Introducing Anime to Non-Fans

On the point about Ghibli films, I agree that it would be difficult to use them as a starting point, unless you were to continue recommending that they watch either Ghibli or Madhouse produced films. Reason being, not necessarily because they are at the top of a lot of people's top anime lists, but because when I've watched them, they give me quite a different feel as to when i watch a TV anime (generally speaking). i do, however, think that the more popular titles should be ones to get people into - preferably the shorter shows and it helps if they are indeed popular because then it's more likely that they would have heard the title of the show somewhere before and it will be easy to find others whom can back you up and say 'yeah that's really good'.

Also, it's important to bear in mind what they like in general - if they like shows that are more grounded, it makes sense that they will prefer more grounded anime, that are possibly darker and with a bit more depth to them. if, however, they are fans of fiction/fantasy then of course it would make sense that they would probably like fantasy anime.

i showed my Dad Attack on Titan, Code Geass and Death Note and he enjoyed them - once I get the BDs with the dub, i shall also show him Parasyte and Tokyo Ghoul. Aside from enjoying these myself, i know that my Dad would appreciate these kind of shows. He is a big fan of adult humour so I shall be showing him Prison School once the BDs are out - with this show i will make him watch with subs though, because it's way funnier.

My mum, on the other hand, likes soap operas and crime dramas etc. so I hope to, at some point, show her Psycho-Pass because I feel that even though it's technically sci-fi, the show relies more upon the detective/police side of things rather than the tech of the future, aside from of course the enforcers and some other equipment.

ayase said:
Does anyone actually "like anime" though? Not a trick question (and perfect for taking out of context) and I know it's what brings us all together here at AUKN, but I imagine there are certain examples of anime each of us can't stand. Yeah, we like anime, but #NotAllAnime.
I thought about this for a while, as I agree it's a good question. I decided that yes, I definitely do. I love way opening sequences are just as much a part of a show as anything else, I love the excitement of new shows starting every three months, I love following which shows my favorite seiyuu are being cast in, and a whole host of other things about the industry. I also think that one of the reasons I don't "like" all anime is because I care enough to have an opinion.

Like I say, it wasn't a trick question. I know we're all fans of anime here, perhaps a better way to phrase it is that I think it's unlikely you're going to turn someone who already has developed tastes of their own into a fan of anime. You might get them to watch some anime. They might even enjoy it. But they're probably not going to enjoy all (like you say, they would have literally no taste if they liked everything) or even most of it. I don't think I would even say I enjoy "most" anime despite being interested in voice actors and creators and having an interest in the industry in general.

Do people pick up fandoms later in life? What prompts them to do so? Would you even want to try and make somebody who doesn't already like the things that you like like those things? Why? These are more meta questions that are probably beyond the scope of the OP.

Its a tough job, but I have found fight scenes to work best. That way people get interested in a few fights. And they experience the first time awkward, inappropriate, moment for themselves.

Back