Indomina to produce Afro Samurai live-action movie

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Indomina, an American/Dominican Republic production company, announced on Thursday that it will be producing the live-action adaptation of Afro Samurai. Singh Mann (Indomina Chariman & CEO), Samuel L. Jackson (Actor) and Shin Ishikawa (Gonzo Studios) are lined up as producers, with Eli Selden (Anonymous Content) as Executive Producer. Snigh Mann described Afro Samurai as "the perfect property" to exploit through vertical channels, targeted to what Snigh called "a fanboy audience". Producers plan to find a writer and director in the summer, with casting to be completed by the end of the year, so filming can begin at Pinewood Indomina Studios in the Domincan Republic. Stacey Smart Stanley (Indomina) and Chris Carlisle (Gonzo) are overseeing the development for their respective companies.

Jackson has been quoted as saying:
"This has been one of my very favorite properties ever since our amazing debut at Comic-Con with the original series pilot out of Japan. I can't wait to produce the epic feature film version with our new partners at The Indomina Group."

Both Takashi Okazaki's source manga and the anime star a samurai (with an afro, in case you didn't know) wandering across an alternate-world Japan, which mixes the feudal with the futuristic. Samuel L. Jackson voiced the titular character in the 2007 mini-series and in the movie sequel Afro Samurai: Resurrection.

Source: Anime News Network

ilmaestro said:
That SLJ quotation stinks so hard of PR ********. Does he really call things "properties"?
"I want those mother fuckin' properties on my mother fuckin' schedule!"

targeted to what Snigh called "a fanboy audience"
I think this could be its downfall, commercially. There's been a few movies which got good fanboy buzz online, but were failures, or at least disappointments, commercially.

memorium said:
I'll watch it, but only if SLJ stars in it, otherwise it would just be pointless
iirc, there was talk early on about SLJ being too old to play Afro, although he could play Afro's father.

Back