Indo-Japanese Ramayana

thenakedswami

Hikikomori
Hi All,

I'm interested in sounding out Anime fans in the U.K regarding the above mentioned film which was premiered back in 1994 at the Cardiff International Animation Festival & also at Birmingham the same year.

It's an unusual example of Japanese Anime design aesthetics and Indian visual design and in its original format ran to almost 3 hours in widescreen with Dolby sound and an English & Japanese v/o - since then only one entire film print is in existence since it was edited and re-versioned for various markets & the master prints / negatives were lost or are unavailable.

Firstly, would fans here be keen to see it ? - this is not directed specifically at any demographic, i.e. you don't have to be Hindu.

If it was made available in DVD / BluRay in its original format would it be of interest to Anime fans ?

It's a film that really needs to be seen in the cinema but given that it was originally created on the cusp of the digital era, being cel-animated (all the animation was carried out in Japan) only a film print exists - would fans be keen to see it in 4K digital in a limited cinema release ?

Would Anime fans be interested in an exhaustive "making of" book in line with its 25th anniversary this year ?

It may be of interest to know that Neil Gaiman was approached to write a version for Dreamworks after this film was released, which was never made even though it went through extensive pre-production so in many ways this film is something of a landmark in animation terms.

Questions and comments welcome.

I hadn't heard of this before but it certainly sounds interesting. It's entirely possible I'd take a punt on that if it were to be released on Blu-ray, but my local cinemas always seem to miss out when it comes to anime screenings and in general, I'm not sure how large an audience something that seems like kind of a niche within a niche would attract at the cinema. Best of luck with the project though, it seems like something that deserves to see a wider release.

I hadn't heard of this before but it certainly sounds interesting. It's entirely possible I'd take a punt on that if it were to be released on Blu-ray, but my local cinemas always seem to miss out when it comes to anime screenings and in general, I'm not sure how large an audience something that seems like kind of a niche within a niche would attract at the cinema. Best of luck with the project though, it seems like something that deserves to see a wider release.

Thanks @ayase

Getting cinema releases for Anime in the U.K, in general is quite difficult - usually some connection to Studio Ghibli helps on that front, or festival runs etc.

The latest news I have on the film is that some anniversary screenings are due in Japan this year in cinemas that can show film, i.e. not digital and very limited for that reason, and there is some restoration work to be carried out on it before a 4K transfer can be done.

There will be a website in Japanese and English at some point so I'll post a link here when I know more.

Yes it is very niche, but interesting all the same and the action sequences are as good as anything you'd see in most Anime.

Back