 0083 happens to be dark, so it's a big problem there. The encoding issues and lack of the original Japanese version (I hate the 5.1 redub) were bad enough that I imported the U.C. Libraries release of 0083. I've only checked the first episode of US release of 08th MS Team, but the encode was just as bad as 0083 despite the much higher video bitrate.
Do you think it's worth getting the 0083 UC Libraries version IF I already owned the AL CE and the US Bandai DVD set?

Are the extras in that UCL set the same and subbed? Thanks

Do you think it's worth getting the 0083 UC Libraries version IF I already owned the AL CE and the US Bandai DVD set?

Are the extras in that UCL set the same and subbed? Thanks
It was worth it to me for the original voice actor performances, but it's also a lot of money. In your case the original performances are also covered by the Bandai DVD which I don't have.

Extras and the Mayflower in Space OVAs are not subtitled unfortunately. The UCL set has more extras, but missing are the promos and the compilation film (sold separately).

Bandai Namco Filmworks has provided some clarifications regarding the Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Freedom special edition release.

The footage shown in the special edition screening will be the same as the content included in the Blu-ray, 4K UHD-BD, and DVD release of the film
The "Special Edition Screening" is an initiative where fans can enjoy the movie, which has been updated with over 500 cuts, on the big screen first.

The new epilogue cuts can only be enjoyed during the "Special Edition” Screenings. Different versions will be screened in the first and second parts.
Please note, the epilogue cuts are not planned to be included in the Blu-ray, 4K UHD-BD, or DVD release of Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Freedom.

——
Link: 『機動戦士ガンダムSEED FREEDOM』公式サイト

Hi all, first post on this forum! And it's a naive question about Gundam.

As you all know we're missing War in the Pocket, but I was wondering if veterans around here who have spidey sense when it comes to this industry, believe that the UK will eventually get a bluray release within the next universal century. Or if I should just get the US bluray and be done with it. I don't mind waiting if people are confident we'll get a release though.

I was wondering if veterans around here who have spidey sense when it comes to this industry, believe that the UK will eventually get a bluray release within the next universal century.
I wish that I did have such powers (hello, by the way). If you flip back a few pages you’ll see people here have been asking the same question of both 0080 and 08th MS Team for literally years now, everybody is confused as to why the Yanks have them and we don’t (they also have V, which I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else wish for like those other titles, but I will). Meanwhile Anime Limited has been merrily churning out everything Gundam but the missing pieces of the UC and now Crunchyroll appear to have their foot in Sunrise’s door as well. So if these titles will appear in the UK, when and even from whom is unfortunately still anybody’s guess.

I wish that I did have such powers (hello, by the way). If you flip back a few pages you’ll see people here have been asking the same question of both 0080 and 08th MS Team for literally years now, everybody is confused as to why the Yanks have them and we don’t (they also have V, which I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else wish for like those other titles, but I will). Meanwhile Anime Limited has been merrily churning out everything Gundam but the missing pieces of the UC and now Crunchyroll appear to have their foot in Sunrise’s door as well. So if these titles will appear in the UK, when and even from whom is unfortunately still anybody’s guess.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Yeah it's odd how Anime Ltd skipped two beloved entries in the franchise, but I think as long as they still have the rights to produce more blurays from Gundam, I'll have a glimmer of hope we'll get there eventually. I didn't know Crunchyroll were also putting out Gundam blus, I wonder if they now have the rights to Pocket and MS Team...

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Yeah it's odd how Anime Ltd skipped two beloved entries in the franchise, but I think as long as they still have the rights to produce more blurays from Gundam, I'll have a glimmer of hope we'll get there eventually. I didn't know Crunchyroll were also putting out Gundam blus, I wonder if they now have the rights to Pocket and MS Team...
Afaik they only have the rights to Doans Island and WfM here and in the US yet Bandai handled the theatrical distribution of Seed Freedom in the US themselves.

Afaik they only have the rights to Doans Island and WfM here and in the US yet Bandai handled the theatrical distribution of Seed Freedom in the US themselves.
Nozomi/Rightstuf previously handled Gundam blu-ray distribution in the US though, and they are now another feather in Crunchyroll’s cap (which is really more of a full native American war bonnet at this point). I don’t know if anything can be inferred by the fact the two most recent Gundam releases in the UK have gone to them and not AL, but until any further licence announcements are made all anyone can really do is speculate.

Back