Is Digimon Tri a film series or a show?

thedoctor2016

Mushi-shi
With how CR are releasing Digimon Tri as 4 separate episodes (with OPs and EDS), and Japan releasing it as films i no longer know if it is a show or a film series.

It's a film according to both MAL and WIkipedia, CR are just editing it down for easier consumption.

From Wikipedia:

Digimon Adventure tri. (Japanese: デジモンアドベンチャーtri. Hepburn: Dejimon Adobenchā Torai?) is a 2015 Japanese action-adventure anime film series produced by Toei Animation. It is a six-part series of films in Akiyoshi Hongo's Digimon franchise, serving as a direct sequel to the first two television series, Digimon Adventure and Digimon Adventure 02, and celebrates the anime franchise's 15th anniversary.[1] The first film, Saikai (再会 Reunion?), was released on November 21, 2015 and will be released on region-free DVD and Blu-ray in Japan on December 18, 2015.[2] The films are being streamed outside of Japan by Crunchyroll as 24 episodes released in blocks of four

Crunchyroll's versions do feel oddly cut in terms of the endings, but I am happier to watch the series in sets of four than one whole OVA at a time considering the overall length of each.

Does Digimon the anime compare as poorly to Pokemon the anime as I imagine it does? Digimon was better before it went all "anime" stylee. Like, when it was the edgy version of the Tamagochi. But then it just became the poor mans Pokemon.

vashdaman said:
Does Digimon the anime compare as poorly to Pokemon the anime as I imagine it does? Digimon was better before it went all "anime" stylee. Like, when it was the edgy version of the Tamagochi. But then it just became the poor mans Pokemon.

It's a good show, with some nice themes going on plus really good character development. Not sure what you mean by poor man's Pokemon, given that neither are expensive franchises to be a fan of.

Pokemon - better games, Digimon - better shows (first 3 seasons anyway), although Digimon is getting good games as of recent

The idiom "a poor man's ____" means that it's viewed as an inferior alternative rather than that either is especially cheap. Of course literally it would have meant that a poor man couldn't afford the real deal; nowadays though it has a broader meaning.

I was a bit too old to be the target audience for either and I didn't really like the style of Digimon, but it certainly had a loyal group of fans in its heyday. There's a real outpouring of nostalgia now that it's had this new anime.

R

Not sure about Adventure 1 and 2 but I feel the third season, Tamers, would definitely hold up now. I haven't seen it since I was a kid but I remember that show going some fairly dark places in its second half, mostly revolving around the character of Jeri. I'd be interested in watching it but it isn't streaming anywhere I can see and the DVDs are fairly pricey.

Back